• Jun 28th, 2018 9:30 am
[OP]
Feb 23, 2017
78 posts
15 upvotes
Oakville
speedyforme wrote:
May 30th, 2018 12:58 pm
Why are you looking to move to Ottawa? I don't know if I read your reasoning?
Because I cannot afford buying a property in the GTA, and I would like to be close to Montreal, and QC is just right across the bridge from Downtown Ottawa, and I feel that I would like a change.
May 23, 2018
5 posts
I am in a similar boat. Trying to move back to Ottawa (grew up there, have friends and family in the city, and also did buy a house there). Desperately trying to get a job in Health Canada but no luck yet...
Last edited by abab22 on May 30th, 2018 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
8610 posts
1368 upvotes
Markham
Why do you want to be close to Montreal?
Do you speak French?

Ottawa has a lot of jobs available IF you speak French.
If you hard TOR is hard to meet new people, how is it easier to meet more new people in Ottawa, which is a smaller city with a smaller population?
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
[OP]
Feb 23, 2017
78 posts
15 upvotes
Oakville
MP3_SKY wrote:
May 30th, 2018 3:48 pm
Do you speak French?

If you hard TOR is hard to meet new people, how is it easier to meet more new people in Ottawa, which is a smaller city with a smaller population?
I am taking part-time French courses, so I am learning it gradually.

I am actually living in Mississauga that's adjacent to Toronto, and ever since I wanted to move to Toronto, I was out of luck because of the high prices with renting/buying.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
8610 posts
1368 upvotes
Markham
harith86 wrote:
May 30th, 2018 4:09 pm
I am taking part-time French courses, so I am learning it gradually.

I am actually living in Mississauga that's adjacent to Toronto, and ever since I wanted to move to Toronto, I was out of luck because of the high prices with renting/buying.
I moved from MTL to Mississauga and live there for 8 years. I rent there, then bought a Condo near SQ1 and moved out from Mississauga until I got married.
Base on my experience, unless you work with a group on young people who are very chill and playful, it is very boring for someone at your age to find new friends out of your circle unless you are a very out-going and proactive to find new interest, new hobby. This has to do with personality has well, place of living is not the main factor for that.

Regarding French, I'm not sure how easy from someone who speak little French to be fluent in French and able to communicate fluent at work. Each employer have different standard for someone who speak "French".
If you are able to call Telephone Banking, Call Rogers or Bell and speak to their Rep in French and no problem understanding both ways, then I guess you are good.

Do you already know anyone in Ottawa? extended family? Friends? If not, you will be very boring by yourself in a new city. At your age, a lot of people are already married, or even have kids. This group of people won't spend as much time outside after work. they will be rather go home, see their wife and kids. That's how it is when I was working in Mississauga, people go home right after work or busy with their life outside of work.
[OP]
Feb 23, 2017
78 posts
15 upvotes
Oakville
I guess everyone's experience is different..

I was also advised that Calgary could be a nice place with a relatively good number of population, but I chose not to do such a hugh leap.

I don't have anyone in Ottawa, I am ware it's going to be challenging alin my age to make friends in a new city, but I don't have too many friends here either that I considered moving. I moved to this country when I was 26.

I made a research on Ottawa and the average age is 35-36
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
8610 posts
1368 upvotes
Markham
harith86 wrote:
May 30th, 2018 4:59 pm
I guess everyone's experience is different..

I was also advised that Calgary could be a nice place with a relatively good number of population, but I chose not to do such a hugh leap.

I don't have anyone in Ottawa, I am ware it's going to be challenging alin my age to make friends in a new city, but I don't have too many friends here either that I considered moving. I moved to this country when I was 26.

I made a research on Ottawa and the average age is 35-36

You are still young for a guy, no dependent. I guess no harm to go elsewhere for a try.
Good Luck to your new adventure!
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2004
4025 posts
431 upvotes
Ottawa
FWIW, I've lived in Ottawa my whole life and wouldn't want to live in Montreal or Toronto. Ottawa might be boring but I can't think of anything it doesn't have that I'm looking for. Bigger cities just don't appeal to me at all.

Ottawa doesn't have tons of jobs but IT is quite strong (probably not as strong as Toronto overall but it's a much smaller job market so per capita, I wouldn't be surprised if there are more IT jobs in Ottawa). If you are going to work for a private IT company, I think anyone with any sort of usable IT skills can get a job in Ottawa and you don't need to speak french (it's not even a consideration for private employers). If you want to work for the Federal Government, you don't need french but it certainly helps (I'm with the federal government and I'd probably guess that about 1/3 of my workers can speak french). Having said that, speaking or not speaking French is certainly not the biggest roadblock to getting work with the Fed. Gov. There's a lot of competition and the system moves very slow. If that's your intention, stay where you are until you get a job as it can easily take years to get hired with the Fed. Gov.

