• Last Updated:
  • Dec 12th, 2017 4:14 pm
[OP]
Jan 29, 2017
543 posts
511 upvotes
heymikey wrote:
Aug 19th, 2017 3:49 am
Yes, they have this in the UK, which I will sorely miss when I move back to Canada. The movie subscription pass is actually owned and managed by the cinema company themselves, which locks its subscribers to only patronise their cinemas. Plus, you get discounts on food and drinks, and one pass even gives you discounts on a few select restaurant chains as well. It costs about £17 a month to watch any movie at any cinema in the UK outside central London (£19 incl central London) whenever you want. Although you pay an additional charge if you watch on an imax or 3D (one movie pass waives the 3D charge if you have been a member for at least one year).
How are they ensuring you don't share your pass with others?
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2006
3113 posts
234 upvotes
London, EU
peli33 wrote:
Aug 19th, 2017 8:00 pm
How are they ensuring you don't share your pass with others?
It has a photo of you in the card and you show the card with your ticket (either from your mobile phone or printed at a kiosk). Plus, you can only book one ticket within that movie's timespan (for example, if you booked a movie that is showing from 8-10pm, you cannot book another movie that starts or ends within that time frame).
[OP]
Jan 29, 2017
543 posts
511 upvotes
heymikey wrote:
Aug 21st, 2017 8:22 am
It has a photo of you in the card and you show the card with your ticket (either from your mobile phone or printed at a kiosk). Plus, you can only book one ticket within that movie's timespan (for example, if you booked a movie that is showing from 8-10pm, you cannot book another movie that starts or ends within that time frame).
Makes sense. I wonder if AMC wanted to start their own similar service exclusive to AMC but at a higher cost. Hence AMC attempts to discredit the little player in case people get used to the 10 price and expect the same even when moviepass fails.
Deal Addict
May 3, 2008
4386 posts
234 upvotes
Canada outside of Quebec anyways is mostly just Cineplex. A lot of the smaller or non-chain theatres shutdown here and even AMC got taken over by Cineplex here. So I don't see it happening, the US still has some small level of competition and more independent theatres for it to be viable there.
It takes an ocean not to break
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2006
3113 posts
234 upvotes
London, EU
Nettles wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2017 10:06 pm
Canada outside of Quebec anyways is mostly just Cineplex. A lot of the smaller or non-chain theatres shutdown here and even AMC got taken over by Cineplex here. So I don't see it happening, the US still has some small level of competition and more independent theatres for it to be viable there.
Yeah, competition is always good. Here in the UK, there are several major cinema chains -- Cineworld, Odeon, Vue, and Empire. Then, there is a large following for smaller chains that mainly provide independent (non-blockbuster) films, like Everyman, Picturehouse, and Curzon. Plus, there's the immersive Secret Cinema (an example film that they did was Back to the Future). And not to mention the several outdoor cinemas around London, and the sing-alongs and all-nighters at the Prince Charles Cinema.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
7504 posts
784 upvotes
Victoria
Given that I only go to theatres to see blockbusters (I'm perfectly contact watching drama's/comedy's at home). If they did that surge price movie ticket thing... it would only service to increase the price of the movies I bother going to the theatre to see. It would probably make me go to less movies. I already find them pretty expensive (only kept affordable using RFD).
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2006
3113 posts
234 upvotes
London, EU
I don't understand why it seems difficult to have it in North America when compared to the UK or Belgium. Both have cinema chains providing unlimited movie subscription services to its customers.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2009
4638 posts
2329 upvotes
scoper wrote:
Aug 15th, 2017 11:15 pm
I would be all over this if it launched in Canada. It will kill Cineplex's own ticket sales so it will be a dicey proposition for theatre companies even though they will have full theatres and sell more concessions. Less and less movies are enough of a draw to get people going to theatres these days though so a club program like this may be their salvation.
Short-term it wont matter cause Movie Pass is compensating the theatres at full price.

Long-Term if the company dies and suddenly they have to pay $10 per movie again people will think it's a rip off.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2009
4638 posts
2329 upvotes
jenviea wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 5:09 pm
How about surge pricing for movies?

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/regal ... 202599097/

Didn't know TIFF already deployed such pricing

http://www.ctvnews.ca/entertainment/58- ... -1.3067220

Back on topic, MoviePass subscriber base is growing rapidly

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/2 ... rojections
They used to do this in the old days a little bit... matinees before 6pm used to be cheaper than after 6pm.

But Im not a fan of surge to begin with...I dont want my Star Wars ticket to be $100 or something stupid.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2009
4638 posts
2329 upvotes
I think Cineplex with its scene membership would have a TON of data to try this.

Maybe a one month membership for $20 and see how it goes...I mean very few people are going to go to the movies everyday anyways... most wont even be going every week.

Just do it like a gym membership....10% will be using it alot, 90% barely to none...