• Mar 20th, 2017 3:36 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
22381 posts
4563 upvotes
GTHA

Movie based on the Rob Ford crack scandal, Filth City

The film is screening at Scotiabank Theatre on March 25 and tickets are available.

from http://www.blogto.com/film/2017/03/movi ... l-toronto/
The scandals surrounding Rob Ford's time as Toronto mayor seemed endless, but it was the crack smoking video that got worldwide attention.

So it's no surprise the media circus, characters and stories that came out of it have inspired a feature film.

"Based on true events," Filth City is about a crack-smoking mayor seeking re-election.

The putatively dark comedy directed by Andy King shows a power hungry mayor wrapped in controversy who will stop at nothing to make sure the video of him smoking crack doesn't get into the wrong hands.

Based on the trailer, the movie looks entirely outlandish, but we'll reserve judgment until it's actually been screened.

Though there's no direct mention of the Ford name (he's called Mayor Hogg in the movie), the storyline and casting quite intentionally give it away.

Kenny Hotz from Kenny vs Spenny and Melinda Shankar from Season eight of Degrassi: Next Generation star in the film.
26 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2013
3555 posts
1121 upvotes
BC / GVA
Doesn't seem very tasteful considering Rob died.
An ironic wise man once said, "Buy now, think later. The bubble will never burst."

¯\_(-.-)_/¯
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2011
1068 posts
151 upvotes
From the trailer it looks like a horrible movie. Only people that will go see it are the haters that just want one last kick at the corpse.
Alex
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2010
1319 posts
156 upvotes
Markham
dealseaker101 wrote:
Mar 8th, 2017 12:55 am
Doesn't seem very tasteful considering Rob died.
Just because an individual died, does not distract from the fact that he was a drug user, and lacked the polical integrity to hold office. He was never my idea of a good politician. He was so disillusional he never realized that late talk television only wanted him to poke fun at him.
Sep 1, 2013
342 posts
80 upvotes
Mississauga
Judging by the title and name of the mayor, subtlety isn't among the filmmaker's strengths.

Hopefully there's a post-credits scene that reveals this takes place in the Trailer Park Boys cinematic universe.
Deal Guru
Oct 13, 2009
12417 posts
2354 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Let the man RIP. This is in bad taste.
Firebolt wrote:
Feb 12th, 2016 1:09 pm
give lots of head for sick knee fadez, give lots of lap dances for ca$h wallet fades. Always pop that leg when kissing for dope honey combs, knee lots of mans in the crotch for killer whiskers, low ride like an og for them stacks. And traintracks? Only achievable by a legend in the denim game
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2010
1319 posts
156 upvotes
Markham
Doug Ford should go there opening night, set up a collapsable table and chair, and do a book signing.
Sorry just because he died, doesn't make him a better man, husband or father.
Other comments in this thread that this movie looks like trash are dead on.
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2006
3670 posts
1962 upvotes
North York
PCUSER wrote:
Mar 8th, 2017 9:03 am
Just because an individual died, does not distract from the fact that he was a drug user, and lacked the polical integrity to hold office. He was never my idea of a good politician. He was so disillusional he never realized that late talk television only wanted him to poke fun at him.
you like tory?
How do I downvote this voting system?
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2001
15157 posts
363 upvotes
Richmond Hill
nasa25 wrote:
Mar 8th, 2017 10:20 am
Let the man RIP. This is in bad taste.
+1
Deal Guru
Oct 13, 2009
12417 posts
2354 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
PCUSER wrote:
Rob Ford, as a pure politician, was probably one of the best ever. People voted for him because they liked him. Regardless of the f'd up stuff that he did. He made people feel like he cared about them. Like he was a normal guy, just like one of them. That human connection/likeability factor is something you can't teach.

Honestly I didn't care much for the man but I found myself sad to hear of his passing. Cancer isn't something I'd wish on my worst enemy.
Firebolt wrote:
give lots of head for sick knee fadez, give lots of lap dances for ca$h wallet fades. Always pop that leg when kissing for dope honey combs, knee lots of mans in the crotch for killer whiskers, low ride like an og for them stacks. And traintracks? Only achievable by a legend in the denim game
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2001
15157 posts
363 upvotes
Richmond Hill
nasa25 wrote:
Mar 8th, 2017 12:15 pm
Rob Ford, as a pure politician, was probably one of the best ever. People voted for him because they liked him. Regardless of the f'd up stuff that he did. He made people feel like he cared about them. Like he was a normal guy, just like one of them. That human connection/likeability factor is something you can't teach.

Honestly I didn't care much for the man but I found myself sad to hear of his passing. Cancer isn't something I'd wish on my worst enemy.
Yeah. During the Rob Ford era progressives hated him SOOOO MUCH.

But honestly, compared to Donald Trump? Rob Ford was probably 1000x better as a human being.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
2478 posts
775 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
PCUSER wrote:
Agreed!
Deal Guru
Oct 13, 2009
12417 posts
2354 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Of course Doug has to be on cp24 flapping his gums about this movie......
Firebolt wrote:
Nov 2, 2016
18 posts
PCUSER wrote:
While Rob Ford was a drug abuser, it doesn't change the fact that the movie is tasteless. What does this movie accomplish exactly? Is it worth reopening the wounds of his family and friends just for a few laughs? As far as I'm concerned, the movie shows a significant lack of tact and compassion on the part of the producers.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel