Automotive

Moved to Alberta. How to deal with so much rock and gravel on the road?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 27th, 2016 10:39 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2008
4269 posts
1710 upvotes

Moved to Alberta. How to deal with so much rock and gravel on the road?

I just recently moved to Alberta from BC. Also moved with my near brand new car (6 months old, 7000 km). Never knew we had it so good in BC. The roads are....crap. Potholes everywhere, and all the rock, gravel and sand on the road make me think I'm driving on unpaved roads. How to best protect the exterior of my car, other than frequent washing? Any tips or advice would be appreciated.
26 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2012
3359 posts
719 upvotes
Canada
don't drive your car, period.
Sep 27, 2009
740 posts
99 upvotes
Calgary
Wrap the front of the car with 3M foil. The bumper, hood, A-pillars, mirrors. I was in the same position last year, my car was in perfect condition before moving here, after only one winter there are rock chips all over. You either protect your car or learn not to care.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
3254 posts
902 upvotes
Edmonton
What a hater......
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
Temp. Banned
Sep 6, 2009
2182 posts
206 upvotes
ilove wrote:
Jan 26th, 2016 1:47 am
I just recently moved to Alberta from BC. Also moved with my near brand new car (6 months old, 7000 km). Never knew we had it so good in BC. The roads are....crap. Potholes everywhere, and all the rock, gravel and sand on the road make me think I'm driving on unpaved roads. How to best protect the exterior of my car, other than frequent washing? Any tips or advice would be appreciated.
Take the bus
Brand NEW FUJIFILM F900EXR FOR SALE ASKING $225
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2013
5283 posts
1157 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Get used to it, lol. For rock chips 3M protection helps. If you like having a nice windshield expect to replace it yearly or semi yearly.
Consultant
- Oilfield & Industrial Services - Finance - IT -
In the Alberta Oilfield since 2013
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2014
2467 posts
548 upvotes
Ottawa
(2+2)x(2+2)

^The Alberta special.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2007
1158 posts
421 upvotes
get ready for yearly windsheild changes.
- Insert Something here so you will be able to recognize me.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2010
2555 posts
290 upvotes
Hahaha...the roads are bad! Calgary roads are pristine compared to Winnipeg...there are so few potholes and heaves here it almost matches the US of A for road conditions. There are definitely a ***** ton of rocks being tossed around here; I don't know what it is about the stones, but your windshield and front bumper/hood will get chipped. The roads themselves are definitely in very good condition though.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2006
1045 posts
108 upvotes
Calgary
Get a beater for winter.
Alberta Auto, Home, Business and Travel Insurance Broker
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2009
1916 posts
409 upvotes
Calgary
I've always wrapped my cars in 3M when I buy them.

I also expect to replace my windshield every 1-2 years.
Deal Guru
Nov 5, 2001
10812 posts
1346 upvotes
Edmonton
guessboi wrote:
Jan 26th, 2016 12:02 pm
Get a beater for winter.
Ding Ding Ding. Winner.

Gravel is a fact of life here, ice salt only works down to -15 to -20c so gravel is the fallback.

Cheap mid to late 90s compact suv or awd is the ticket.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
2874 posts
1673 upvotes
Canadia
ilove wrote:
Jan 26th, 2016 1:47 am
3M film on the front of the car. You will also end up with windshield chips, so get them repaired quickly once they happen.

This is the curse of living somewhere that actually has winter. You get the nasty freeze-thaw cycles that cause potholes along with the need for lots of sand and gravel. :)