• Last Updated:
  • Oct 17th, 2017 5:59 pm
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10491 posts
1613 upvotes
Ottawa
I always shoot in 4:3.

If you like 3:2, it might be useful to have it in RAW+JPEG mode so you can either take the cropped JPEG or the RAW.

I use UHS-II cards since the Olympus supports these ultra fast cards to write both RAW and JPEG as fast as possible.
https://www.cameramemoryspeed.com/olymp ... omparison/
Honey, I can't go to bed yet. Somebody is wrong on the Internet!
May 5, 2010
798 posts
208 upvotes
I always shoot in 3:2 and RAW+JPEG too. Good to know that the viewfinder will show in 3:2 if needed.

I have being shooting and composing in 3:2 for the last 6-7 years (1 inch sensor, APS-C, FF), but I also shoot 16:9 on my smartphone, so I'll also try 4:3 whenever I get a MFT camera. It is just good to know that there's option for easy 3:2 if I want to stay on that road.
May 5, 2010
798 posts
208 upvotes
warpdrive wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 7:41 am
yes, it's smaller. The PENF has the EVF of the EM10 II whereas the EM5 II has the EVF of the EM1. I don't think it's a biggy but it's a step backwards after you have gotten used to the bigger EVF of its siblings. I do prefer that the EVF is on the left side, which is good as I use my left eye anyway.
I'm fine with that then. I switch between my X-T1 & X100T depending on the event and the size of the EVF never bothered me that much and anything compared to the X-T1's EVF feels small.
You said you use your left eye, same as me, then why is the EVF on the left side better? It's the same as having it on the top. Your nose will still be behind the LCD screen. Unless you meant your left eye from my perspective? So right eye dominant?
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10491 posts
1613 upvotes
Ottawa
Gin Martini wrote:
Oct 14th, 2017 10:36 am
I'm fine with that then. I switch between my X-T1 & X100T depending on the event and the size of the EVF never bothered me that much and anything compared to the X-T1's EVF feels small.
You said you use your left eye, same as me, then why is the EVF on the left side better? It's the same as having it on the top. Your nose will still be behind the LCD screen. Unless you meant your left eye from my perspective? So right eye dominant?
Yes, I am left eye dominant so I shoot with my left eye and my nose is centered over the screen and the back controls are further from my nose on the penf compared to the em5. It's a small preference thing but It just feels more centered and balanced to shoot

I've always preferred the rangefinder style bodies due to the viewfinder on the left. And no hump that wastes some space when trying to slip the body into a slim bag.

$1000 is probably my pulling trigger point too. No rush and I'm not really willing to spend a premium on a m43 body beyond that because the regular m43 bodies are already good (EM10 ii, EM5 ii) and the value isn't justified. The EM10 with a good lens like the 12-35 or 12-40 is a good knockaround workhorse and it's arguable whether one should spend any more than that.
Honey, I can't go to bed yet. Somebody is wrong on the Internet!
May 5, 2010
798 posts
208 upvotes
warpdrive wrote:
Oct 14th, 2017 1:37 pm
Yes, I am left eye dominant so I shoot with my left eye and my nose is centered over the screen and the back controls are further from my nose on the penf compared to the em5. It's a small preference thing but It just feels more centered and balanced to shoot

I've always preferred the rangefinder style bodies due to the viewfinder on the left. And no hump that wastes some space when trying to slip the body into a slim bag.

$1000 is probably my pulling trigger point too. No rush and I'm not really willing to spend a premium on a m43 body beyond that because the regular m43 bodies are already good (EM10 ii, EM5 ii) and the value isn't justified. The EM10 with a good lens like the 12-35 or 12-40 is a good knockaround workhorse and it's arguable whether one should spend any more than that.

I do find rangefinder with optical viewfinder really useful to see beyond what's in the frame. On my X100T, even without my tele converter, I can see almost 40% of what's outside the frame depending on my angle of viewing the VF. Dead center, I can see like 20-25% of what's outside. So if I'm shooting a moving subject, I can see it before it's in the frame.
When it comes to electronic, I prefer on top.

There was a few times that the Pen F reached so close to $999. It was $1200 for a long time then came a promotion to save a few hundreds by buying a lens too.
[OP]
Apr 8, 2017
84 posts
22 upvotes
Maple Ridge
So found yet another local deal, but this one i'm jumping on.

E-m5 II, with battery grip and three extra batteries, with a 12-40mm for 1300 (After I bargained down 200).

I think it's a pretty decent deal.
May 5, 2010
798 posts
208 upvotes
OutsideYourWorld wrote:
Oct 17th, 2017 3:36 pm
So found yet another local deal, but this one i'm jumping on.

E-m5 II, with battery grip and three extra batteries, with a 12-40mm for 1300 (After I bargained down 200).

I think it's a pretty decent deal.
Go OP! The lens itself is already around $1050 new before tax (at Camera Canada right now). If you want & eventually will get that lens, it's a good deal.
[OP]
Apr 8, 2017
84 posts
22 upvotes
Maple Ridge
Yea I think this is the best i'll get! Might pick up a Rokinon 7.5mm for 175 while i'm in the city.... Early Christmas... That's how I justify it.
Aug 25, 2015
815 posts
175 upvotes
Montreal, QC
wow. that's a freaking great deal. basically getting the m5 for $200