• Mar 26th, 2012 4:18 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2004
2807 posts
21 upvotes

Mr. Goudas products bug infestations

In August I sent an e-mail to Mr. Goudas after buying a bag of their dried chick peas that was infested with bugs. After 2 months I got this reply ...
Thank you for your letter.

Chick peas is subject to infestation within the product itself.

Maybe it was at the store level for some time and upon purchasing you kept it
for more than 2 months.

We rotate our inventory frequently to avoid such a problem. However, it is good that
you threw it out.

It is advisable that you purchase this item in small quantities if you do not use it often.

Regards,

Bernadette
I question whether a company that takes over 2 months to respond to a customer concern is any more responsive at the warehouse level. How can warehouse employees in charge of rotating stock be concerned with quality control when management sets this type of example? Not only did they all but deny the possiblity that this may have happened at their premises but they implied that it was the fault of the retailer or even myself for buying too much of their product!

I believe that Mr. Goudas has no concern for their customers as evidenced by their reply. It's also hard believe that they have an adequate quality control system in place to protect consumers.
Needless to say I won't be buying any Goudas brand products in the future and would encourage others not to buy Goudas products and to consider alternate brands.
32 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2005
1928 posts
15 upvotes
Scarborough
I bought the Thai jasmine rice with the chicken on it, and it had bugs which infested the rice I bought (No Frills yellow brand) - both from NoFrills. Both were in unopened bags.

The barley from Mr Goudas got bugs after I had it for 2 months and so did the soup mix - both from Food Basics. The barley and soup mix I put into sealed containers as soon as I got home, so the eggs are already in the product.

I tried microwaving these products, but because they retained some residue moisture (which means they could have gotten mouldy and the bugs like the moisture so they can eat easier), it half-cooked the grains so it tastes different.

I now put the grains into the oven at 150 degrees for 20 minutes before I pack it away to kill the eggs/larvae/whatever pest lifecycle exists. It's disgusting what we pay for these days!
Mar 5, 2007
276 posts
In either case here, if/when the subject was brought to the attention of Mr. Goudas, did they offer any form of compensation such as an exchange / refund? Would a consumer be entitled to ask for such?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2004
2807 posts
21 upvotes
thegazelle wrote:
Oct 26th, 2007 10:30 am
In either case here, if/when the subject was brought to the attention of Mr. Goudas, did they offer any form of compensation such as an exchange / refund? Would a consumer be entitled to ask for such?
Not even an offer to replace the bag full of bugs.
Mar 5, 2007
276 posts
That's pretty bad. Our family buys Mr. Goudas stuff once in a while. If that's the type of customer service they provide, I think I'll pick a different brand. Thanks for the heads-up.

I wonder, though, even if the parent company may not offer you a refund/replacement and/or compensation, if you return it back to the store whether the store will give you a refund/exchange.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2004
2807 posts
21 upvotes
thegazelle wrote:
Oct 26th, 2007 11:01 am
That's pretty bad. Our family buys Mr. Goudas stuff once in a while. If that's the type of customer service they provide, I think I'll pick a different brand. Thanks for the heads-up.

I wonder, though, even if the parent company may not offer you a refund/replacement and/or compensation, if you return it back to the store whether the store will give you a refund/exchange.
The store probably would give me a refund but not worth the time or gas expense to make a special trip to do so. (Edit; At the time I didn't want to keep a bag of bugs in my house or transport them back to the store.) I was somewhat annoyed by the response I got after taking the time to alert the company of a potential problem.
Not only did it take more than 2 months to respond but they offered "it's beyond our control"(sic) as an explanation.
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2001
1305 posts
42 upvotes
I bought Mr. Gouda crapo rice too from Highland farms...had a tonne of tiny black bugs...thought they were black pepper at first....as they say more protein...

I try to not buy Mr. Gouda if given the chance...their products are the worst in quality generally...
All is not golde that outward shewith bright...lydgate
Nov 29, 2006
222 posts
1 upvote
I occasionally buy Mr. Goudas products as they are normally much cheaper than comparable products. I guess the old adage that you only get what you pay for applies here. I haven't had an issue so far but will proably avoid them in future purchases. Thanks for the warning.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 13, 2005
7740 posts
147 upvotes
contact the health department in concord.

Goudas Food Products & Investments Ltd
(905) 660-3232
(905) 660-2728 Fax
Address :
241 Snidercroft Rd
Concord, ON , L4K2J8
Nov 20, 2004
876 posts
26 upvotes
Richmond Hill
thanks for the heads up. used to buy their korean style rice
havnt in a while however, thanks though
Oct 25, 2007
24 posts
Riga
Fortunately, I have not bought anything with bugs or whatever on it. However, my friend once kept a bar of chocolate too long and had worms on it.....yuk!

Anyway, if it takes 2 months to reply to a customer then it is very suspicious.
Sep 10, 2004
517 posts
80 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I've got two bags of soup mix in the cupboard -- thanks for the warning!
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
17602 posts
732 upvotes
Brampton
Thanks for the heads up.. Will definitely be avoiding it
come troll our unofficial chatroom at #redflagdeals on EFnet
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2007
2259 posts
61 upvotes
Oh hubby is not going to be happy about this! ewe