[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
1992 posts
294 upvotes

moving from Toronto to Winnipeg what to do with phone

We are on public mobile
Numbers are 647
How does it work if we move to Winnipeg. Our plan is 3 months 12 GB LTE @$38 per month province wide calling
Can we change number on the same plan when we move to Winnipeg?
Because getting job calls on the local numbers is more easy I guess...
18 replies
May 8, 2009
2227 posts
709 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
  1. Port 647 #'s to Fongo, $25 one-time fee per number
  2. Once you get your MB driver's license, activate 204 numbers (make sure they're Winnipeg numbers)
  3. Have Fongo 647 #'s forward to Winnipeg 204 #'s (free call forwarding for life)
  4. Receive sms at 647 #'s free in app
Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
Home service reseller internet + FPL + antenna with streaming on smart TV
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
1992 posts
294 upvotes
titaniumtux wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 9:15 pm
  1. Port 647 #'s to Fongo, $25 one-time fee per number
  2. Once you get your MB driver's license, activate 204 numbers (make sure they're Winnipeg numbers)
  3. Have Fongo 647 #'s forward to Winnipeg 204 #'s (free call forwarding for life)
  4. Receive sms at 647 #'s free in app
Thank you .. Never used Fongo so I need to research
But I am not clear about your point no 2. How would I get 204 number at first place?
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
3119 posts
532 upvotes
GTA
Go to publicmobile.ca and login to your account. Under "Plan and Add-ons", there is a Change Phone Number option. You just go in there and change it to a local Winnipeg number when you move there.

Maybe titaniumtux mis-read your post or maybe even I'm mistaking it. But I don't think you should do what he advised. By porting out your 647 number, you'll lose your plan. Obviously, you don't want to do that since you have that old special promo plan.

Of course, this is all assuming you have no problem with a new Winnipeg number and have no problem losing your old 647 number
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
1992 posts
294 upvotes
Dave98 wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 10:06 pm
Go to publicmobile.ca and login to your account. Under "Plan and Add-ons", there is a Change Phone Number option. You just go in there and change it to a local Winnipeg number when you move there.

Maybe titaniumtux mis-read your post or maybe even I'm mistaking it. But I don't think you should do what he advised. By porting out your 647 number, you'll lose your plan. Obviously, you don't want to do that since you have that old special promo plan.

Of course, this is all assuming you have no problem with a new Winnipeg number and have no problem losing your old 647 number
OK that makes much better sense. Yes we are moving so no love for 647
May 8, 2009
2227 posts
709 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
Asker123 wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 9:55 pm
Thank you .. Never used Fongo so I need to research
But I am not clear about your point no 2. How would I get 204 number at first place?
Go to any of the big three or their subs with MB ID and activate post-paid with local, Winnipeg numbers.
Dave98 wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 10:06 pm

No point keeping Public When you can jump on MB plans with the big three.
Asker123 wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 10:22 pm
OK that makes much better sense. Yes we are moving so no love for 647
Up to you. If you want to keep your 647 #'s so that folks in GTA can call you locally, and it'll ring on your cells with 204 #'s, then $25 porting fee to Fongo is an inexpensive way to keep your To #'s for life (free call forwarding for life).

Or with Public Mobile you can do a number change. Leave To like it never was, switch to 204 #'s and folks in GTA will have to call you long distance.

