Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

[MS Store] ASUS VivoStick PC TS10 $109

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 16th, 2016 12:06 pm
Tags:
Oct 11, 2004
816 posts
200 upvotes
Montreal, Qc
davidclegg wrote: My opinion of these vs the better Android boxes is that if you're only going to use it for media playback then you're getting more bang for your buck on Android with devices that support 4K video / HDMI 2.0. If you prefer the flexibility of using a full PC and don't need 4K / 60hz video playback then go for this.
It should be noted that android boxes cannot play Netflix in HD, only in 480p. (except expensive ones like the Nvidia)
Kodi streams are also low quality more often than not.
I have a 905x android box and cannot get into using it on a regular basis.
Sep 5, 2006
656 posts
479 upvotes
Calgary
Koennin wrote: Can i upgrade this key to Win 10 Pro ?
It meets the minimum hardware requirements, but you'll probably pay more for the OS upgrade than the device itself.

What feature were needing from Pro? Are you joining this to a domain?
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2007
4206 posts
1749 upvotes
Montreal
pcloadletter wrote: You'd be better off putting your money towards a tablet, then getting an MHL/SlimPort adapter for this purpose. Also, you can use the tablet during commute ;-)
Interesting point. Here is a tablet with similar specs (CPU, memory) for $100:
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/ins ... a9238den02
It will be less portable and require an HDMI cable (although you may need to bring a keyboard along for the stick if the smartphone keyboard app isn't sufficient, so maybe not that different) , but it can also be used standalone without requiring an external monitor or keyboard.
Last edited by GT!! on Nov 29th, 2016 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sep 5, 2006
656 posts
479 upvotes
Calgary
temporary user wrote: It should be noted that android boxes cannot play Netflix in HD, only in 480p. (except expensive ones like the Nvidia)
That's what I meant by "the better Android boxes", as opposed to "the cheapest Android boxes".
Jan 18, 2007
679 posts
307 upvotes
Edmonton
Couldn't you get a USB 3.0 thumb drive or external hard drive for storage? Admittedly, would compromise the portability somewhat, but it would help if it was being used as a media centre PC. For those who prefer having this for the Windows experience, rather then an Android box, you can also get a USB remote for the USB 2.0 port, like this MyGica KR-301 at Memory Express.
Ustauk,
Edmonton, Alberta
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2009
3173 posts
2244 upvotes
Winnipeg
yodelh wrote: What is a good alternative to this product if you just want a cheap, functioning computer connected to your TV? Right now I have an old desktop hooked up to a TV I seldom use but I am thinking investing in this product will still end up saving me money via electricity bill. The specs for compute stick are better (old Pentium vs Atom. Radeon HD 5450 vs latest built in) and I'm not big on Android boxes. A lot of things check out but what do I know.
Lucky Yankees were getting Dell mini PC's with Celerons for 70 yesterday, rebate involved though.
Feb 5, 2008
790 posts
315 upvotes
CANADA
Just looking to run

1080p YouTube
Kodi
Basic web browsing, TV streaming off websites

Without lag.

Is this gonna do the trick?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6913 posts
5816 upvotes
Burlington
temporary user wrote: It should be noted that android boxes cannot play Netflix in HD, only in 480p. (except expensive ones like the Nvidia)
Kodi streams are also low quality more often than not.
I have a 905x android box and cannot get into using it on a regular basis.
Xiaomi? Nexus player? FireTV? All could probably be purchased for less than 100, if you are willing to look, or wait.
Deal Guru
Mar 28, 2006
12225 posts
2957 upvotes
Yes. This performs similar to many N3050 and N3060 based netbook.
projectrs2 wrote: Just looking to run

1080p YouTube
Kodi
Basic web browsing, TV streaming off websites

Without lag.

Is this gonna do the trick?
People around you may have weaken immune system (or live with one). Wear a mask in indoor settings if you have cold symptoms.
Banned
Mar 10, 2005
328 posts
12 upvotes
Phantom wrote: Am thinking of this as I'd like something to play Shaw Free Range on my TV without a lot of clutter.

