Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Microsoft Store

*NEW* Surface 3 - 10.8" - Atom x7-Z8700 - 128gb / 4gb ram - $769

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 7th, 2015 10:53 am
Deal Fanatic
Mar 30, 2011
7270 posts
719 upvotes
speculation :

PCI-E SSD, fanless for some model, longer 'standby' hours and 50g or so lighter.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
chimp wrote: speculation :

PCI-E SSD, fanless for some model, longer 'standby' hours and 50g or so lighter.
Sweet, if true.
Banned
Sep 13, 2012
2673 posts
786 upvotes
chimp wrote: speculation :

PCI-E SSD
What is the advantage of this in the real world? Honest question. I don't think SATA III is bottlenecking most consumer SSDs.
Aim to be a better man than you were, rather than best those around you.
-Uncredited
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2014
5219 posts
1679 upvotes
Toronto
glassandmonocle wrote: What is the advantage of this in the real world? Honest question. I don't think SATA III is bottlenecking most consumer SSDs.
never used a macbook pro? that ssd is fast as *****.

800-900 read and write vs 500-600 of the top end regular ssds we use now.

its actually noticeable to me for certain tasks.
Banned
Sep 13, 2012
2673 posts
786 upvotes
How is the Macbook Pro SSD getting supra-normal consumer-level performance? Is it proprietary and specially programmed to work efficiently with the system?

In any case, to your point, touche.
-Uncredited
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2006
1091 posts
161 upvotes
Toronto
With the recent regional price adjustment, it's likely you wont see the 699 price tag till SP4 announcement, or Black Friday. BTS, deals might have the S3 bundled with a pen and sleeve or SP3 bundled with the kb and sleeve.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2006
2059 posts
3876 upvotes
lilclie wrote: With the recent regional price adjustment, it's likely you wont see the 699 price tag till SP4 announcement, or Black Friday. BTS, deals might have the S3 bundled with a pen and sleeve or SP3 bundled with the kb and sleeve.
Wondering whether the exchange rate price adjustment will remain for SP4 Thinking that the SP3 might get a bump down as clearance to near pre-adjusted price and SP4 will be existing SP3 pricing. When the S3 first came out, the gap between S3 and SP3 was pretty narrow. Seems the S3 came out taking higher exchange rate into consideration while SP3 had not. Now SP3 seems unjustifiably high. $1569 for the i5/256GB is in the X1 Carbon price range and for a niche product trying to gain mind/market share, you'd think being price competitive would be advantageous. Surface Pro KB for $160 is priced so poorly.
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2006
1091 posts
161 upvotes
Toronto
frugalcanuck wrote: Wondering whether the exchange rate price adjustment will remain for SP4 Thinking that the SP3 might get a bump down as clearance to near pre-adjusted price and SP4 will be existing SP3 pricing. When the S3 first came out, the gap between S3 and SP3 was pretty narrow. Seems the S3 came out taking higher exchange rate into consideration while SP3 had not. Now SP3 seems unjustifiably high. $1569 for the i5/256GB is in the X1 Carbon price range and for a niche product trying to gain mind/market share, you'd think being price competitive would be advantageous. Surface Pro KB for $160 is priced so poorly.
I am thinking it will remain unless the loonies strengthens by the time the SP4 is released and priced.

When I was looking at the S3, the conversion between the base S3 x currency rate was close to the CAD equivalent. Unfortunately, the CAD pricing is fairly high and will dissuade potential Canadian buyers from buying it. Since the launch of the S3, the prices of SP3 have been adjusted, like others companies have done so.

I will agree that the keyboard is poorly priced, it should be around $80-100 which is a gripe among other reviewers.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 30, 2011
7270 posts
719 upvotes
glassandmonocle wrote: What is the advantage of this in the real world? Honest question. I don't think SATA III is bottlenecking most consumer SSDs.
size, weight mainly, probably power as well. speed is a non issue to me, but added bonus in this case.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2007
2116 posts
1137 upvotes
Free performance upgrade.
Deal Addict
May 20, 2004
3377 posts
978 upvotes
Calgary
glassandmonocle wrote: How is the Macbook Pro SSD getting supra-normal consumer-level performance? Is it proprietary and specially programmed to work efficiently with the system?

In any case, to your point, touche.
Not proprietary, native PCIE at 4x data rate. My 2014 rMBP 13" came with a PCIE 2x SSD. I bought a 512 GB SSD off eBay that was taken from a new Mac Pro, and low and behold it worked at 4x just like in the Mac Pro. 950.6 MB/s write 917.8 MB/s read according to Blackmagic Disk Speed Check.

The 2015 use a new interface type, it should cut overhead and make for even better performance.

