Travel

[MUC / Munich] Any good car rental deals for the month of June?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 5th, 2018 7:21 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
46819 posts
12774 upvotes
I gave them back the car, they said it was all good and they can come back and tell me they found something after other people have driven the car?

I'll make sure to take a walk around video of the car and get the name of the attendant who's doing the check upon return.

That's so ridiculous.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
31491 posts
6126 upvotes
Ottawa
alanbrenton wrote:
Nov 29th, 2018 4:13 pm
I gave them back the car, they said it was all good and they can come back and tell me they found something after other people have driven the car?

I'll make sure to take a walk around video of the car and get the name of the attendant who's doing the check upon return.

That's so ridiculous.
Yes actually. To be honest, I never get much more than a mileage check after bringing back the car.
I always take photos before and after the rental. I try to make very sure there is a person from the agency in at least one of the photos.
In the 21st Century deleting history has become far more important than making it. Anonymous
Deal Addict
Jun 10, 2011
1836 posts
379 upvotes
THORNHILL
Check Skyscanner's rental page. I've always found good deals in Germany through them. Last time I was in MUC I rented a Toyota Auris for a long weekend (Friday to Tuesday Morning for 80 euros.
Deal Addict
Jun 10, 2011
1836 posts
379 upvotes
THORNHILL
Word of advice. This didn't happen in Munich, but Frankfurt.
Be very careful if you rent with Goldcar (they usually have the cheapest prices). Last time I rented from them, they gave me trouble because my DL was renewed within the year and their rules say that you are considered a novice driver (huge charge) if you have less then 2 years on your driver's licence. I was forced to download and print my Ontario Driver Abstract and show it to them otherwise they were ready to cancel my reservation without a refund.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
46819 posts
12774 upvotes
I will stick with the bigger names. The European outfits seem to have more onerous T&C's and deposits.
May 26, 2016
17 posts
8 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote:
Nov 29th, 2018 3:50 pm
Just to clarify, a full size in Germany (Europe) is not the same as a full size here. A full size over there may be a 3 series BMW. Pretty small for 4 people and luggage.
Also remember if you want automatic, it will be more.
How comfortable a MB C class would be for 4 adults and a toddler is one thing but there's no way to get all the luggage in that trunk. In the last yrs I noticed (MUC) that there are more wagons & SUV's than sedans (MB, BMW, A4, VW) which would somehow solve the luggage problem but given the travel east restriction there's a very short list of cars left in that class (full-size automatic) and then of course it's the availability by the time OP gets to the counter.

On the other hand if OP's ok with manual he can accept to downgrade (he might even get the difference refunded) to what they call mid-size or intermediary but it won't be automatic; a lot of IDMR's/SDMR's are as large if not larger than the FDAR that he booked (ACRISS list the MB C class as P(remium)DA(utomatic)R but for us, the consumers, rental company list it as F(full-size)DAR).

In the booked class he might get a Volvo V60, Skoda Superb Wagon, some Kia (forgot the model), VW Touareg or downgrade to VW Passat wagon, Opel Insignia wagon, Ford Mondeo wagon... or Open Zafira, Ford Kuga, VW Tiguan, Renaul Scenic (most rental companies would classify these cross van/wagon/suv's as intermediate I(ntermediate)X(special)M(anual)R(air).
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
46819 posts
12774 upvotes
I wonder if I should drive manual then but that's an option lol.
May 26, 2016
17 posts
8 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote:
Nov 29th, 2018 3:05 pm
Is it just MUC or most rental places in the EU? I rented in Italy and they were trying to sell me a $200 insurance for 4-days and I just declined it.
It all depends on the rental car's T&C in the country where you pickup the car and who knows, it could also depend if the booking was on the company's website or a third party's website.

In MUC I rented from Avis and once from National and showing a (gold) CC was enough, they didn't even ask about insurance. I can't recall if Dollar has a counter in MUC but I know Hertz does and usually Hertz handles Thrifty & Dollar contracts the same way Avis is handling Budget's.

Take your booking, if you go with Carrentals with Dollar and check the "Car Rental Company Rules & Restrictions" you'll see (Dollar logo) i) Credit card AND ii) Written proof from the CC insurance ... If you go on Dollarcanada.ca (same price) and check their (Dollar) T&C you'll get Hertz T&C and the only requirement that you'll find is 1 or 2 CC depending on the car class but nothing about written proof of insurance ... If you browse their (general) FAQ you'll find:

"What do I need to bring with me?
To qualify to rent the Dollar vehicle, the renter must present at the time of rental a valid driver’s license and valid major credit card in the renter's own name with available credit."

