• Last Updated:
  • Oct 17th, 2017 5:59 pm
[OP]
Apr 8, 2017
83 posts
21 upvotes
Maple Ridge

Moving on from the M4/3 Olympus E-M5 to E-M1

I'm nowhere near professional with cameras. My first real camera was the Olympus E-M5 with the 12-50mm and 20mm 1.7. Traveled with that for quite some time and have really enjoyed using it. However, i'm looking to move up (a little). With the second versions of the E-M5 and E-M1 out, it seems people are getting rid of their old bodies. Time for me to swoop in.

I'm curious what you guys think of the possible deals around Christmas for the E-M1 and the pro 12-40mm. Locally there's someone selling a used E-M1 with 45mm 1.8 for $550... Which seems quite good. But i'm wondering if I should hold out until the holidays where I assume there will at least be a lot more used cameras going up for sale as more switch to newer gear?

I'm only dreaming of any of those 2nd generation cameras :P And i'm alright with that!
23 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10488 posts
1612 upvotes
Ottawa
out of curiosity, what do you hope to get with a EM1 which the EM5 doesn't have? The actual sensor hasn't changed that much so there must be other reasons.

The 12-40 lens would be a great lens to have, but the EM1 with 12-40 is a much bigger and heavier kit.
Honey, I can't go to bed yet. Somebody is wrong on the Internet!
[OP]
Apr 8, 2017
83 posts
21 upvotes
Maple Ridge
Well as I understand it, the Em1 has all the same features but does them better? I read that it was even more durable and the weatherproofing more... Weatherproof. The built in wifi would come in handy for me as well.

The downsides would be weight and bulk, but neither of those were too much greater than the em5 I believe.

Of course the 12-40 is my main goal, but i've seen more than a few sellers selling them together.

I'm in no rush, however.
Deal Guru
Jul 16, 2003
10050 posts
370 upvotes
Toronto
em1 with 45mm for $550? Hook me up thats a hot deal.

the em1 is great, way better ergo, wifi, can use the old lens, you can probably flip your em5 for $150-200 which means this upgrade would cost $100... SIGN ME UP!!!! PM ME with details if you don't want it lol
Follow me on instagram to see Toronto https://instagram.com/kennyk3n/
Aug 25, 2015
812 posts
175 upvotes
Montreal, QC
the m1 mk1 for $550? that's a crazy good deal. from what i know, the m5 mk2 has most features of the m1 mk1 so if you're looking to upgrade, do it! sell the m5 and grab the crazy deal of the m1 and save up for the pro lens as it's doubtful there's going to be much of a deal on the m1 mk2 as that one was release last year and there haven't been much of a deal on it since

you can even sell the 45mm for a decent price too
May 17, 2012
815 posts
297 upvotes
grand valley
it sounds like a nice upgrade IF you will make use of the improvements over em5. you could always sell the 12-50, 20mm and 45mm and use it towards a 12-40 pro

what i like (for me)
1/8000 sec shutter, focus peaking (for legacy lenses), fast max flash sync speed (1/320)

i still have and love the em10 mk1 and while i do get the occasional bout of GAS but dont really see a compelling reason to do so (for me).
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10488 posts
1612 upvotes
Ottawa
it would sort of make sense to hold out for the EM5 Mk2 if you're not in a rush. In the EM5ii, You get most of the important features trickling down from the EM1 but the EM5-ii adds some tricks of its own that make it even more versatile: swivel LCD, improved IBIS, high res mode. As a travel camera, you'll still appreciate the smaller size, and even the ability to frame selfies with the swivel screen. The argument for the EM1 would be if you have regular 4/3 lenses or shoot moving objects more often.

Even the EM10Mk2 would actually be a worthwhile upgrade if you don't mind the lack of waterproofness and if you want some important features like electronic silent shutter, built in flash, or wifi.

Definitely go for the 12-40 if you can though.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2472 posts
412 upvotes
I haven't replaced my EPL-5 yet because there's no reason to upgrade bodies yet. $ per performance there's literally little gain in image quality, just more "abilities"
[OP]
Apr 8, 2017
83 posts
21 upvotes
Maple Ridge
Thanks for the replies all. I missed out on that deal I posted originally. I was away from town for work and the seller sold it before I got back!