I have a Surface Pro 3 for work. It is great. The only thing I would like is even better battery - when I play MS Suduku at the airport the battery drains as if I was playing Witcher.

IMO the Surface 3 is a rip off when you factor the poor performance and lack of stylus - Surface without stylus seems crazy to me. On sale, the SP3 is what $100-150 more? Totally woth the extra money if you ask me.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
I just went with this today as I had a $50 email coupon from bestbuy.com This is in USD by the way.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-venue- ... Id=9936094

Hopefully it won't disappoint. :)

January review:
http://www.pcpro.co.uk/venue-11-pro-700 ... 000-review

Anandtech review:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/9160/the- ... 000-review

Damn, I need to purchase the stylus separately.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2014
1255 posts
241 upvotes
Burrowborough
alanbrenton wrote: Damn, I need to purchase the stylus separately.
They're only 50 bucks each.

So with the TypeCover only costing $160; you can be all set up with a Surface 3 with 128GB & 4GB RAM for just over $1100 out the door!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 24, 2004
8683 posts
573 upvotes
Toronto
I really want one. One Note + Stylus changed my life. I love having access to all my notes everywhere. Right now I'm using a Dell Venue tablet with a Synaptic digitizer and it's alright, but it eats AAAA (hard to find) like nothing. I tried the S3/SP3 in a Microsoft Store and the N-trig digitizer is a million times better! Now I want one so bad ... I think I'm gonna wait to see what the SP4 is like. I have an i7/16gb laptop for Solidworks/etc so this will be primarily a note-taking device, so I think I'll be okay with the S3 ...
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
KevC wrote: I really want one. One Note + Stylus changed my life. I love having access to all my notes everywhere. Right now I'm using a Dell Venue tablet with a Synaptic digitizer and it's alright, but it eats AAAA (hard to find) like nothing. I tried the S3/SP3 in a Microsoft Store and the N-trig digitizer is a million times better! Now I want one so bad ... I think I'm gonna wait to see what the SP4 is like. I have an i7/16gb laptop for Solidworks/etc so this will be primarily a note-taking device, so I think I'll be okay with the S3 ...
I hope the newer Synaptic stylus is slightly better. I wish there were AAAA Eneloops but there aren't and the price on amazon.com are 1/2 of what they are on amazon.ca :(

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/prod ... b#Overview
Banned
Sep 13, 2012
2673 posts
786 upvotes
RFDGypsy wrote: Is their a chinese knockoff for this device?
Yep. See my signature.
-Uncredited
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
KevC wrote: I really want one. One Note + Stylus changed my life. I love having access to all my notes everywhere. Right now I'm using a Dell Venue tablet with a Synaptic digitizer and it's alright, but it eats AAAA (hard to find) like nothing. I tried the S3/SP3 in a Microsoft Store and the N-trig digitizer is a million times better! Now I want one so bad ... I think I'm gonna wait to see what the SP4 is like. I have an i7/16gb laptop for Solidworks/etc so this will be primarily a note-taking device, so I think I'll be okay with the S3 ...
I picked this up for $16 (best offer) in the US:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Two-AAAA-4A-Rec ... 4aeab91087

The Dell Venue 11 Pro 7140 is a decent Surface 3 alternative though the Surface 4 may overshadow it, depending on the specs. I just picked mine up from the States and it's quite snappy though I have no intention of playing games. Haven't tried those rechargeable batteries on the latest Dell Active Stylus (750-AAGN) though.

The slim keyboard that came with it has a lot of flex when typing on my lap but at least it's included in the US Bestbuy bundle (I did receive a 10% coupon code from a Bestbuy US email a few weeks back):
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-venue- ... Id=9936094

Was fortunate not to get dinged custom duties so all in cost for the BB bundle was $600 CAD with the 8% NY state tax.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2009
1995 posts
1588 upvotes
Quebec City
Dell Venue 11 Pro 7140 is pretty ! Do you know what kind of processor under the hood?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2014
5219 posts
1679 upvotes
Toronto
MercadorHG wrote: Dell Venue 11 Pro 7140 is pretty ! Do you know what kind of processor under the hood?
Intel® Core® M-5Y10a
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
MercadorHG wrote: Dell Venue 11 Pro 7140 is pretty ! Do you know what kind of processor under the hood?
Financials wrote: Intel® Core® M-5Y10a
Financials is correct but the drive is mislabeled as eMMC on the packaging when it was confirmed several times over at tabletpcreview that it has a 64 GB Sandisk X110.

I only have 24-25 GB of space left before doing the Office 2013 install but since it's a secondary device, it will probably do, haha. Not investing anymore on it after the $40 Dell Active Stylus and rechargeable AAAA batteries.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)