• Last Updated:
  • Jan 2nd, 2018 8:16 pm
[OP]
Apr 22, 2014
994 posts
304 upvotes
, ON

moving outside Toronto and school questions

My 1st grader is attending a Catholic school in Toronto, and also attending subsidized daycare. We are looking to move to Durham area possibly. My work in in Markham area.

I am thinking if I drive to work from Whitby, it will be easier to leave my son's school where it is in Toronto so we don't have to go through applications to get him set up (both school and day care) in Durham. I can drop him in the morning before work and pick him up after work.

My question is do they allow small kids living outside Toronto to attend school in Toronto? We will update our address with the new address of course.
10 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2008
3780 posts
1229 upvotes
Toronto
Presumably you're going to eventually want to put him into school in Whitby and personally I would not want to be driving my kid every day to and from daycare between Whitby and Markham. I'd move him now if I could. Don't know about the Catholic system but in the public system you would need to apply under optional attendance to attend the school. Your subsidy should also disappear though since you'd no longer be a resident of Toronto. Having had my kids in daycare near work before, I moved them once they hit JK - so much better for all of us. I'd rather my kid have fun with their new friends than sit in traffic on the 401.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
26970 posts
3286 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
anotherbargainhunter wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 2:30 pm
My question is do they allow small kids living outside Toronto to attend school in Toronto? We will update our address with the new address of course.
I believe they do. Toronto schools are mostly empty. They'll take anyone.
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2008
3780 posts
1229 upvotes
Toronto
Gee wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 4:42 am
Not at all true in a lot of neighbourhoods where local kids can’t even get into local schools because they are so full.
[OP]
Apr 22, 2014
994 posts
304 upvotes
, ON
Do you guys know if Toronto services will transfer our daycare subsidy to Durham, or do we have to close the file and apply with Durham subsidy office ourselves?
If anyone had gone through this process before, please let me know. Thanks.
Dec 16, 2017
10 posts
2 upvotes
Just to share, I moved when my son was little and kept him in the same school for a while, it was a mistake you only learn if you do it- it may sound nice to drive your child every day to school now, but one day you’ll be sick, or there’s a snowstorm, or can’t get there in time to pick them up - I was caught in a flood once on keele Street - so it’s great when they go to a school on your new neighbourhood. They meet friends. Have play dates. You meet the parents and can rely on each other. If you are commuting your child they won’t socialize with the other kids- just
something to think about. Hope this helps.
[OP]
Apr 22, 2014
994 posts
304 upvotes
, ON
Bargainannie wrote:
Dec 17th, 2017 9:41 pm
Just to share, I moved when my son was little and kept him in the same school for a while, it was a mistake you only learn if you do it- it may sound nice to drive your child every day to school now, but one day you’ll be sick, or there’s a snowstorm, or can’t get there in time to pick them up - I was caught in a flood once on keele Street - so it’s great when they go to a school on your new neighbourhood. They meet friends. Have play dates. You meet the parents and can rely on each other. If you are commuting your child they won’t socialize with the other kids- just
something to think about. Hope this helps.
Hey that's very good point! Didn't think about that. Thanks
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2005
5141 posts
783 upvotes
Gee wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 4:42 am
this is totally wrong.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
26970 posts
3286 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
milolai wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2018 2:36 pm
this is totally wrong.
I have a nephew, he lives in Markham but attends Monarch Park for the International Baccalaureate program.

No Toronto address
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2005
5141 posts
783 upvotes
Gee wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2018 5:55 pm
I have a nephew, he lives in Markham but attends Monarch Park for the International Baccalaureate program.

No Toronto address
ok. i stand corrected.
i am certain your sample size is evidence enough to confirm Toronto schools are empty.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2004
2017 posts
357 upvotes
Gee wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2018 5:55 pm

No Toronto address
IB programs are very different, especially elementary school.

No, your child cannot go to a TDSB school without living in Toronto. Now, should you choose to use somebody else’s Toronto address, that is your choice...