In the end, it really just depends on what you are looking for.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
4956 posts
2316 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
MP3_SKY wrote:
May 30th, 2018 3:48 pm
Do you speak French?

Neither I nor my husband speak French, and we both got way better jobs here than where we came from (BC). I have never had an issue with the bilingual thing. My job doesn't require it.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
8610 posts
1368 upvotes
Markham
Chickinvic wrote:
May 31st, 2018 10:34 am
Neither I nor my husband speak French, and we both got way better jobs here than where we came from (BC). I have never had an issue with the bilingual thing. My job doesn't require it.
Of course, I don't believe 100% of workforce in Ottawa are bilingual.
I just meant that the opportunity is greater if you are bilingual. It is also depending on the industry.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2003
1283 posts
39 upvotes
GTA (West)
harith86 wrote:
May 28th, 2018 11:26 pm
Hello,

Not sure if this is the right section to post such a thread.

I am 32 years old, having a job in Toronto. I am looking to move to Ottawa, I would like to know if Ottawa is really boring as I hear. I know that Ottawa has a great night life as well, but generally speaking, is it worth moving to Ottawa? I am not a night life person, not a clubbing guy.

Also, the jobs, how do I secure a job before moving there? I applied through different job boards, but I got nothing yet.

Any advice or tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Unless you want to really move there.. dont! I lived there for a year and half and hated it. I'm a Toronto native. I returned to TO the first opportunity I could.

You dont have to share your reasons with us but just saying unless you have a really good reason to go.......... first of all, its damn cold up there compared to TO. Second, I found the people .. felt a strange vibe from people .. They're a bit more close minded than Toronto folks.

The roads are shitty. There are druggies here and there. Except for some parts of the city .. the rest of the city is really crap. Almost feels you're not in a 1st world developed country. The only good parts are where the politicians live. You might go there and see the various world flags and their heavily guarded residences. Things are more expensive than TO but oddly enough gas is a bit cheaper. Also you'll hear more Francofones heheh ;)

Overall, my opinion - its a crap shoot!
Please thank me if you find this helpful
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
4956 posts
2316 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
doomhammer wrote:
Jun 1st, 2018 12:52 am
Unless you want to really move there.. dont! I lived there for a year and half and hated it. I'm a Toronto native. I returned to TO the first opportunity I could.

You dont have to share your reasons with us but just saying unless you have a really good reason to go.......... first of all, its damn cold up there compared to TO. Second, I found the people .. felt a strange vibe from people .. They're a bit more close minded than Toronto folks.

The roads are shitty. There are druggies here and there. Except for some parts of the city .. the rest of the city is really crap. Almost feels you're not in a 1st world developed country. The only good parts are where the politicians live. You might go there and see the various world flags and their heavily guarded residences. Things are more expensive than TO but oddly enough gas is a bit cheaper. Also you'll hear more Francofones heheh ;)

Overall, my opinion - its a crap shoot!
Maybe you had a shitty attitude? I don't know anyone who moved here that "hated" it. None of what you have said sounds even remotely similar to our experiences here. Your description of Ottawa sounds like someone who has never even been here. What did you do? Hang out in Vanier the entire time?

OP - Ottawa is a beautiful city.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2003
1283 posts
39 upvotes
GTA (West)
Chickinvic wrote:
Jun 1st, 2018 9:34 am
Maybe you had a shitty attitude? I don't know anyone who moved here that "hated" it. None of what you have said sounds even remotely similar to our experiences here. Your description of Ottawa sounds like someone who has never even been here. What did you do? Hang out in Vanier the entire time?

OP - Ottawa is a beautiful city.
Nah. I certainly did. Bayshore area. Yeah I did mention parts of the city are OK. Bridlewood is fine.

Oh did I mention Canadian Tire took 3 weeks to my order where normally it takes 1 week.

What did I do? oh .. working! There was an open position and I transferred. But I didnt like Ottawa. When a new opportunity opened up in Toronto, I moved back. Never going to NCR again! Visits Ok. Relo - NOPE!
Please thank me if you find this helpful
Jan 11, 2017
119 posts
37 upvotes
doomhammer wrote:
Jun 1st, 2018 11:19 am
Nah. I certainly did. Bayshore area. Yeah I did mention parts of the city are OK. Bridlewood is fine.
Well that explains alot of the negativity..

OP: Ottawa is a beautiful city (and I've lived in many cities across this country). Is it TO... nope.. it doesn't want to be :-)