Careers

What to do if I get multiple job offers?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 29th, 2020 4:12 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2012
1988 posts
339 upvotes
Canada

What to do if I get multiple job offers?

I interviewed with job A - 3 weeks ago they reached out to me today to tell me im still in the running and will let me know the next steps by end of next week.

meanwhile, job B .. checked my references but NO offer have been made yet!! but I feel its forthcoming what to do??

I want job A how do I buy time IF job B offers me a job.
Last edited by bluenose2 on Aug 10th, 2018 12:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
52 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
I think you should worry about getting the first offer before you start worrying about multiple offers... But you can always quit the first job if you get a better offer. It's not like you'll be an indispensable part of their team in the first week. It may burn your bridge with that company, though...

C
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2012
1988 posts
339 upvotes
Canada
CNeufeld wrote: I think you should worry about getting the first offer before you start worrying about multiple offers... But you can always quit the first job if you get a better offer. It's not like you'll be an indispensable part of their team in the first week. It may burn your bridge with that company, though...

C
Right maybe I’m jumping the guns as I have not received any offer from either company as yet.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
Well, your first hurdle is getting an offer...

Then you need to decide if it's a workable offer.

Then you can worry about how to delay it if it's not really what you want.

Right now, it's like you bought a lottery ticket, and you're asking how you should invest your money when you win.

But here's hoping you have something happen so you can enjoy your weekend!!!

C
Deal Expert
Jun 26, 2011
15096 posts
5413 upvotes
GTA
Put yourself first. If you really want company A but company B gives you an offer, I'd take it because based on your other thread it might be the only offer to come. If offer A comes later, then jump ship. Like CNeufeld said you'll burn a bridge but you gotta do what you gotta do.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2012
1988 posts
339 upvotes
Canada
CNeufeld wrote: Well, your first hurdle is getting an offer...

Then you need to decide if it's a workable offer.

Then you can worry about how to delay it if it's not really what you want.

Right now, it's like you bought a lottery ticket, and you're asking how you should invest your money when you win.

But here's hoping you have something happen so you can enjoy your weekend!!!

C
what does it mean when Job A say they will contact me next week with the next steps?? I already did 2 interviews.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
bluenose2 wrote: what does it mean when Job A say they will contact me next week with the next steps?? I already did 2 interviews.
Next steps might be a background check, reference checks, some kind of test... No idea, since I don't know what the job is... Or it might just be an offer.

C
Jul 29, 2007
904 posts
674 upvotes
Pacific Northwest
This is a very good question, I'll use myself as an example. Multiple job offers on the same day after three interviews a couple weeks prior.
Each job at the time (17.5 years ago) were hiring similar positions. I took one of the jobs and informed others I had a better competing offer.
I took job 3, as the minimum wage was like $10 or something, it was the best paid/benefits/vacation, etc and I stayed with them for 7.5 years.

Job 1) A wholesaler of computer components wanted me to be the hardware RMA technician, minimum wage
Job 2) A technology firm that wanted me to be a testing analyst for their handheld applications, minimum wage
Job 3) A software company wanting me to be their help desk or support tech for issues by taking calls/emails/etc, $12

There are mainly 5 steps towards getting hired, give or take a step or two: HR looks at the top 5 or so choices and pick from that.
1) Resume/Cover letter, 2) Interview one 3) Exam/Testing of Skills, 4) Interview two 5) Lastly - references.
Basically, their final decision on which candidate takes the position after they check the references.
From the looks of things, job A - you're in the running as it's the "final phase", it's 50/50 at this point.

I have responded to your 56 and unemployed thread, just wondering how I missed it last year...
Have you read this post #278? https://forums.redflagdeals.com/56-unem ... #p29590358
And this one #295? https://forums.redflagdeals.com/56-unem ... #p29608475
Or this post #314? https://forums.redflagdeals.com/56-unem ... #p29630239
Thank you RFD community for helping me with spending money!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
6029 posts
1391 upvotes
Toronto
Yes, quitting the earlier job one was offered first for a better offer afterwards is not an uncommon scenario if it comes to that. Nothing to worry about. Good luck!
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
8541 posts
2655 upvotes
Toronto
bluenose2 wrote: I interviewed with job A - 3 weeks ago they reached out to me today to tell me im still in the running and will let me know the next steps by end of next week.

meanwhile, job B .. checked my references but NO offer have been made yet!! but I feel its forthcoming what to do??