I wouldn't bother with Public if I can get an MB plan with any of the big three, especially given that Public plans cost extra for nation-wide calling.
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
1992 posts
294 upvotes
^Oh so port the 647 # to Fongo and then disconnect the services from Public mobile... Is that what are saying?
But will the big 3 be able to give me a plan with as much as 4 GB per month for $38 over there?
We have 2 phones
Deal Guru
Dec 12, 2009
13232 posts
3018 upvotes
Toronto
Why not just go with a number change first, run this service for the remainder of your 90 day period. In the mean time search for cheaper service and if you find it, then switch providers. Otherwise, continue to use the Public Mobile service. Now that MTS is gone, does Manitoba still have those plans that GTAers envy?
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2008
2019 posts
887 upvotes
Asker123 wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 8:52 pm
We are on public mobile
Numbers are 647
How does it work if we move to Winnipeg. Our plan is 3 months 12 GB LTE @$38 per month province wide calling
Can we change number on the same plan when we move to Winnipeg?
Because getting job calls on the local numbers is more easy I guess...
I would say the phone will be the least of your problems.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25869 posts
2877 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Asker123 wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 10:55 pm
^Oh so port the 647 # to Fongo and then disconnect the services from Public mobile... Is that what are saying?
But will the big 3 be able to give me a plan with as much as 4 GB per month for $38 over there?
We have 2 phones
Don't bother with Fongo. Just log into your Public Mobile account and change your number to a Winnipeg area code. Keep using Public Mobile. You will not find a similar plan for $38. The cheapest will be ~$50, it will include a little more data and Canada Wide calling.
Banned
Aug 22, 2017
367 posts
154 upvotes
But how good is there reception there for PM? Just a heads up for OP, in Winnipeg MB Koodo has the $48 5 GB unlimited Canada wide plan, so I'd suggest wait till boxing day and you'll probably get more data added on top of the plan for the same price. Then just port your PM number to the new Koodo plan? I mean most of us are using the loophole for Koodo from QC and porting our numbers to the plan, so it should be possible for you as well.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
1992 posts
294 upvotes
kabyLake wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 6:38 am
But how good is there reception there for PM? Just a heads up for OP, in Winnipeg MB Koodo has the $48 5 GB unlimited Canada wide plan, so I'd suggest wait till boxing day and you'll probably get more data added on top of the plan for the same price. Then just port your PM number to the new Koodo plan? I mean most of us are using the loophole for Koodo from QC and porting our numbers to the plan, so it should be possible for you as well.
But till boxing day I will be in Toronto. Does it need MB id to buy this kodoo plan? Like driver license etc
Banned
Aug 22, 2017
367 posts
154 upvotes
Asker123 wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 7:52 am
But till boxing day I will be in Toronto. Does it need MB id to buy this kodoo plan? Like driver license etc
If you don't have an ID as of yet, then you can follow the threads in Cell Phone Forum and do the procedure for the Koodo loophole. Then port your number to the Koodo plan, and use the Koodo plan anywhere across Canada where you have Koodo's coverage. My wife got the QC plan in Montreal, and she uses the phone in Toronto.
May 8, 2009
2227 posts
709 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
Asker123 wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 10:55 pm
We have 2 phones
If you only need province-wide calling, then you are better off staying with Public, and losing your 647 #'s. IMHO, you're moving to another province, my guess is that you'll still call GTA numbers even after moving to the Peg, so nation-wide calling will likely be more important, making Public deal a little less competitive. Staying with Public and doing a number change will result in losing the 647 #'s, and never getting them back. If you're ok with that, then stay with Public. Public's a Telus sub, who has a tower sharing agreement with Bell, who is now the incubent in MB (and owns most of the old MTS towers), so your reception will be as good as it gets on Public, as well as anything else on Bell/Telus. Rogers also gets a home roaming deal on the towers that were previously MTS, but that doesn't really matter.
will888 wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 11:35 pm
Why not just go with a number change first, run this service for the remainder of your 90 day period. In the mean time search for cheaper service and if you find it, then switch providers. Otherwise, continue to use the Public Mobile service. Now that MTS is gone, does Manitoba still have those plans that GTAers envy?
MB plans are still a thing. I think only Robbers did a +$5 price increase since the merge.
Gee wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 4:31 am
Don't bother with Fongo. Just log into your Public Mobile account and change your number to a Winnipeg area code. Keep using Public Mobile. You will not find a similar plan for $38. The cheapest will be ~$50, it will include a little more data and Canada Wide calling.
Up to OP. Depends on whether keeping their 647 #'s is worth more than $25 per number to them. Rate plan like @Gee said is a little more than Public, but includes more as well. OP will probably need more than province-wide calling after the move anyway.
kabyLake wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 6:38 am
No point. Koodo would make OP go through unnecessary steps in order to achieve this prior to the move.

Easy solution...buy sim cards at Virgin Mobile store. Call Virgin Mobile sales over the phone, and give them your MB billing address (since you'll be moving there). No proof of address done over the phone (you can even do credit check with Ontario DL over the phone). Since OP is going to use 204 numbers and not GTA numbers, Virgin or Fido would be much easier to activate. Agreed that Boxing Day might give bonus data, a short term discount (especially on BYOD), etc.

I'd go with Virgin over Fido in this case since Virgin's a Bell sub, and Bell owns MTS towers, but it could work just as easily on Fido to activate the 204 #'s on MB plan.
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
12533 posts
4053 upvotes
Oakville
will888 wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 11:35 pm
Why not just go with a number change first, run this service for the remainder of your 90 day period. In the mean time search for cheaper service and if you find it, then switch providers. Otherwise, continue to use the Public Mobile service.
This. No point jumping through all the crazy hoops mentioned in the thread. Just switch your PM plan to a Manitoba number, and keep an eye out for deals. But realistically, if you're happy with province-wide calling and 4GB of data, you're not going to find cheaper. Your only "better" plan that you'll find will be more data and nationwide calling for a bit more money (ie if Koodo does a promo and offers bonus data on their $48/5GB plan)
Public Mobile

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)