Off Topic Archive

Locked: Moving a thermostat to a different room?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 10th, 2005 9:51 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2003
3199 posts
61 upvotes
Kitchener - Waterloo

Moving a thermostat to a different room?

Ok, I am curious if this is possible.

I would like to move the electronic thermostat from the living room to the basement.

The reason why this is so is because the living room is always warm and I need to continuously go upstairs from the basement and set the thermostat so that the basement is always kept warm. The vents in the living room are always closed and the heat that goes on is distributed to the rooms and the basement.

By moving the thermostat in the basement the thermostat will be measuring and working with the basement temperature instead of the living room temperature. I live in the basement most of the time and want the heating system to go on and off only when the temperature in the basement is right for me. The living room is always warm and having it there is unpractical.

I would like to know if anyone has done this before, and what kind of costs are there involved when moving one in a house one level lower (to the basement).

Thanks!
Share:
11 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1157 upvotes
Let me guess... the registers in your basement are on the ceiling? ;)
These folks have taken over RFD, so I'm done here.

Mutu qabla an tamutu
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2003
3199 posts
61 upvotes
Kitchener - Waterloo
Rehan, what registers? I want to put the thermostat from the living room in the basement. This is a 4 level house. The thermostat is on the main level. The next level below it is where I would want to move the thermostat on the wall, and then there is the basement where we watch TV only from time to time. The bedrooms are above the main level (where the thermostat is currently present).

By moving the thermostat, I want to regulate the temperature based on that of the level below the main level (where the thermostat is). I cannot work with electric things, and want someone who specializes with that to have it moved to a practical location (and not the living room where is it always warm).
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1157 upvotes
George W. Bush wrote:Rehan, what registers? I want to put the thermostat from the living room in the basement. This is a 4 level house. The thermostat is on the main level. The next level below it is where I would want to move the thermostat on the wall, and then there is the basement where we watch TV only from time to time. The bedrooms are above the main level (where the thermostat is currently present).
Heat registers...where the heat (or air conditioning, in summer) comes from, like in this pictures:

If they're on the ceiling, then the hot air will not flow to people at normal sitting level in the basement. That explains the cause of the problem (if the registers are in fact on your basement ceiling), but doesn't give you a solution.
These folks have taken over RFD, so I'm done here.

Mutu qabla an tamutu
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2003
2941 posts
GVRD
why not just get a small heater for you in the basement?
the man who trades freedom for security does not deserve
nor will receive either - benjamin franklin
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2003
3775 posts
62 upvotes
please consult with a professional, but i'm pretty sure this is correct:

the wires that run into your thermostat, as it currently is placed, are connected on the other end to a control unit at the actual furnace.

detach the wires from your thermostat and find a good mounting spot in your basement. if you have a finished basement, this job will be harder. if not, just find the control unit for your furnace and match the same wires that were formerly connected to your thermostat upstairs. the mounting plate that was upstairs can be reused.

this should solve your problem.

of course, you could avoid all of this by buying a thermostat with a remote unit, i believe carrier makes one. mount the second transmitter in the basement and this should solve your problem. however, my guess is that the basement will normally have a lower temp than your upstairs, and this would cause you to be warm in the basement but sweltering in your bedrooms.

again, i think this is correct, but perhaps one of the hvac pros on this forum can help out?
Deal Guru
Mar 17, 2004
11327 posts
4 upvotes
Mountain View, CA
Moving the thermostat to the basement basically means the heat will be on for longer (based on the lower temperature at the basement) and making upstairs warmer. What difference does it make if you just crank it up right now while the theromstat is still upstairs? It's the same thing to me.

That, or like Ron said, get a small electric heater
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2003
3199 posts
61 upvotes
Kitchener - Waterloo
Yes, the registers are on the ceiling. I will then need to move these somehow so that air flows from the floor upwards. The thermostat would also help, and make it more comfortable because that is where we spend most of the time - no the living room. We hate going upstairs all the time or in the middle of the night.

The hear registers need to be put in the floor somehow, and the thermostat moved at a lower level in the house. Moving the thermostat will also help from having us go upstairs all the time.

Getting an electric heater is not an option. I do not intend to use an electric heater.

I want to optimize the heat that I use and not pay extra $$$ for electricity.

I need to move the registers on the floor somehow or at least, have them at the side of the wall to push air on the floor level. Moving the thermostat will also cut down on the number of trips we make upstairs everytime we need to adjust temperature.

What is the cost involved in moving the registers (have 2) so that they are located in the floor or something?
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2002
4014 posts
31 upvotes
or you could try an X-10 control and set the heat from your PC in the basement.

It would likely be cheaper to get a small sealed oil heater. This will also localize the heat so you're not over heating the entire house to keep the basement warm.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2003
2941 posts
GVRD
synaptech wrote:or you could try an X-10 control and set the heat from your PC in the basement.

It would likely be cheaper to get a small sealed oil heater. This will also localize the heat so you're not over heating the entire house to keep the basement warm.
synaptech - do you work for Synaptics? what the hell is going on with your stock SYNA???
the man who trades freedom for security does not deserve
nor will receive either - benjamin franklin
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2002
4014 posts
31 upvotes
Roninvancouver wrote:synaptech - do you work for Synaptics?
nope. just a name I threw together regarding my work and play.
Dec 2, 2004
927 posts
George W. Bush wrote: Getting an electric heater is not an option. I do not intend to use an electric heater.

I want to optimize the heat that I use and not pay extra $$$ for electricity.
I'm not sure if moving your thermostat to a colder floor of your house 'optimizes' your heating. In fact, your gas bill will probably go up as you're now trying to bring the colder floor to a comfortable temp, and even if registers/vents are closed on upper floors, heat still goes up and getting wasted in your duct work.

I'd highly suggest you get in a heating guy to give you suggestions & quote. He may either suggest auxiliary heating like electric baseboard heaters, or replacing your existing furnace fan with a dual-stage where motor runs at low speed to keep air circulating.

How about a ceiling fan on the cold floor to circulate the hot air that's sitting near your ceiling? A lot easier than moving registers to floor. If ceiling is too low for ceiling fan, try a floor fan to see if it makes it any better. Just don't point it where you're sitting! ;)

There's a posting in HotDeals about great sale at Cdn Tire for lamps & fans.
× < >