• Oct 5th, 2019 11:28 am
Tags:
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19536 posts
2260 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble

Much suffering for avocado and salmon.

Two very 'trendy' food items but behind them are scores of people who suffer just to get them to the tables.

18 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 9, 2003
5132 posts
981 upvotes
Calgary
What absolute crap for poor snowflakes.

Everything we eat requires hard work and suffering and often risk.

Meat because bulls can gore the ranchers. Tomatoes because pickers destroy their backs bending to plant and reap.

From now on I will only eat food that can be harvested with an app.
I apologize for offending sensitivities of alt right, alt left, or anyone in the middle, for humor or perspectives, for my maturity and occasional errors. I apologize for misunderstandings on gender, religion, politics, race or deals.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
Cough wrote: From now on I will only eat food that can be harvested with an app.
What about that poor coder with manglement going on about that in app purchase to harvest your watermelons faster?
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
7368 posts
4672 upvotes
Between Countries
When has salmon been a "trendy" food? Come to think of it, why would avocado be? They're not. They're pretty much staples.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9001 upvotes
Toronto
DiceMan wrote: When has salmon been a "trendy" food? Come to think of it, why would avocado be? They're not. They're pretty much staples.
Yup. Staples, especially
@ AYCE Japanese restaurants, where Avocado is a major part of their Vegetarian choices and salmon is a very important part of their regular AYCE menu.
I also happen to love Avocado salad served at these places.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19536 posts
2260 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
Avocado were so plentiful at one point these farmers could ink in sell them for .30 cents a kilogram but now they fetch well over $10 according to the documentary. I know you people didn’t watch it and are making knee jerk responses but if it weren’t so in demand people would not be taking up Ames to protect their farm from the gangsters who prey on them.

Nobody is suggesting you boycott these two food items just be mindful of true cost of these things before they arrive at your grocery store. I’d buy local if I was a consumer of these.

Anyway I’m sure the cheap stuff I buy from Walmart isn’t tainted with some Chinese factory workers blood sweat and tears so I’m not exactly blameless.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9001 upvotes
Toronto
Supercooled wrote: I know you people didn’t watch it and are making knee jerk responses
Yeah really eh? People should actually watch the video! They used actual English language voice overs so those who hate reading text for the non english parts don't have to.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
I hate avocado. Those greasy, slimy, no flavour green things Ughhh.
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Deal Guru
Mar 20, 2009
10168 posts
8297 upvotes
Toronto
Supercooled wrote: Avocado were so plentiful at one point these farmers could ink in sell them for .30 cents a kilogram but now they fetch well over $10 according to the documentary. I know you people didn’t watch it and are making knee jerk responses but if it weren’t so in demand people would not be taking up Ames to protect their farm from the gangsters who prey on them.

Nobody is suggesting you boycott these two food items just be mindful of true cost of these things before they arrive at your grocery store. I’d buy local if I was a consumer of these.

Anyway I’m sure the cheap stuff I buy from Walmart isn’t tainted with some Chinese factory workers blood sweat and tears so I’m not exactly blameless.
How would you expect me, living in Toronto, to purchase avocado or salmon locally?
"When someone is burning a book, they are showing utter contempt for all of the thinking that produced its ideas, all of the labor that went into its words and sentences, and all of the trouble that befell the author . . .” ― Lemony Snicket
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
DiceMan wrote: Come to think of it, why would avocado be?
They're the sole reason (along with toast) that millennials can't afford a house.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
May 12, 2014
997 posts
822 upvotes
Markham, ON
shikotee wrote: How would you expect me, living in Toronto, to purchase avocado or salmon locally?
Easy, wait for the salmon run and you can just grab one from the rivers, luckily that's in season. With avocados, buy a giant house and grow them yourself.

Here are where you can find salmon in the GTA, you're welcome
https://www.todocanada.ca/see-salmon-ru ... onto-area/

/S
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
21786 posts
4903 upvotes
Toronto
Cough wrote: What absolute crap for poor snowflakes.

Everything we eat requires hard work and suffering and often risk.

Meat because bulls can gore the ranchers. Tomatoes because pickers destroy their backs bending to plant and reap.

From now on I will only eat food that can be harvested with an app.
Yep. Having your family hacked to death by a cartel because you didn't turn over all your avocados is just part of the hard work getting your food to the table. I don't know why all these snowflakes are so up in arms over it.
Deal Guru
Mar 20, 2009
10168 posts
8297 upvotes
Toronto
Bobberts wrote: Easy, wait for the salmon run and you can just grab one from the rivers, luckily that's in season. With avocados, buy a giant house and grow them yourself.

Here are where you can find salmon in the GTA, you're welcome
https://www.todocanada.ca/see-salmon-ru ... onto-area/

/S
It's against my religion (and my doctors advice) to eat anything from the Humber river.
I actually don't (gasp) eat fish. I blame my mom's lousy perch-ball soup from the 80's.

If it were anyway practical, I would grow avocado.
While it is easy to get something to grow, yielding something edible is not.
Someday though, will build that high end greenhouse. Someday....
"When someone is burning a book, they are showing utter contempt for all of the thinking that produced its ideas, all of the labor that went into its words and sentences, and all of the trouble that befell the author . . .” ― Lemony Snicket
Deal Fanatic
Dec 9, 2003
5132 posts
981 upvotes
Calgary
Piro21 wrote: Yep. Having your family hacked to death by a cartel because you didn't turn over all your avocados is just part of the hard work getting your food to the table. I don't know why all these snowflakes are so up in arms over it.
And you think pig farmers aren't hacked to death by pig haters (must be careful with any racist stereotypes)??
I apologize for offending sensitivities of alt right, alt left, or anyone in the middle, for humor or perspectives, for my maturity and occasional errors. I apologize for misunderstandings on gender, religion, politics, race or deals.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
3116 posts
1093 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: I hate avocado. Those greasy, slimy, no flavour green things Ughhh.
I never thought avocados tastes good either, I have no clue why anyone eats them. I mean if it’s in front of me I will eat it but it’s not a food I’d go out and buy
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
shikotee wrote: How would you expect me, living in Toronto, to purchase avocado or salmon locally?
Don't you have a grocery store locally? :)
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Deal Guru
Mar 20, 2009
10168 posts
8297 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone close to Squamish river?
Grab the ones who are still squirming

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british- ... 81?cmp=rss