[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
5524 posts
687 upvotes
Toronto (Central)

Mr. Mercedes - Stephen King thriller TV-series

Anyone catch the pilot?

Mr. Mercedes shows a lot of promise - great lead actor, seems true to the novel and for one, I'm a big fan of psychopath/serial killer stuff.
For those waiting for 'MindHunter' to come out this Fall, I think this just might hold you over until then.

9 replies
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
5524 posts
687 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
4 episodes in and it's dark, gritty and solidly crafted.
Get on this show!
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2011
3177 posts
566 upvotes
London
Newt - how are you watching this? I want to see it, love me some brendan gleeson!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
5524 posts
687 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
snow00774 wrote:
Sep 22nd, 2017 4:36 pm
Newt - how are you watching this? I want to see it, love me some brendan gleeson!
I don't think I'm allowed to post where I watch the show, but my answer should be obvious in this post.
Also, the last episode is on this Wednesday - great time to catch up on a truly solid show!
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
23339 posts
1083 upvotes
Markham, ON
newt_101 wrote:
Oct 10th, 2017 3:56 pm
Sweet! - I'm so excited for the season finale tomorrow.
This show is so messed up, intense and thrilling.

With all the chat about King's horrible received 'The Dark Tower', how are people not embracing this?!
im not complaining but its a little slow at times....perhaps it doesnt have that much material and is trying to fill up time.

At times it is great...at times...not so much.

If True Detective is the "bar", it's not there yet.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
5524 posts
687 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
thelefteyeguy wrote:
Oct 10th, 2017 4:02 pm
im not complaining but its a little slow at times....perhaps it doesnt have that much material and is trying to fill up time.

At times it is great...at times...not so much.
How so?

The leads - villain and hero - awesome and perfect balance between the two.
It's dark - too dark for mainstream TV audiences?
When you say 'slow' are you referring to a specific story arch or something else that can be omitted or reduced?

Perhaps the reason I'm asking this is that when you watch a show that is tight and solid for one season and it doesn't get as much recognition as it should, compared to shows that drag on and have a cult following (Dexter, Walking Dead) when they should have ended a couple of seasons in, that is what boggles my mind.
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
23339 posts
1083 upvotes
Markham, ON
newt_101 wrote:
Oct 10th, 2017 4:06 pm
How so?

The leads - villain and hero - awesome and perfect balance between the two.
It's dark - too dark for mainstream TV audiences?
When you say 'slow' are you referring to a specific story arch or something else that can be omitted or reduced?

Perhaps the reason I'm asking this is that when you watch a show that is tight and solid for one season and it doesn't get as much recognition as it should, compared to shows that drag on and have a cult following (Dexter, Walking Dead) when they should have ended a couple of seasons in, that is what boggles my mind.
well definitely dark for mainstream...but im not complaining (I am not a mainstream type of viewer anyways)

I had to take a break from it after episode 4...felt like it was going anywhere (i've caught up recently with all the latest episodes). Some of the scenes with the neighbor could have been cut, some of the scenes from the tirade at the police station. The lesbian character wasnt going anywhere.

Either better editing, more story depth, or better screen writing? Sometimes I feel like it drags with nothing much happening until the last 5 mins. If the conversations were better...perhaps I would be more focused.