However, I now found a deal on an E-m5 II! :P I can get a used one for $650 with a 17mm 2.8 and an extra battery. I'd likely just sell the 17mm as I look to getting the 12-40mm. It is missing the flash, though :/. OR, I go for an E-M1 body for $420...
May 5, 2010
797 posts
208 upvotes
Sorry for being out of topic, but if the Pen F is sold cheaper, will anyone of you consider it?

All the reviews and articles I read don't really recommend the Pen F because of the price, but if the price isn't a major factor, will it be better than the EM5 II?
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10488 posts
1612 upvotes
Ottawa
Gin Martini wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 9:44 am
Sorry for being out of topic, but if the Pen F is sold cheaper, will anyone of you consider it?

All the reviews and articles I read don't really recommend the Pen F because of the price, but if the price isn't a major factor, will it be better than the EM5 II?
It's not a better camera except for the higher res sensor. It loses weather sealing, has an inferior EVF, and has no mic input. I like that it's smaller/lighter and doesn't have the hump in the middle, and of course, it looks nicer :)

I plan to get one but not until the price comes down more.
Aug 25, 2015
812 posts
175 upvotes
Montreal, QC
OutsideYourWorld wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 11:22 pm
Thanks for the replies all. I missed out on that deal I posted originally. I was away from town for work and the seller sold it before I got back!

However, I now found a deal on an E-m5 II! :P I can get a used one for $650 with a 17mm 2.8 and an extra battery. I'd likely just sell the 17mm as I look to getting the 12-40mm. It is missing the flash, though :/. OR, I go for an E-M1 body for $420...
the E-M1 and E-M5 II share similarities with the M1 having better grip. for the price, i'd get the M1. the 17mm f2.8 won't get much of a price used
May 5, 2010
797 posts
208 upvotes
warpdrive wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 4:09 pm
It's not a better camera except for the higher res sensor. It loses weather sealing, has an inferior EVF, and has no mic input. I like that it's smaller/lighter and doesn't have the hump in the middle, and of course, it looks nicer :)

I plan to get one but not until the price comes down more.
Thanks fo the input. By inferior EVF, you mean that it is smaller? I'll be fine with smaller if the resolution and refresh rate are on par with the EM5II or EM1. If not, it's a real bummer since I use almost exclusively viewfinder on my cameras.
I'm also looking for the price to come down. My sweet spot will be sub $1000. Paired with a Voigtlander 17mm F0.95 and I'm will be a happy MFT owner.

Last question for anyone who owns MFT camera, do you all shoot in 4:3? Most prints are in 3:2. So does choosing another aspect ratio also crop the RAW files?
May 17, 2012
815 posts
297 upvotes
grand valley
Gin Martini wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 10:56 pm
Last question for anyone who owns MFT camera, do you all shoot in 4:3? Most prints are in 3:2. So does choosing another aspect ratio also crop the RAW files?
it will crop the 4:3 image but only when jpeg only mode. if you shoot raw, the entire 4:3 image will be saved. the view in the EVF and back screen will be at whatever aspect ratio you chose. when you open the file up in lightroom it will come up cropped at the aspect ratio set in the camera however, you can "uncrop" it back to 4:3 -- the in-camera aspect ratio cropping is a non-destructive edit.

personally, i always shoot 4:3 and decide if i want to crop to a different aspect ratio in post. but if you like to compose in 3:2 then that's a different story.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10488 posts
1612 upvotes
Ottawa
Gin Martini wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 10:56 pm
Thanks fo the input. By inferior EVF, you mean that it is smaller?
yes, it's smaller. The PENF has the EVF of the EM10 II whereas the EM5 II has the EVF of the EM1. I don't think it's a biggy but it's a step backwards after you have gotten used to the bigger EVF of its siblings. I do prefer that the EVF is on the left side, which is good as I use my left eye anyway.