• Last Updated:
  • Dec 6th, 2017 7:05 am
[OP]
Apr 22, 2014
810 posts
181 upvotes
, ON

moving outside Toronto and school questions

My 1st grader is attending a Catholic school in Toronto, and also attending subsidized daycare. We are looking to move to Durham area possibly. My work in in Markham area.

I am thinking if I drive to work from Whitby, it will be easier to leave my son's school where it is in Toronto so we don't have to go through applications to get him set up (both school and day care) in Durham. I can drop him in the morning before work and pick him up after work.

My question is do they allow small kids living outside Toronto to attend school in Toronto? We will update our address with the new address of course.
4 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2008
3648 posts
1095 upvotes
Toronto
Presumably you're going to eventually want to put him into school in Whitby and personally I would not want to be driving my kid every day to and from daycare between Whitby and Markham. I'd move him now if I could. Don't know about the Catholic system but in the public system you would need to apply under optional attendance to attend the school. Your subsidy should also disappear though since you'd no longer be a resident of Toronto. Having had my kids in daycare near work before, I moved them once they hit JK - so much better for all of us. I'd rather my kid have fun with their new friends than sit in traffic on the 401.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25871 posts
2877 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
anotherbargainhunter wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 2:30 pm
My question is do they allow small kids living outside Toronto to attend school in Toronto? We will update our address with the new address of course.
I believe they do. Toronto schools are mostly empty. They'll take anyone.
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2008
3648 posts
1095 upvotes
Toronto
Gee wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 4:42 am
I believe they do. Toronto schools are mostly empty. They'll take anyone.
Not at all true in a lot of neighbourhoods where local kids can’t even get into local schools because they are so full.
[OP]
Apr 22, 2014
810 posts
181 upvotes
, ON
Do you guys know if Toronto services will transfer our daycare subsidy to Durham, or do we have to close the file and apply with Durham subsidy office ourselves?
If anyone had gone through this process before, please let me know. Thanks.