• Nov 1st, 2018 7:52 am
[OP]
Nov 9, 2013
32 posts
31 upvotes
Toronto

MTO Refund on non expired car plates?

Just donated my 15 year sienna to Kars for Kids,

However my licence plate is still available until June of 2019, if I return the plates to MTO do I get a refund?
6 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2012
2574 posts
1721 upvotes
Richmond Hill
You receive a credit that you can use on a future "sticker".

It must be redeemed for a car you own, and it expires in two or three years, don't remember which.

You also need to bring the ownership with you when you return the plates.
Jan 14, 2007
444 posts
87 upvotes
GTA North
When I turned in a plate in May and another in July I was able to get a cheque from the MTO for the balance of the remaining months less any month that was partially used.

Based on my Nov B-day $45 for May return and $35 for July
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
13439 posts
2905 upvotes
London
HenryK046 wrote:
Oct 31st, 2018 3:15 pm
Just donated my 15 year sienna to Kars for Kids,

However my licence plate is still available until June of 2019, if I return the plates to MTO do I get a refund?
Off topic, too late now, but Kars for kids is one of those “bad “ charity stories hiding behind a seemingly good cause. Check them out before making a donation
https://www.charitywatch.org/charitywat ... urpose/179

tl:dr
- it's a charity that supports a very very narrow mission: orthodox religious outreach to Jewish youth and mostly to those that live in the NY/NJ area (only 10% of Jews are Orthodox)
- high expenses - only about 56% of funds collected goes to charity
- the majority of that 56% goes to a "shell" charity called "Oorah" which actually traced to the same individuals that run Kids for Kars. "Oorah" also has it's own expenses. The implication is those individuals with connections to both charities can "double dip" in the same pool of money
Last edited by l69norm on Oct 31st, 2018 10:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Nov 16, 2011
715 posts
441 upvotes
HAMILTON
To break it down easy, if your plates cost you $120/ year and you scrap the car after 6 months, the MTO will either give you a credit for the $60 still left of the plates so that you can apply that to new plates OR refund you the $60 - a $5.00 processing fee for writing and sending you the check ( so $55 ).
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2004
4399 posts
634 upvotes
Ottawa
As others have said, you can get a cheque from MTO if you simply want a refund.

One thing to keep in mind though is that you need to return the plates and not just the stickers and new plates cost $40 I believe. If you are planning on getting a replacement car, don't mind re-using the same plates and have 4-5 months or less left on the stickers, you might be better off just keeping the plates and losing the refund money.