Travel

[MUC / Munich] Any good car rental deals for the month of June?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 5th, 2018 7:21 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
46820 posts
12776 upvotes

[MUC / Munich] Any good car rental deals for the month of June?

I need to fit four adults and a toddler on a booster and the most reasonable I've seen for about to weeks is $405 USD for an automatic MB C Class. I already forgot where I saw that deal lol.

Also, how to find out if prices on aggregators are really all-inclusive or if there will be additional fees paid at the counter?

Thanks.
Last edited by alanbrenton on Nov 30th, 2018 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
26 replies
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
31493 posts
6127 upvotes
Ottawa
That is a very good rate for Germany. I will let you know that the C class for 4 adults and a car seat will be very cramped (especially if you have any luggage at all).
I use Auto Europe and have never had a problem so, to be sure, I keep all the paper work, all the details for when I pick up the car and made sure the information leaving the counter is exactly as I signed for online.
Also, take one of the counter people with you when you pick up (and return) the car and take photos of the vehicle and an extra photo with the rental person in it. The (very) fine print on your rental contract allows them to come back at you for up to a year and if there should be additional charges you being here and them there, it can save you a lot of time and aggravation and potentially money.
German drivers are nuts and beware of taxi's in the city. :)
In the 21st Century deleting history has become far more important than making it. Anonymous
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2009
1108 posts
400 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2018 3:05 pm
I need to fit four adults and a toddler on a booster and the most reasonable I've seen for about to weeks is $405 USD for an automatic MB C Class. I already forgot where I saw that deal lol.

Also, how to find out if prices on aggregators are really all-inclusive or if there will be additional fees paid at the counter?

Thanks.
RTFFP : read the fine print.
CTFS -- call the source

Cheers!
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
46820 posts
12776 upvotes
tequilla wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2018 3:28 pm
RTFFP : read the fine print.
CTFS -- call the source

Cheers!
Where's the F in the second one?
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2009
1108 posts
400 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2018 3:31 pm
Where's the F in the second one?
Aggregators, in general provide exact origin of car (Alamo, Sixt, Enterprise, etc)
but sometimes do "surprise" entry. There are long list of items that may be "extra":
second driver (and sometimes wife-husband go as one), baby seat, ski rack,
winter chains, kilometrage, GPS, border crossing limits, VAT, airport surcharge,
age surcharge (unless 25+) and may be something else.
Big deal -- insurance. In most case credit card with travel benefits cover main insurance,
but rental agent will go long way explaining that it is not enought, that CC covers 1 million but
in our country you can be sued up to 2 millions.....

So if in doubt (and even if not) it is good idea to call the company and
ask all outstanding questions.

Cheers!
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
46820 posts
12776 upvotes
Wow, these travel restrictions are ridiculous, how will they find out, do these cars come with GPS tracking (more than likely)? Do these countries really ban German cars? We are planning to visit a few of them lol.

Travel Into Other Countries (Avis):

What countries am I allowed to take the vehicle to? You are only allowed to use the vehicle in the following countries: Austria, Andorra, Belgium, Switzerland, Czech Republic, Germany, Denmark, Spain, France, Finland, Liechtenstein, Great Britain, Hungary, Croatia, Italy, Ireland, Luxemburg, Monaco, Norway, Netherlands, Portugal, Poland, San Marino, Sweden, Slovakia, Slovenia. Entries into HR, PL, SK, SLO, CZ and H are only allowed for vehicles up to medium class and not allowed for vehicles of the makes Audi, BMW, Jaguar, Land Rover, Mercedes Benz and Volkswagen. Entries to I and RSM are only allowed for vehicles up to executive class. Porsche vehicles may only be driven in D, A and CH. Using Ferries: You are allowed to travel on ferries, provided that our travel restrictions allow you to drive the specific vehicle in the specific country. However if you have a breakdown or the vehicle is not roadworthy or ready for use due to any other reason, you will have to pay for the costs of repatriation of the vehicle. You are not allowed to use the vehicle in the Albania (AL), Azerbaijan (AZ), Bulgaria (BG), Bosnia-Herzegovina (BIH) Belarus (BY), Cyprus (CY), Estonia (EST), Georgia (GE), Greece (GR), Iceland (IS), Kazakhstan (KZ), Latvia (LV), Lithuania (LT), Malta (M), Macedonia (MK; Moldavia (MD), Montenegro (MNE), Romania (RO), Russia (RUS), Serbia (SRB), Turkey (TR), Ukraine (UA) and any country outside continental Europe. Can I buy a product to allow me to drive in other countries? No, regrettably, we do not offer any products which enable you to drive in other countries.

Hertz/Alamo/Dollar:
For travel other countries outside of Germany a one-off fee of € 45.00 (excluding tax) will be charged.

Vehicles may be driven into all EU countries with the following exceptions: not allowed into Bulgaria, Estonia, Greece, Latvia, Lithuania or Romania. No other countries allowed. All Mercedes and BMW models are not allowed into Italy, Croatia, Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland, Slovakia or Slovenia.
Last edited by alanbrenton on Nov 2nd, 2018 9:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
46820 posts
12776 upvotes
Omakase wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2018 9:04 pm
Have you tried Sixt?
it's more expensive than going through carrentals.com
May 26, 2016
17 posts
8 upvotes
No offence, but finding the best deals should be last on your list of priorities. What you see on different sites is the rental price in MUC (default being that you are driving only in western Europe) but if you want to drive east then you'll have to contact them for availability, price and restrictions and don't be surprised if the price jumps by 30%.