I want job A how do I buy time IF job B offers me a job.
Job A employer say you are still running, still running does not mean you are already in. It still have at least another round of interview. So don't consider this as an offer.

Job B employer do a reference check, if you fail reference check then bye bye...…

So where is the multiple job offer?
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2012
1988 posts
339 upvotes
Canada
cgtlky wrote: Job A employer say you are still running, still running does not mean you are already in. It still have at least another round of interview. So don't consider this as an offer.

Job B employer do a reference check, if you fail reference check then bye bye...…

So where is the multiple job offer?
I was jumping the gun should know more next week stay tuned.
Nov 20, 2016
175 posts
165 upvotes
I would just like to congratulate the OP on getting to this point. Based on some of his earlier posts he's had a pretty rough go at job hunting, but he's kept at it. Good job! It looks like your perseverance might be paying off after all.
Jul 29, 2007
904 posts
674 upvotes
Pacific Northwest
<staying tuned> this is like a drama/movie that never ends... exciting isn't it? really!
kinda keeping me in the loop and anxious to find out what's going to happen next...
Thank you RFD community for helping me with spending money!
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2012
1988 posts
339 upvotes
Canada
Saltywetguy wrote: <staying tuned> this is like a drama/movie that never ends... exciting isn't it? really!
kinda keeping me in the loop and anxious to find out what's going to happen next...
glad I could be an amusement for you! anyway.. its a very stressful time for me!!
I may not even get an offer from either jobs
only time will tell
and with my luck .. :rolleyes:
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
4867 posts
2067 upvotes
Edmonton
bluenose2 wrote: glad I could be an amusement for you! anyway.. its a very stressful time for me!!
I may not even get an offer from either jobs
only time will tell
and with my luck .. :rolleyes:
Like I said in the other thread. Move to another country, make a career there(teaching English),enjoy the 400k and have coconuts and Pina colada all day long
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
Jul 29, 2018
50 posts
52 upvotes
bluenose2 wrote: glad I could be an amusement for you! anyway.. its a very stressful time for me!!
It's more educational than amusement for me. There aren't many personal experiences regarding this (dealing with multiple offers) to be found in the internet. Please do update!

Best of luck to you. My father was laid off at mid age as well, I feel your pain.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2012
1988 posts
339 upvotes
Canada
noobification wrote: It's more educational than amusement for me. There aren't many personal experiences regarding this (dealing with multiple offers) to be found in the internet. Please do update!

Best of luck to you. My father was laid off at mid age as well, I feel your pain.
Man I was really jumping the gun! Both jobs never contacted me back ! WTF
One checked my references never got an answer so I’m assuming the job went to another candidate
And the other job never got back to me with the next steps
I thought I would of gotten some closure by nowPouting Face
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
It doesn't hurt to touch base with them, to get your closure. If they're still interested, they'll let you know. If they're not interested, maybe you can find out why, but you have nothing to lose. Perhaps one of your references isn't as solid as you might wish...

But it's not uncommon for companies to "ghost" you if they go another route, unfortunately.

C
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2012
1988 posts
339 upvotes
Canada
CNeufeld wrote: It doesn't hurt to touch base with them, to get your closure. If they're still interested, they'll let you know. If they're not interested, maybe you can find out why, but you have nothing to lose. Perhaps one of your references isn't as solid as you might wish...

But it's not uncommon for companies to "ghost" you if they go another route, unfortunately.

C
I contacted them both via email the ball is in their court - my references gave me solid references for my last job.
No need to find out why .. it means. Stronger candidate was selected for the role.
from my experience, I'm just going to move on and keep applying for other opportunities.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2006
2470 posts
1415 upvotes
bluenose2 wrote: I contacted them both via email the ball is in their court - my references gave me solid references for my last job.
No need to find out why .. it means. Stronger candidate was selected for the role.
from my experience, I'm just going to move on and keep applying for other opportunities.
Finally some good attitude from you - chin up and keep trying.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)