Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

[Expired]

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 26th, 2014 6:19 pm
Dec 1, 2013
220 posts
195 upvotes
Windsor
Mine works perfectly for most things, it can handle 1080p netflix/vevo/youtube easily, for some reason youtube stutters when using it in a browser in desktop mode, but if you use an app or Internet explorer touch app it runs without a problem.

I only got this for microsoft office and video playback and it's fast enough for that, battery lasts 6 hours at 33% brightness or so.
"Nulla e reale, tutto e lecito."
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
20241 posts
8367 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
Sometimes I use an old Core 2 Duo laptop to do my job... that is, make my living... which usually requires I have 3 or 4 instances of Visual Studio 2012 open with large solutions, sometimes debugging more than one simultaneously, SQL Management Studio (and sometimes even the database engine), occasionally performance and memory profiling software, outlook, word, usually more than one flavour of browser, and some remote sessions all going at the same time. Yeah, it makes me wait a little sometimes compared to when I am working on my modern i7 desktop with four times the amount of memory and full of SSDs... but by no means is it unworkable. And I honestly would be surprised if many people complaining about CPU speeds in threads like these tax their PCs anywhere near that much.

Most of the time "My PC is too slow to use" is a software problem (and most of the time that is caused by users) not a hardware limitation.
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2012
1138 posts
775 upvotes
I tried to get that Acer V5 with 10% off and office bundle, Microsoft Metrotown store said you cannot do both, they said starting this week they cannot do it, they did for people last week, that acer V5 would have been awesome if you can both two discounts.
Financials wrote: Yeah I guess you may be right... I have been so far away from older CPU's (but have been using laptops with haswell / 5400rpm HDD drives) and have had no issues whatsoever...

As soon as I got this and ran into trouble I jumped to blame the CPU as I had no idea how powerful these were, esp with win 8 environment. Figured 5400rpm would get the job done atleast..

I guess I can give it another shot? I was going to get them the Acer V5 for 599 - $90 (-150 buy $60 office deal) and %10 student deal ... has the 4200u w/ 4gb / 1920x1080 and touch 14". but if this can get by with an SSD might aswell do that.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
FOUR. [expletive deleted]ING. HOURS.
That's how much time I've spent today fighting with this stupid notebook and Windows.
First off, let me just say that Windows is the stupidest thing I've ever dealt with. Windows 8 is even stupider.
Whoever thought that the BIOS being accessible only when booting into Windows first should be killed. Then revived. Then killed again.
Secondly, ASUS should be smacked because I don't think they tested PXE. It successfully downloads something then proceeds to discard it. This is the first time I've had to run diagnostics, tools, and install via USB for years.
In this day and age where even the BIOS can see and address a USB stick, there's no reason why Windows can't. But no.... Windows is too damn stupid to figure out how to make a partition.
I had to do a few hacks via diskpart in order to create a partition to install on.
I finally got Windows 7 installed thanks to Smart86 for telling me that Win7 drivers are finally available.
Everything works. Except USB3. The USB3 drivers that are available apparently don't work for the OS that's installed. *facepalm*
For the record, USB3 works just fine within various Linux distros out of box without issues.
I hate you Microsoft.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)