Off Topic

Locked: Multiple casualties, over 27 dead in mosque shootings, 4 arrested so far - New Zealand

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 15th, 2019 4:30 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
1756 posts
1319 upvotes

Multiple casualties, over 27 dead in mosque shootings, 4 arrested so far - New Zealand

This hits close to home after the mosque shooting in Quebec not so long ago.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/national/11131393 ... ristchurch

I will not post it due to sickening nature but the shooter livestreamed it online as well

This is only 2 days after a politically motivated attack in New Zealand on the the minister for climate change

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/ ... ed-in-park
* Sources say nine people have died after a shooting at a mosque on Deans Ave
* It's understood there has been a second shooting in Lindwood
* There are unconfirmed reports that a bomb has been found on Strickland Ave
* A witness inside the Christchurch mosque on Deans Ave said a man came in with an automatic rifle and shot people
* Witnesses said they heard "a bunch of shots" on Deans Ave. The road was cordoned off about 2.20pm
* Eyewitnesses reported several have been killed, though officials have not confirmed this
* Stuff understands the emergency department at Christchurch Hospital had been cleared out. Hospital staff were expecting about 40 to 50 injured people
* A roadblock has been set up at the Aldwins Rd and Linwood Ave intersection
* About 20 armed police are clearing buildings in Linwood, across from Eastgate Mall
* Police are warning people to stay indoors and to report any suspicious behaviour to 111.
Edit, 27 dead now, probably will go higher

Up to 27 people are dead and dozens more injured, with victims in two locations across
three possible crime scenes, after mass shootings in Christchurch, according to the
@nzherald
This is just sickening and sad, especially in a place like new Zealand where there's not been mass casualties attacks by any group before so don't even understand how someone can go target a particular group like this

4 arrested so far

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/new-zeala ... -1.5057595

A man who claimed responsibility for the shootings left a 74-page anti-immigrant manifesto in which he explained who he was and his reasoning for his actions. He said he considered it a terrorist attack.
Last edited by StatsGuy on Mar 15th, 2019 1:02 am, edited 4 times in total.
Share:
107 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
20677 posts
144324 upvotes
GTA
Absolutely horrific, just unimaginable, and livestreaming it, that is another level of sick.

Edit: NZ Herald is reporting dozens are feared dead

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/arti ... d=12213039
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2004
1562 posts
463 upvotes
Toronto
I saw a clip of the video and it's literally sickening. I'm nauseous and in disbelief that someone could do that. The carnage and destruction is terrifying.

As of now, the shooter is still active.
toguy wrote:
Mar 14th, 2019 10:56 pm
Absolutely horrific, just unimaginable, and livestreaming it, that is another level of sick.

Edit: NZ Herald is reporting dozens are feared dead

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/arti ... d=12213039
It's going to be way more than dozens. 100's more likely.

Edit: updated due to more info
Deal Fanatic
Feb 29, 2008
8751 posts
3825 upvotes
RIP.
Jan 30, 2017
571 posts
35 upvotes
RIP, this world is messed. I'm sick to my stomach. Seen some of the stills of the video and dont think I'll be sleeping tonight.
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2003
4935 posts
2045 upvotes
A Place to Stand
Do yourself a favour, and do not watch this. One of the absolute worst things I've ever seen.

Last edited by MrDisco on Mar 15th, 2019 12:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Unnecessary
Apr 14, 2017
894 posts
411 upvotes
DT Calgary
Likely much more than 9 deaths. After watching the video It'll be dozens of deaths. Such an unnecessary loss of life, and something that'll likely result in retributory attacks and/or copycats.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2002
5718 posts
201 upvotes
I thought New Zealand was one of the good countries. The cancer of white nationalism turns its head again. The exact same as Islamic terrorism. All that fake news you consume and defend in the name of freedom of speech, this is the consequence.
Jul 11, 2018
699 posts
498 upvotes
fakishan wrote:
Mar 15th, 2019 12:17 am
I thought New Zealand was one of the good countries. The cancer of white nationalism turns its head again. The exact same as Islamic terrorism. All that fake news you consume and defend in the name of freedom of speech, this is the consequence.
this has nothing to do with freedom of speech, guy, this is a terrorist who hated muslims and slaughtered people peacefully practicing their faith

there was also evidently a second shooting at a mosque involving multiple people (not sure if the same guy too), the shooter(s) was/were stopped by an armed muslim guy defending people there causing them to flee.. thankfully a larger disaster there averted
Best deals:
Deal Guru
Feb 23, 2008
11119 posts
867 upvotes
Brampton
I'm reading 27 dead, and bombs were placed on cars.
Lets Go Blue Jays!!!
May 31, 2017
108 posts
65 upvotes
montreal
FreshCo wrote:
Mar 14th, 2019 11:45 pm
Likely much more than 9 deaths. After watching the video It'll be dozens of deaths..
saw it as well, i'd say probably 40-50 dead, the guy looked "professional" very calm and methodical, crazy stuff...
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2011
3013 posts
320 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
Just curious, what hurdles do you need to jump over to legally obtain an automatic weapon in New Zealand?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2002
5718 posts
201 upvotes
TaurusJudge wrote:
Mar 15th, 2019 12:29 am
this has nothing to do with freedom of speech, guy, this is a terrorist who hated muslims and slaughtered people peacefully practicing their faith

you are wrong. these people are born online, where freedom of hate speech exists.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2002
5718 posts
201 upvotes
loserga wrote:
Mar 15th, 2019 12:41 am
Just curious, what hurdles do you need to jump over to legally obtain an automatic weapon in New Zealand?
why does this question of legality matter? terrorists will always find guns, especially white terrorists in western countries. all white nationalists/supremacists are radicals. they will not denounce these terrorists.