• Apr 22nd, 2017 2:30 am
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
3447 posts
375 upvotes
Richmond Hill
RojoRojoWine wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 9:43 am
I like how every member already thinks he is guilty.

He is 22 years old, hacked into 500 million users info from yahoo, and you want to throw him in jail? (Its not like he killed anyone).

Most of that data is bunko, credit card data being stolen doesn't affect individuals, it just affects mastercard/visa/amex (they cover incidents like this).
I am just saying this, not defending his actions.

Anyways, I think he has accomplished more than anyone here.
Not saying what he did is right, but he can definitely be helped into using his talents for the better.

He is young and naive, that's all. I do not get how he is a "scum bag". I hope he gets the proper guidance, because he is obviously talented.
with great power comes great responsibilities. It only takes one wrong move to undo everything he has worked hard for. He is an adult, not a kid.
If you like me, i will like you back, on this forum
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2008
2026 posts
106 upvotes
North York
He is 22. He got suspended at 17 where when he claimed his business took off. I really doubt he is able to make THAT much money in what all of 5 years. I just spoke to a client who has an import/export business with China when the news bit came up on the TV. He said he is aware that the guy's father has an import/export business with Russia. Family has money. Kazakhstan has a reputation for corruption especially for those who can move their money outside of the country somehow. I don't know how much of that story is true but it certainly makes sense that some of his high rolling lifestyle were funded by his parents. Again, he isn't a dumb kid. He has talent for the cyber stuff. He could have been more low key if he was a true criminal mastermind but he is young. I am just more interested in seeing how this case will play out in court. Cyber hacking and cyber espionage seems to be on the news very often these days. How will the US handle this case? Yahoo? Or those affected by the hack? Will there be a class action lawsuit for those affected since we know how often Americans like to sue. Now that his lawyer comes out swinging and say Karim is a victim of political scapegoating-yikes.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2016
1082 posts
242 upvotes
just a guy trying for make benefit glorious nation of Kazakhstan
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
26465 posts
1582 upvotes
Winnipeg
flamez1000 wrote:
Mar 15th, 2017 5:19 pm
It says he only made $1000 from this. Where does he get all his money? At that age..
you taking the word from someone working for Russian intelligence at face value? you think they have bigger budget than $1000...
4930k/32gb/256gb ssd/8tb hdd/win10pro/msi 290
bst/free stuff/btc/ether
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
3809 posts
943 upvotes
Kingston, ON
RojoRojoWine wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 9:43 am
Most of that data is bunko, credit card data being stolen doesn't affect individuals, it just affects mastercard/visa/amex (they cover incidents like this).
I am just saying this, not defending his actions.
Identity theft affects people who spend years trying to get their credit straightened out. You're making this sound like a victimless crime, and I think that's far from the case.

Just one example, first up from Google,

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.2901012

Fake ID with a victim's name, address, birthdate, and enough knowledge to know which bank they banked with was enough for thieves/fraudsters to trick the bank. Sure the victim wasn't on the hook for the amounts stolen, but still had to change all of their accounts over multiple times, incurred late payment fees for bills, etc.

That's the type of stuff that someone hacking into your email can find out (think of how many retailers/restaurants/etc. send you 'happy birthday!' promotions, contain a billing address, etc.). It's easily parsed for identity theft, applying for credit in your name that you don't know about that may take a bunch of hoops to correct on your credit report, etc.

And beyond that level, guess who pays for the banks, MasterCard, Visa, and AmEx 'covering' all this? That's right, us! Their 'cost of doing business' in making victims whole gets passed on to retailers in the fees they charge, which we ultimately pay in the cost of goods we buy. This isn't someone smoking a joint from a plant they grew themselves. Theft isn't victimless.
Jul 30, 2010
673 posts
98 upvotes
Mike15 wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 4:12 pm
Identity theft affects people who spend years trying to get their credit straightened out. You're making this sound like a victimless crime, and I think that's far from the case.

