• Aug 7th, 2018 9:57 am
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3414 posts
747 upvotes
Toronto
Sanyo wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 8:04 pm
I think Cineplex with its scene membership would have a TON of data to try this.

Maybe a one month membership for $20 and see how it goes...I mean very few people are going to go to the movies everyday anyways... most wont even be going every week.

Just do it like a gym membership....10% will be using it alot, 90% barely to none...
And really, they want people to be going to the movies... but only if those people are spending at the movies. If Cineplex opts to do it, they need to better advertise and upsell the whole "moviegoing experience", with popcorn and candy and nachos and hot dogs and drinks and collectible mugs and collectible movie-themed 3d glasses and other crap that they can sell.

If they can convince moviegoers that because they're saving on the price of the movie, they should then spend on complementary goods in the theatre, then that's where they'll make a profit. The ones they will lose out on are the people who will use the pass often and won't buy anything or will sneak in food of their own.
XBox Live: M1GO | PSN: CURRENTLY INACTIVE
Jul 23, 2008
43 posts
9 upvotes
toronto
I would be open to this as I don't pay for food or drinks and wouldn't mind seeing three-five movies a month. I would be really surprised if this thing did happen and even more so if it was priced at anything less than 30 dollars a month. Me personally, I pay for 1-2 movies a month on Tuesdays for 5 bucks. That might change with a 20-25 dollar pass.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
15136 posts
3108 upvotes
Toronto
I would pay up to $20 a month but only on a month by month basis since the summer months is when I would utilize it the most.
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2009
4226 posts
569 upvotes
Montreal
M1GOmigs wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 10:58 am
And really, they want people to be going to the movies... but only if those people are spending at the movies. If Cineplex opts to do it, they need to better advertise and upsell the whole "moviegoing experience", with popcorn and candy and nachos and hot dogs and drinks and collectible mugs and collectible movie-themed 3d glasses and other crap that they can sell.

If they can convince moviegoers that because they're saving on the price of the movie, they should then spend on complementary goods in the theatre, then that's where they'll make a profit. The ones they will lose out on are the people who will use the pass often and won't buy anything or will sneak in food of their own.
You mean most of US?
LMAO.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3414 posts
747 upvotes
Toronto
cn_habs wrote:
Dec 31st, 2017 12:33 am
You mean most of US?
LMAO.
Sure, many people in RFD will do that,and a proportion of moviegoers too... but most of the regular people I see at the theatre are still buying popcorn and drinks and candy, which comes up to like $25 anyway...
XBox Live: M1GO | PSN: CURRENTLY INACTIVE
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2009
6230 posts
3431 upvotes
Cineplex makes good profit. But they need bodies in the theatre and they still make much of their money on the % of box office... if that portion is largely gone they could experience problems, even if food has the biggest profit margins.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2007
1199 posts
68 upvotes
Toronto
Cineplex's main profits isn't derived from ticket sales. Cineplex (and other movie theatres across Canada) get a very small cut from ticket sales since almost all of it goes to movie productions companies but Cineplex does get a higher percentage cut from people seeing a movie in IMAX, 3D, D-Box, or VIP.

Almost all of Cineplex's revenue is generated from concessions like popcorn, food, drinks, alcohol, etc. This wouldn't be a complete loss to Cineplex for this if it means more people coming through their doors and people are buying concession items. If people don't buy concessions items, Cineplex won't introduce this.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2017
1026 posts
800 upvotes
onexeyed wrote:
Jan 1st, 2018 2:48 pm
Cineplex's main profits isn't derived from ticket sales. Cineplex (and other movie theatres across Canada) get a very small cut from ticket sales since almost all of it goes to movie productions companies but Cineplex does get a higher percentage cut from people seeing a movie in IMAX, 3D, D-Box, or VIP.

Almost all of Cineplex's revenue is generated from concessions like popcorn, food, drinks, alcohol, etc. This wouldn't be a complete loss to Cineplex for this if it means more people coming through their doors and people are buying concession items. If people don't buy concessions items, Cineplex won't introduce this.
You can view Cinplex Q3 2017 report to investors here:

http://irfiles.cineplex.com/reportsandf ... t_2017.pdf

Revenues from box office for first three quarters was 530m while Film cost was 278m, close to a 50-50% split on average with studios.

A nice markup on food services as expected. Average client spends around $10 on movie tickets and $6 on concessions. They get to keep around $5 for tickets and around $4.7 for concessions per client after paying associated expenses.
Penalty Box
Mar 20, 2009
1285 posts
186 upvotes
Toronto
I'd consider checking this out if it came to Canada, but have no doubt it would be a rip off price.

To be honest - movie watching has really diminished (for me) over the last few years - even at home.
There are so many creative and well developed shows that fill this void, and I can hardly keep up.

I often now get the feeling that many movies try to cram in so much in 2 hours, when it would be far better suited in a more time friendly format.
Temp. Banned
Dec 7, 2012
31628 posts
8042 upvotes
GTHA
MoviePass Cuts Price Again, Bundles Subscription With Fandor
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... ng-1083507
The service that offers a movie ticket each day to subscribers who pay just $9.95 per month said late Friday that it will lower its price to $7.95, and that the new price includes free access to Fandor, a streaming service that boasts the biggest collection of independent films.

The partners said Friday it was a "limited offer" and the Fandor subscription would run out after a year. Plus, there's a $19.95 "processing fee" that brings the one-year total to $115.35, which customers must pay for up front.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
7991 posts
905 upvotes
Victoria
If I ever got it, it would be because there's was multiple movies I wanted to see in the same month. I'd do what I used to do with Netflix. I'd buy a month long sub, watch my 2 or 3 things, then cancel it again.

I agree with the poster above. The quality of TV has surpassed movies, at least the old midbudget non-blockbuster fair. I've really only been going to theatre to see new marvel movies, DC movies, Star Wars, and the odd Tarantino or Christopher Nolan movies (Two directors, that I like their work enough to go out and watch it in the theatre). It creates long gaps of time of not going to the theatre as most movies come out in the spring or late fall/early winter.
Aug 16, 2017
655 posts
118 upvotes
Toronto
when is this coming to Canada? Me and my wife love going to the movies and subscribing will be a no brainer for us.