Off Topic

Moving to Oakville/Burlington - need local input!

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 15th, 2017 12:06 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Dec 1, 2014
41 posts
18 upvotes
Burlington, ON

Moving to Oakville/Burlington - need local input!

Hi All,

I need some local help.....

I'm planning to move from Montreal and targeting Oakville/Burlington area to raise our 1 year old. Can anyone recommend:

1. Trusted and reputable mechanic shop to maintain my cars? Both are recent model Japanese cars that we keep for at least 10 years.

2. Good restaurants in the area? Any type of ethnicity works for us. We are adventurous as long as the quality of the food is good.

3. Daycare for 2+ year old?

4. Home Internet and phone company? I was thinking TekSavyy but open to options. TV is not required... I will likely go OTA.

5. Which are the best medium to large employers in the area?

I appreciate any and all feedback.
29 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2005
1480 posts
214 upvotes
Maple
I don't want to sound condescending but it seems your moving to a place because someone with money said oakville/burlington is a nice place to live. Your questions (besides employers in the area ) sound like someone a kid would ask their parents before they move to a new area. If your "planning" then all of these questions would have obviously been looked at and answered within 5 minutes of a google search.
[OP]
Dec 1, 2014
41 posts
18 upvotes
Burlington, ON
@corcoran_chris: no offense taken. We spent time this summer visiting Brampton, Mississauga, Etobicoke, Milton, Burlington, and Oakville. We even checked-out the Toronto downtown core. We are not city living people. We also cross-referenced against top suburb ratings from the internet. Burlington and Oakville had the community feel we wanted. It just felt like it could be home for us. Also, home prices in Brampton are hard to resist but just wasn't for us.

I'm attempting to tap into local input.

If anyone would be kind enough to recommend a local mechanic, daycare, etc... your help would be very much appreciated.
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2005
1480 posts
214 upvotes
Maple
Having lived in mississauga, Brampton, okaville and now Milton every area will achieve what you want, its the negatives you have to weigh out.

Depending on your race, Georgetown is great as well, you will have an added commute for work but the town is beautiful and well taken care off.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2007
5552 posts
1245 upvotes
corcoran_chris wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2014 1:43 pm
Having lived in mississauga, Brampton, okaville and now Milton every area will achieve what you want, its the negatives you have to weigh out.

Depending on your race, Georgetown is great as well, you will have an added commute for work but the town is beautiful and well taken care off.
+1 for this. I moved there back in 2011 and LOVE it. Very quiet city with very kind people (including the kids and teenagers). All your needs are within the city but if not, it's only a short drive to the neighboring cities and the 401. The Toronto Premium Outlet Mall is also close by if you're into that type of thing. Georgetown is mainly a commuter city in that most people work outside of Georgetown. I also like that there's no public transit so no buses clog the roads.

As for the "depending on your race" part, the majority of Georgetown is white however, I've never experienced any racism or discrimination while living there (I'm Chinese). In fact, they treat me like one of their own. A lot of people will say Georgetown is for people on white flight escaping Brampton's ever growing Indian/brown population.

I was born and grew up in Guelph and from time to time, I've noticed the occasional glare or less than stellar treatment. Georgetown has yet to show that.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2007
2086 posts
327 upvotes
Plank Restobar or whatever is pretty good in Bronte
Stoneys Bread Company
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2006
1326 posts
72 upvotes
GTA
OP should find a job first, and then decided on where to live. Oakville / Burlington is as big as Montreal, but not likely find a job there.
More likely to find a suitable IT job in downtown Toronto, Mississauga, or Markham.
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2008
3650 posts
1097 upvotes
Toronto
you may want to look at schools before you look at mechanics, depending on what you want to baby first. ;)
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2005
1480 posts
214 upvotes
Maple
and know this, choosing an area based on work its trivial ( within reason ) because the GTA and surrounding areas that you mentioned are all a nightmare commute wise. You could be 10 minutes away on a good day, but during working hours that potentially can be 45 minutes. The gridlock is insane regardless of were your going to move.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
15887 posts
4542 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Congrats on moving to the best place to live in southern ontario
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2009
1420 posts
109 upvotes
Burlington is a sht hole. The people that live there do so cause they can't afford Oakville or south Mississauga. So between the two choose Oakville. But if you can, go to south Mississauga (Port Credit) specifically.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
2167 posts
251 upvotes
Ancaster
Andex wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2014 6:19 am
Burlington is a sht hole. The people that live there do so cause they can't afford Oakville or south Mississauga. So between the two choose Oakville. But if you can, go to south Mississauga (Port Credit) specifically.
MoneySense magazine begs to differ.

http://cms.burlington.ca/Page8102.aspx#.VH8lQP10yUk
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2014
2145 posts
405 upvotes
Ottawa
Ahh the old "Georgetown is KKK Ontario central " spirit is still alive.
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
3105 posts
602 upvotes
Toronto
AtlsNBP wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2014 10:27 am
Ahh the old "Georgetown is KKK Ontario central " spirit is still alive.
really eh? never knew that Georgetown had such a strong KKK presence. That's the first I've heard of that.