Just one example, first up from Google,

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.2901012

Fake ID with a victim's name, address, birthdate, and enough knowledge to know which bank they banked with was enough for thieves/fraudsters to trick the bank. Sure the victim wasn't on the hook for the amounts stolen, but still had to change all of their accounts over multiple times, incurred late payment fees for bills, etc.

That's the type of stuff that someone hacking into your email can find out (think of how many retailers/restaurants/etc. send you 'happy birthday!' promotions, contain a billing address, etc.). It's easily parsed for identity theft, applying for credit in your name that you don't know about that may take a bunch of hoops to correct on your credit report, etc.

And beyond that level, guess who pays for the banks, MasterCard, Visa, and AmEx 'covering' all this? That's right, us! Their 'cost of doing business' in making victims whole gets passed on to retailers in the fees they charge, which we ultimately pay in the cost of goods we buy. This isn't someone smoking a joint from a plant they grew themselves. Theft isn't victimless.
I'd like to point out the parallel between this guy's criminal act (identify theft) and the Mexican woman from the US who was deported (identity theft). Any bleeding heart who defended that woman and was appalled at her deportation (RFD had some), better step up and defend this POS too.

#moralrelativism
Deal Guru
Oct 13, 2009
13685 posts
3031 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Messerschmitt wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 7:10 pm
He paid for it 600k in 2015 and now it's over 900k? The market is so ****.

Or maybe it comes with the wiretapping?
Yup I was thinking the same thing. **** ridiculous
Firebolt wrote:
Feb 12th, 2016 1:09 pm
give lots of head for sick knee fadez, give lots of lap dances for ca$h wallet fades. Always pop that leg when kissing for dope honey combs, knee lots of mans in the crotch for killer whiskers, low ride like an og for them stacks. And traintracks? Only achievable by a legend in the denim game
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
4292 posts
300 upvotes
Interesting choice of counsel for Mr. Karim.
Dec 20, 2013
422 posts
42 upvotes
Post 35:
Identity theft affects people who spend years trying to get their credit straightened out.
I hope he gets a really really harsh punishment.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2014
1414 posts
110 upvotes
Hamilton
how did this dude even manage to access one of the biggest tech companies in U.S? Did he knew people inside yahoo? What programs/tools did he use?

How do you even hack into anyone's email.account?
Deal Addict
May 2, 2006
4835 posts
957 upvotes
GTA
The guy would have never made it to Canada without support from wealthy parents, so I am quite skeptical about his (and others') claims of him accumulating wealth by being "successful" without elaborating what exactly he was successful at. Wrt to hacking, it will be interesting to see what the actual trial/investigation reveals.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
8667 posts
1448 upvotes
Somewhere
pinkcar wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 9:50 am
Hi lifestyle was financed mostly by debt according to the Toronto Star
where can i get a bank to approve me for debt to afford me that lyfestyle?

pls advice

i want join cscc
:confused:
Deal Guru
Oct 13, 2009
13685 posts
3031 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
iEyeCaptain wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2017 11:35 am
where can i get a bank to approve me for debt to afford me that lyfestyle?

pls advice

i want join cscc
U evn asian?
Firebolt wrote:
Feb 12th, 2016 1:09 pm
give lots of head for sick knee fadez, give lots of lap dances for ca$h wallet fades. Always pop that leg when kissing for dope honey combs, knee lots of mans in the crotch for killer whiskers, low ride like an og for them stacks. And traintracks? Only achievable by a legend in the denim game
Sep 21, 2011
985 posts
108 upvotes
Messerschmitt wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 7:10 pm
He paid for it 600k in 2015 and now it's over 900k? The market is so ****.

Or maybe it comes with the wiretapping?
I thought since he was charged for theft wouldnt the house be seized cause it was bought from proceeds from a crime ? I thought the government would seize his bank accounts, house, all those nice cars ? So im guess his name wasnt on the mortgage and maybe his parents are since hes allowed to sell it. Ya and it going from 600k to 900k is crazy.