Moving after getting Ontario Electric Vehicle Incentive

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 16th, 2018 7:49 am
[OP]
Jul 14, 2018
2 posts
2 upvotes

Moving after getting Ontario Electric Vehicle Incentive

I tried googling this to no avail - a few weeks ago I purchased a PHEV in Toronto that qualified for the provincial government EHVIP rebate of $7000. The dealer applied on my behalf and deducted it from the purchase price. No less than a few days later I was contacted by a headhunter in Quebec for a great position and after a few interviews they made an offer that I couldn't refuse. According to the terms of the EHVIP, the car has to remain registered in Ontario for 12 months, or I have to pay the $7000 back. I have a few questions:

1) Obviously I'm going to change my insurance, I wouldn't run the risk of having a claim denied. To do this I assume I have to change my license - do I have to change my plates as well? Or am I okay to update my insurance and license and keep driving with Ontario plates?

2) If that doesn't work, how would the Ontario government find out that I registered my car elsewhere? Would they be notified or somehow be able to find out that I changed the plates? Plus, now that the EHVIP has been cancelled, would they even care? Moreover, does the fact that the dealer applied for it and took it off the price change anything?

I appreciate any insight. I understand why the government has this rule, but I bought the car intending to stay in Ontario, and would really like to not have to pay an extra $7000. Thanks!
3 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
30297 posts
16125 upvotes
Ottawa
Follow the rules and accept the clawback.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2009
3324 posts
1935 upvotes
Ontario
People have been getting letters waiving their obligations under EHVIP even though they have not met the length of ownership requirements. You could argue that either the obligations should continue to apply to everyone or they should be waived for everyone.
"Never wrestle with a pig. You'll both get dirty, and the pig likes it"
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
34090 posts
7930 upvotes
Ottawa
Martin (deal addict) wrote: People have been getting letters waiving their obligations under EHVIP even though they have not met the length of ownership requirements. You could argue that either the obligations should continue to apply to everyone or they should be waived for everyone.
With the cancellation of the subsidy in Ontario, things may have changed.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.