• Aug 14th, 2018 4:34 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
1859 posts
341 upvotes
Belle River

Multiplayer PC racing games with short races

Friend and I are working on a 2 player racing setup with G29s and PCs. Original plan was to run old arcade racing classics, but I thought might as well also look into regular PC racing games since the arcade dumps stuff and such are going to be a lot of work, and the stability at this point seems low. People talk about how their TeknoParrot or whatever worked fine then one day doesn't work anymore and they can't figure out why, etc. I still wanna get that stuff going but I'd like to also have PC games that "just work" as a backup and to get us playing ASAP.

The problem with PC racing games is that unlike those arcade games they aren't designed for quick short experiences, and that's what we need when a bunch of people are hanging out waiting to take turns. Also I'm not sure how quickly and easily you can setup a "private" 2 player race like that, and then run it again without having to go all the way out to a main menu etc. I guess LAN would be ideal to speed this process up so we're not connecting to the game's servers over and over.

Anyone have suggestions? Basically looking for PC racing games that will give us a quick/short experience close to that of arcade racers like Daytona USA, that also have wheel support, specifically the Logitech G29.
4 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
6057 posts
2173 upvotes
Toronto
Lots of PC racers have the ability to host private matches for short circuit lap races or sprints. In fact I'm having a harder time thinking of ones that don't allow you to do that but here are a bunch that do.

GRID Autosport - Slightly older game but it's still very good and has everything you want
Forza Horizon 3 - try demo first to make sure you don't have performance issues. If you don't then this is one of the best arcade racers on PC currently
Dirt 3 and DIRT Rally - Rally is far better with a wheel and much more realistic and difficult than Dirt 3. Dirt 3 is still a fun arcade racer for short multiplayer races though.
Project Cars - Host a private match and setup short racers on any track you want. More sim than arcade handling. Good wheel support though
Assetto Corsa - By far the most realistic and best feeling wheel support on PC. Again a sim and no easy arcade handling here. Setup a private server on one of the two machines to play races with any settings you want.

Best part is most of these games can be bought for pretty cheap now.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
1859 posts
341 upvotes
Belle River
Thanks, and I own some of those already. Realistic might be fun from time to time with certain people, but arcade-y will of course be better for most players, but then that's what the arcade :) classics are for.

I forgot to mention I wanna try to do this on Windows 7 so some of them like Forza I guess are not gonna work. I'm really struggling with that decision, but I'm imagining Windows 10 will cause so many headaches for this kinda thing.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
6057 posts
2173 upvotes
Toronto
hystavito wrote:
Aug 14th, 2018 2:58 pm
I forgot to mention I wanna try to do this on Windows 7 so some of them like Forza I guess are not gonna work. I'm really struggling with that decision, but I'm imagining Windows 10 will cause so many headaches for this kinda thing.
I've been sim racing and playing all the games I mentioned on Windows 10 pretty much since launch day and haven't run into any issues. Not sure about compatibility with whatever retro arcade emulators you intend on setting up though. Generally speaking I do most of my gaming on Windows 10 with little to no issues and when there is an issue it's always with the game itself rather than the OS.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
1859 posts
341 upvotes
Belle River
ReeGee wrote:
Aug 14th, 2018 3:02 pm
I've been sim racing and playing all the games I mentioned on Windows 10 pretty much since launch day and haven't run into any issues. Not sure about compatibility with whatever retro arcade emulators you intend on setting up though. Generally speaking I do most of my gaming on Windows 10 with little to no issues and when there is an issue it's always with the game itself rather than the OS.
Sorry yeah I only meant Windows 10 will probably create issues with the emulators, frontends, etc. My gaming PC is Windows 10 and yes it's fine I agree.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)