• Jun 28th, 2018 9:30 am
[OP]
Feb 23, 2017
78 posts
15 upvotes
Oakville
vkizzle wrote:
Jun 18th, 2018 10:08 am
Which part of the city will you be working at?
In the Carlington area, west downtown
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2004
4025 posts
431 upvotes
Ottawa
harith86 wrote:
Jun 18th, 2018 1:02 pm
In the Carlington area, west downtown
Others probably know the area better than me but Caldwell Avenue definitely doesn't have a great reputation. I've heard Shillington (nearby) is not very good either.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
20895 posts
7735 upvotes
Ottawa
michelb wrote:
Jun 18th, 2018 1:52 pm
Others probably know the area better than me but Caldwell Avenue definitely doesn't have a great reputation. I've heard Shillington (nearby) is not very good either.
He's far enough from that area (subsidized housing etc...), but most of the crime is targeted and not randoms.
[OP]
Feb 23, 2017
78 posts
15 upvotes
Oakville
I am going to live Downtown, near Bank Street, so everything is a walking distance from where I will be living in. Work will be about 8Km away.

I want to live Downtown so I can be close to many services, amenities, and of course the city attractions and entertainment. My goal is to meet people easily in order to make friends.
Oct 5, 2016
37 posts
12 upvotes
vkizzle wrote:
Jun 18th, 2018 10:06 am
Any source for this?
There are pockets in Kanata and Stittsville where Radon levels were tested higher than Health Canada guidelines but it can happen anywhere.
When I bought my current Minto house in Orleans, a radon stack was on the plan.

Here are a couple articles about Kanata:

Radon Gas in Kanata
High Levels of Radon found in Kanata School
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
20895 posts
7735 upvotes
Ottawa
flavious99 wrote:
Jun 19th, 2018 2:26 am
There are pockets in Kanata and Stittsville where Radon levels were tested higher than Health Canada guidelines but it can happen anywhere.
When I bought my current Minto house in Orleans, a radon stack was on the plan.

Here are a couple articles about Kanata:

Radon Gas in Kanata
High Levels of Radon found in Kanata School
What kind of nonsense is that?
Your links doesn't prove anything!
Oct 5, 2016
37 posts
12 upvotes
vkizzle wrote:
Jun 19th, 2018 5:50 am
What kind of nonsense is that?
Your links doesn't prove anything!
As a courtesy I googled what you could have done yourself and provided some actual examples
including the CBC report which references a Health Canada study as it pertains to Kanata.
If that is fake news to you then do your own study.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
20895 posts
7735 upvotes
Ottawa
flavious99 wrote:
Jun 19th, 2018 3:28 pm
As a courtesy I googled what you could have done yourself and provided some actual examples
including the CBC report which references a Health Canada study as it pertains to Kanata.
If that is fake news to you then do your own study.
Yeah and as someone who doesn't simply believe shit people post on the internet, I also googled and didn't see anywhere on Health Canada's "Cross-Canada Survey of Radon Concentrations in Homes - Final Report", specifically mentioning Kanata!
Care to share your findings?
Oct 5, 2016
37 posts
12 upvotes
vkizzle wrote:
Jun 19th, 2018 3:32 pm
Yeah and as someone who doesn't simply believe shit people post on the internet, I also googled and didn't see anywhere on Health Canada's "Cross-Canada Survey of Radon Concentrations in Homes - Final Report", specifically mentioning Kanata!
Care to share your findings?
Sure.

The CBC obtained and plotted the Health Canada survey results against a geographic map using partially redacted postal codes and made those results available online in an interactive tool.
The online map was removed in 2014 ( CBC Interactive Radon Map ).

So, again, if you don't believe what was reported in the media then either conduct your own Radon study or contact the data providers with your questions
(CBC for their analysis, and/or submit an access to information request to Health Canada for the survey data with collection locations).
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
20895 posts
7735 upvotes
Ottawa
flavious99 wrote:
Jun 20th, 2018 2:44 am
Sure.

The CBC obtained and plotted the Health Canada survey results against a geographic map using partially redacted postal codes and made those results available online in an interactive tool.
The online map was removed in 2014 ( CBC Interactive Radon Map ).

So, again, if you don't believe what was reported in the media then either conduct your own Radon study or contact the data providers with your questions
(CBC for their analysis, and/or submit an access to information request to Health Canada for the survey data with collection locations).
Still doesn't specifically mention anything about Kanata.
Keep digging your hole.
Jan 27, 2018
31 posts
2 upvotes
Ottawa is great for people in their 30's or ones with family and kids, as someone here pointed out. I was in Ottawa for 2-3 years, and I think it is quite slow as compared to big cities. And if you are moving in from Toronto I think you would feel the same.
Jun 23, 2017
391 posts
136 upvotes
Toronto, ON
for someone studying @ Carleton, where would be a good place to live off-campus assuming public transportation and walking and bicycling are used to get around .. ie. no car. Would north on the train line that leads right into Carleton be a good place to start looking?
[OP]
Feb 23, 2017
78 posts
15 upvotes
Oakville
905P4N6 wrote:
Jun 20th, 2018 9:07 am
for someone studying @ Carleton, where would be a good place to live off-campus assuming public transportation and walking and bicycling are used to get around .. ie. no car. Would north on the train line that leads right into Carleton be a good place to start looking?
I am going to stay Downtown at first and see how I like it, in the Centertown area.
Also, what's best other than Kijiji to look for rentals? I hardly found the place in downtown on Kijiji.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
20895 posts
7735 upvotes
Ottawa
905P4N6 wrote:
Jun 20th, 2018 9:07 am
Anywhere on Prince of Whales Dr and surrounding area.
Oct 5, 2016
37 posts
12 upvotes
vkizzle wrote:
Jun 20th, 2018 5:38 am
Still doesn't specifically mention anything about Kanata.
Keep digging your hole.
Quit trying to infer that what YOU found is my source. My source are the two articles I listed, the very first one linked is a CBC news
report that includes the text, "Radon levels are higher than the national average in Kanata homes near Canadian Tire Centre." and talks
specifically about Kanata. That report directly answers your original question, "Any source for this? " when I posted
"..Kanata has levels higher than the national average..".

What you appear to want to do is talk about specific test RESULTS in Kanata and how what YOU found does not specifically mention Kanata.
Well, that's all dandy but is neither the question you originally asked nor the source I listed as a response.

Now, as for the test RESULTS you found on the Health Canada website for the "Cross-Canada Survey of Radon Concentrations in Homes - Final Report" not mentioning
Kanata, you are corrrect. The published report contains only aggregated data for Canada, including results for Ottawa, and does not contain individual respondent data.

If you want to make the argument that this aggregated data is exactly and only the data used by the CBC report then there is no evidence for that. As I tried to explain
and linked earlier, there is evidence that the CBC had at some point obtained the results for 14,000 samples collected across Canada from a Health Canada survey and plotted those on a geographic
map by postal code which would have included Kanata.