From what I've seen those having a bad experience in MUC/FRA with Dollar have one thing in common, the written proof from CC insurance, it's not good, we didn't get the email/fax, I need a printout, ... and after an overnight flight, tired after waiting in line with your family (kids) luggage, ... many just give in and get their insurance. Also heard of cases when the written proof was ok but people being under pressure (you have the car key in your hand and can't wait to leave the counter) sign without reading the contract and only later they realize that the default was their insurance and that they should have checked the I decline insurance ... box.

Another thing to consider is that all major rental car companies have some kind of (free) membership and you can use "codes" to lower the price (i.e. your employer could have a code, other memberships (whatever Miles, costco, ...) would have codes with a specific rental car ... If as a member even after using some codes the price on their website is higher than with a third party, then there's a workaround. Book with the third party and you get an reservation# in your case you got a Dollar reservation#). Next login as a (Dollar) member and you may find the booking done with the third party already under your booking and if it's not there you can call in, give them the Dollar reservation# (from Carrentals) and they'll put the booking under your account (been there done that) so at the counter (i.e MUC) you show just your membership (not the booking) and driver license and maybe your CC (I said maybe because they have your CC on record).

This year was the first time in MUC that Avis and I'm sure all the others (Dollar/Hertz, Europecar, ...) implemented what we have here for years. Instead of the members only counter (downstairs) I bypassed the see of people and went directly to the parking lot, the keys and contract were in the car and at exit I lowered the window and showed the contract and my driver license (if it's your first rental as a member you have to go to the member counter in the parking lot to show your CC).

PS. I noticed that Dollar's T&C on carrentals says "Your reservation will be serviced by Hertz" so I guess it will be Hertz's contract that you'll sign.
May 26, 2016
17 posts
8 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote:
Dec 4th, 2018 11:32 am
I wonder if I should drive manual then but that's an option lol.
Stay with this (auto) class and if there isn't anything available you can downgrade. Maybe you'll be lucky, an agent can overwrite whatever it's in the T&C and you may get a VW Touareg SUV and in that case the agent would print "Allowed to travel to H, CZ. Please call ....." on your contract and sign it (I've seen this in MUC, btw MB is not allowed into Italy).
May 26, 2016
17 posts
8 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote:
Nov 29th, 2018 4:17 pm
Yes actually. To be honest, I never get much more than a mileage check after bringing back the car.
I always take photos before and after the rental. I try to make very sure there is a person from the agency in at least one of the photos.
Obviously you didn't drop-off/return a car in MUC. There all rental returns are handled by a third party. There are a lot of technicians, you'll see 3-5 lanes in front of you and they'll show you in which lane to get and tell you to stop behind the last car. They are moving very fast, as soon as you got your luggage out of the trunk someone will start checking the car, the area is well-lit there's plenty of space for them to move around the car, they know all the tricks and it's very unlikely that they'll miss even a small scratch (body damage). I never take pictures/video unless I disagree with the technician and to be honest I've never seen any customers taking pictures which make sense since it's a rental car "ideal" inspection facility (indoor, well-lid area, third party specialized in inspecting cars, tons of staff including supervisors, ...).

From Hertz 26 pages T&C:
Hidden damage: Some damage will not be apparent on post-rental inspection, such as damage caused to inaccessible parts of the vehicle (e.g. the engine, fuel tank or clutch) or hidden by adverse light or weather conditions. If we find any such damage we will notify you, with evidence, before we charge you.

Hertz would look silly to claim body damages to the car after the inspection due to "adverse light or weather conditions"? (silly not to the consumer but to the CC insurance staff, they know each other by their first names). In MUC you get a printout with the name of the tech that inspected the car and no $ charge for damages which is as good if not better than pictures taken with the car and a person from the agency.

As far as damages caused to inaccessible parts of the vehicles that's debatable. This year I forgot something in the car and since I had plenty of time before the flight I tried to find the car. Both the rental car and third party that handled the return were clueless so I went to scour the parking lots and in the end I found the car in the pickup area, it was less than 40 min after the drop-off. No matter how fast they are I don't see how they could check everything ("the engine") in 40 min, it certainly wasn't enough time to take it for a test drive to notice that, let's say, the engine was shutting off when driving above 120 km/h (I experience this with a BMW). So when the next customer would notice this "engine" problem and bring it to their attention who are they going to charge? Btw rentals have very low milage, there's a sticker on the windshield not to exceed 24k so they are all under warranty.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
31491 posts
6126 upvotes
Ottawa
Ttn545 wrote:
Dec 4th, 2018 12:17 pm
Obviously you didn't drop-off/return a car in MUC. .....
No, i did not drop off a car in Munich Airport.
I have dropped of cars in many many places over my many decades of business and pleasure travel and provided information and potential pitfalls I have encountered over my years of experience . Sorry you disagree.
In the 21st Century deleting history has become far more important than making it. Anonymous
May 26, 2016
17 posts
8 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote:
Dec 4th, 2018 2:27 pm
... Sorry you disagree.
I do not disagree, I'm just saying it's not the case in MUC where OP's next rental will be.