How will they find out if you drive east? Again, that should be the least of your worries, better ask yourself who will cover/insure the rental, as far as I know any insurance will decline coverage if you do not follow the conditions from the rental agreement (there are some minor exceptions, i.e. some CC insurance will cover secondary driver even if the rental agreement does not allow it).

Back to your question it's irrelevant how (GPS) or even if they'll find out, they cannot fine you (nothing in the fine print) worst thing that can happen is that you may have difficulties in the future to rent from the same company. On a side note, in EU car rental companies have some kind of agreements with the border police and depending on where you cross the border there is a risk to ruin your vacation if the car is not (explicitly) allowed to drive into that country.

Regarding the car size, Pete_Coach is right, you'll be very cramped in a MB C180 and you'll have to travel extremely light to fit everything in the trunk but again, that shouldn't be your primary concern. Consider that most sites will show an MB C class but what you'll get depends on what they'll have available and most important how the MB C class is classified with that particular company in that country

Your first priority should be finding a reliable company that rents in MUC and allows "driving East". I would suggest emailing Gemut and/or calling AE for "a quote" for pickup in MUC and driving east (specify the countries where you wish to travel) and make sure you also get the rental company ($X with budget, $Y with Avis, $Z with National, ...).

Once you have a quote you can think about getting a better deal. I'm not going to be popular for this but here it is, you can get the same deal or even a better one if you deal directly with the rental company as opposed to a third party. I used to book with AE and got the rental from Avis until I had a bad experience in MUC and realized that no matter how supportive AE's CSR was, she was powerless. Since then I rent directly from Avis and I always got better deals than with AE not to mention a huge difference in "customer support".

If you need more info about renting in MUC let me know.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
46820 posts
12776 upvotes
I've booked at carrentals.com at Thrifty and Dollar and understand I have to use an Amex Business/Plat card or some stipulated card and also sent myself a copy of the T&C for these two companies.

As long as I don't rent a MB or BMW or any other make specified in the T&C, I should be good.

Will make sure to email them that I want something that can be driven to Eastern Europe and I will pay the $40 or so fee to drive the car outside Germany.

Full size:
2 week @ USD 142.25 / week USD 284.50
Estimated taxes & fees USD 153.22
Total amount of your booking USD 437.73
May 26, 2016
17 posts
8 upvotes
That is a good rate for full size driving east. Two thing to consider in MUC regardless of the rental company you might get away with minor scratches on the bumper but they will charge you for the smallest scratch on the rims, also take a very good look at the windshield at pickup.

In the past I was looking at Dollar/Hertz (MUC) for a better deal than Avis but after reading their T&C I decided that it wasn't for me, too many things could go wrong and it wasn't worth it. I am sure that you are aware about the insurance "problems" that some customers had with Dollar/Hertz in MUC, anyway their T&C is just mind boggling for me, 500 Euro if you drive in countries where you are not allowed (I guess I was wrong), being able to charge you after the drop-off, having to show a letter from the CC insurance (that shows the relationship between the rental company and insurance companies), ...
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
46820 posts
12776 upvotes
I have to pay $40 or so to drive it out of Germany but it's a one-time thing.

Thanks for the reminder. I need to call TDMM and ask if there is such a thing as international driving insurance.

If not, I will be as doubly careful.

Is it just MUC or most rental places in the EU? I rented in Italy and they were trying to sell me a $200 insurance for 4-days and I just declined it.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
31493 posts
6127 upvotes
Ottawa
alanbrenton wrote:
Nov 28th, 2018 3:51 pm
I've booked at carrentals.com at Thrifty and Dollar and understand I have to use an Amex Business/Plat card or some stipulated card and also sent myself a copy of the T&C for these two companies.

As long as I don't rent a MB or BMW or any other make specified in the T&C, I should be good.

Will make sure to email them that I want something that can be driven to Eastern Europe and I will pay the $40 or so fee to drive the car outside Germany.

Full size:
2 week @ USD 142.25 / week USD 284.50
Estimated taxes & fees USD 153.22
Total amount of your booking USD 437.73
Just to clarify, a full size in Germany (Europe) is not the same as a full size here. A full size over there may be a 3 series BMW. Pretty small for 4 people and luggage.
Also remember if you want automatic, it will be more.
Lastly, the fine print does allow the rental company to fine you or charge you for up to a year after the rental dates.
In the 21st Century deleting history has become far more important than making it. Anonymous
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
46820 posts
12776 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote:
Nov 29th, 2018 3:50 pm
Just to clarify, a full size in Germany (Europe) is not the same as a full size here. A full size over there may be a 3 series BMW. Pretty small for 4 people and luggage.
Also remember if you want automatic, it will be more.
Lastly, the fine print does allow the rental company to fine you or charge you for up to a year after the rental dates.
Those charges should not be car body related, right?

More about tolls, parking tickets, and other penalties?
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
31493 posts
6127 upvotes
Ottawa
alanbrenton wrote:
Nov 29th, 2018 3:58 pm
Those charges should not be car body related, right?

More about tolls, parking tickets, and other penalties?
I don't have any rental agreements with me to properly quote the phrases and conditions but I know I have been charged many months after rental for issues with the vehicle. There are quite a few pages of conditions. I was in a situation where the credit card company took care of it after hearing my side of things but, the rental company tried.