Off Topic

Moving to Oakville/Burlington - need local input!

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 15th, 2017 12:06 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2014
2122 posts
386 upvotes
Ottawa
It's probably died down now but that race comment spoke volumes.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2009
1447 posts
130 upvotes
Oakville
FilaGuy wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2014 12:09 pm
medium to large employers in the area?
Ford... :lol:
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2007
5450 posts
1183 upvotes
AtlsNBP wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2014 10:27 am
Ahh the old "Georgetown is KKK Ontario central " spirit is still alive.
They must be the nicest KKK members in the history of ever ... that or Chinese people are on the hate-exempt list now.
[OP]
Dec 1, 2014
7 posts
1 upvote
Burlington, ON
@c_snapper - thanks for the recommendations.

So to everyone else, are you buying a new car every 4 years and don't do any maintenance or going to the dealership? :) Any independent highly-rated shops for car maintenance?

As for Georgetown, houses and area look nice but seems a bit out of the way.
Apr 15, 2010
246 posts
69 upvotes
Burlington
Andex wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2014 6:19 am
Burlington is a sht hole. The people that live there do so cause they can't afford Oakville or south Mississauga. So between the two choose Oakville. But if you can, go to south Mississauga (Port Credit) specifically.
What about Brampton?
Aug 11, 2012
75 posts
4 upvotes
Mississauga
I actually found mobile mechanics to be OK. Due to the lower overhead their rates are low too. Search for them on kijiji and craigslist.
But learn a bit about your vehicle, when something is wrong with it don't just call the mechanic but research what the underlying cause is. If you are the mechanically inclined type you can fix the car yourself, thats what I do, now I rarely take the car to a mechanic. With numerous repair forums its easy to find what ails the car, ask questions on the forum if not clear.

If you will try the mobile mechanic idea you can contact several of the phone....Tell the mechanic what you think could be the cause of the problem over the phone, they will even give you an estimate. Once the mechanic comes he is less likely to take advantage of you.
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2003
8912 posts
724 upvotes
GTA
I think you are putting the "cart before the horse" so to speak. You/your wife don't have a job in Ontario and you are going to move first without securing a job? Unless one of you is self employed and the other is just looking for work I would say find a job first and that might influence where you want to live. Personally, if I worked downtown Toronto I wouldn't live in Oakville. I work in Oakville so I live here but it is very $$$ (think Toronto level rents... and more $$$ real estate if you want to buy a house).
Dec 3, 2014
110 posts
7 upvotes
Andex wrote:
Burlington is a sht hole. The people that live there do so cause they can't afford Oakville or south Mississauga. So between the two choose Oakville. But if you can, go to south Mississauga (Port Credit) specifically.
I guess you have never been to Oshawa then ?

When a sht takes sht that's what Oshawa looks like ..lol..Somalia has better cities than that
redhotdeal
Jun 25, 2010
392 posts
62 upvotes
Andex wrote:
sure and wait to get hosed with upcoming tax increases..courtesy Hazel.A city that has lacked a downtown core, with scatter neighborhoods, with very few landmarks and crumbling infrastructure.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2004
8148 posts
268 upvotes
Toronto
just to let you know, burlington is a very nice place, everything is close by QEW, HWY 407, Close to Mississauga, and cheap on car insurance
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
10322 posts
2033 upvotes
GTA
YLSF wrote:
Dec 6th, 2014 4:45 pm
I think you are putting the "cart before the horse" so to speak.
+1

Job....
House ( incl schools)....
Mechanic/eateries etc.

No point in recommending a mechanic in East Oakville if you live in west Burlington, as you'd be closer to Hamilton.
[OP]
Dec 1, 2014
7 posts
1 upvote
Burlington, ON
I came across my old thread and decided to post the outcome..

- Bought a house in Burlington (East) and a few mins from the water
- School options are great in Burlington and Oakville.. can't go wrong in most cases
- Landed a great IT position
- Commute is fine.. 407 ETR or Go train works well in either case depending where I need to be
- Tried a few mechanics... still on the hunt and started doing some of the basics like air and cabin filters, etc...
- Quality of life for a growing family is very good
- Use start.ca for internet, Ooma for phone, etc... super convenient and fairly priced

All in all, a good move! Thank you!
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2006
1994 posts
6 upvotes
Home
BluePhirePB wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2014 3:12 pm
+1 for this. I moved there back in 2011 and LOVE it. Very quiet city with very kind people (including the kids and teenagers). All your needs are within the city but if not, it's only a short drive to the neighboring cities and the 401. The Toronto Premium Outlet Mall is also close by if you're into that type of thing. Georgetown is mainly a commuter city in that most people work outside of Georgetown. I also like that there's no public transit so no buses clog the roads.

As for the "depending on your race" part, the majority of Georgetown is white however, I've never experienced any racism or discrimination while living there (I'm Chinese). In fact, they treat me like one of their own. A lot of people will say Georgetown is for people on white flight escaping Brampton's ever growing Indian/brown population.

I was born and grew up in Guelph and from time to time, I've noticed the occasional glare or less than stellar treatment. Georgetown has yet to show that.
Do you still live in Georgetown? how do you like it?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2007
5450 posts
1183 upvotes
Pensioner wrote:
Aug 15th, 2017 11:48 am
Do you still live in Georgetown? how do you like it?
Yup, still here, still love it. We recently had a street party over Canada Day weekend where all the neighbors got together for a tent party with potluck and fireworks. All the kids played together, all the parents were talking happily. There were black people, an older Chinese couple (who although clearly were not born here, conversed happily with the rest of the neighbors), hispanic family etc. Everyone had a great time!