How do you get freerange outside of your phone or tablet? Is there a Web version?
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2007
1497 posts
1037 upvotes
moncton
konsensei wrote: For pure pure pure media center, as in Kodi and such? get an android box. Best to get either a Shield or MiBox for the AndroidTV.
These sticks are convenient, but in all honesty, it's so much easier and intuitive to navigate through media center using Android with remotes (I only have Shield and old Nexus Player, they are both Android TV).
If you want HD Youtube and Netflix Windows would be the better option. I have both and definitely prefer Windows to Android for the total package.
Jun 1, 2002
580 posts
96 upvotes
You can watch on your PC or Mac desktop or laptop web browser by going to:

FreeRange.shaw.ca
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
This sure beats the shield stick in terms of raw oomph.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5909 posts
2223 upvotes
Space
Doing benchmarks, the Z8350 is 50% more powerful than both of those processors you listed. For a little over 100$ this thing is an insta buy. If you intend to use this with a larger tv, you'll have issues with the length and placement of the device ( if you want to side or top mount ). After removing everything, you'll have exactly 20 GB to work with. More then enough for me as I intend to use it for streaming and torrenting.

If anyone's interested Read/Write speeds benched at 150/80.

82 wrote: Yes. This performs similar to many N3050 and N3060 based netbook.
Deal Guru
Mar 28, 2006
12225 posts
2957 upvotes
which benchmark? I don't expect the Z8350 faster than Z8500. And these SoC throttle down a lot. The VivoStick shipped with a flexible dongle so it should works with any TV.
Solsearchin1 wrote: Doing benchmarks, the Z8350 is 50% more powerful than both of those processors you listed. For a little over 100$ this thing is an insta buy. If you intend to use this with a larger tv, you'll have issues with the length and placement of the device ( if you want to side or top mount ). After removing everything, you'll have exactly 20 GB to work with. More then enough for me as I intend to use it for streaming and torrenting.
People around you may have weaken immune system (or live with one). Wear a mask in indoor settings if you have cold symptoms.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5909 posts
2223 upvotes
Space
Passmark ( CPU Mark ). It's not faster then the z8500... the z8500 benches at 1700~. The included dongle has a male and female connector, not a female/female. It only extends the length by a few inches. The power line is a touch short as well which doesn't help with placement. I haven't experienced any throttling. The built in fan seems to keep things cool.
82 wrote: which benchmark? I don't expect the Z8350 faster than Z8500. And these SoC throttle down a lot. The VivoStick shipped with a flexible dongle so it should works with any TV.
Deal Guru
Mar 28, 2006
12225 posts
2957 upvotes
So the dongle doesn't bend for a 90 degrees mount? Luckily I still have a few dongles from other sticks.
Solsearchin1 wrote: Passmark ( CPU Mark ). It's not faster then the z8500... the z8500 benches at 1700~. The included dongle has a male and female connector, not a female/female. It only extends the length by a few inches. The power line is a touch short as well which doesn't help with placement. I haven't experienced any throttling. The built in fan seems to keep things cool.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5909 posts
2223 upvotes
Space
It will bend. Depending on your HDMI port locations this could possibly side or top mount. It comes down to HDMI placement and screen size. Mine unfortunately is just too big and the supplied extender doesn't help me enough. I hope you have better luck. Pretty impressive stick for 120$ I'd say.
82 wrote: So the dongle doesn't bend for a 90 degrees mount? Luckily I still have a few dongles from other sticks.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5909 posts
2223 upvotes
Space
Okay so with further testing... Streaming 1080P @ 60fps has very slight jitter. Playing 1080P @ 60fps on local storage ( Wired or NAS ) no issues at all. After doing ALL updates and deleting all the crap, 15 GB remains ( I have chrome, bit defender AV, VLC and Utorrent installed ). NO throttling at all in the couple of hours of usage. I'm probably going to grab a low profile USB ( Lexar S45 ) for extra storage on the cheap. I'm very pleased with this dinky PC, the small footprint and performance to dollar ratio is excellent. Hope you guys enjoy yours as much as I do.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2009
1495 posts
746 upvotes
London Area
Anyone have one they don't want anymore? I just had a use for this exact PC come up!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)