Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2012
1034 posts
150 upvotes
ORLEANS

Mushroom growing in my bathroom!

So in late 2015, we got the second floor bathroom renovated. We have 2 bathrooms on second floor. Master and the public one. we renovated the public bathroom removed that standand tub/shower and replaced it with a 5 feet dedicated shower unit purchased from costco. replaced all the wall tiles inside the shower and the floor tiles as well. Now in June 2018, i see a small mushroom sprouting from the floor beside the shower floor in between the floor tile and the corner of the wall. So i just grabbed a tissue and ripped it off and wiped that corner clean. The corner was also kind of moist but no water leak since we install the unit and still no leak now. If it was leaking water our house will show water leaks on the main floor beneath the shower? I dont see it yet and its been almost 3 years. But today when i came home i see a big mushroom sprouted. When i searched online people said it might not be leaking water but moisture is causing the mushroom to grow and can eventually ruin the floor/wall. i searched it online and people said i should use bleach mixed with water spray and clean the infected area. but thats only a temporary fix. we need to see what is going on behind the wall and fix it.

any suggestions or comments? im not sure what i should do. help
Images
  • 30C0F871-9533-4005-AEC0-609D969DFDFC.jpeg
  • 734E4375-E06B-4A24-A1B7-83AA562958CB.jpeg
  • 6EE08815-2FDC-4131-98A9-329F1064E14F.jpeg
Last edited by Palidino on Oct 12th, 2018 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
19 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
2190 posts
1066 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
Mushrooms require organic material and water to grow. Your shower is definitely leaking, and the wood underneath is rotting.
Stop using the shower immediately. Just because you haven't seen it on the main floor only means that the leak is small enough that the surrounding wood (subfloor, and possibly joists) are absorbing the moisture. If you don't deal with it, the damage may become structural.

The fix may be as simple as applying silicone around the shower unit. The tricky part is trying to figure out exactly where it is leaking. I would be guessing without knowing the design of the shower.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
7135 posts
4084 upvotes
Edmonton
MrFrugal1 wrote:
Oct 11th, 2018 11:41 pm
Mushrooms require organic material and water to grow. Your shower is definitely leaking, and the wood underneath is rotting.
Stop using the shower immediately. Just because you haven't seen it on the main floor only means that the leak is small enough that the surrounding wood (subfloor, and possibly joists) are absorbing the moisture. If you don't deal with it, the damage may become structural.

The fix may be as simple as applying silicone around the shower unit. The tricky part is trying to figure out exactly where it is leaking. I would be guessing without knowing the design of the shower.
There also could be a leaking pipe. But basically, you're looking at tearing some stuff apart to figure out what's going on. Plucking the one mushroom isn't going to solve anything; that's just the "fruit" of the fungus. And you probably have mould going on as well as the mushrooms, but the mould just isn't visible.

TSP is the active ingredient in Concrobium, an anti-fungal spray. But if you've got moisture problems, it's just temporary.

C
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2012
1034 posts
150 upvotes
ORLEANS
Here is the pictures
Images
  • 3347B20E-674B-45C3-9AEC-540C5FDC6D40.jpeg
  • 671AB3FA-BA07-4713-B22C-BF00D5E75F3D.jpeg
  • 49B0F64D-D4E2-405F-B3FF-90CACFED2F14.jpeg
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2012
1034 posts
150 upvotes
ORLEANS
MrFrugal1 wrote:
Oct 11th, 2018 11:41 pm

In the corner on the floor beside the broom in the picture, it was moist with idk what material. Then he replaced it with this white goo thing. And then the mushroom sprouted from that white thing inside the wall
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2012
1034 posts
150 upvotes
ORLEANS
CNeufeld wrote:
Oct 11th, 2018 11:56 pm
There also could be a leaking pipe. But basically, you're looking at tearing some stuff apart to figure out what's going on. Plucking the one mushroom isn't going to solve anything; that's just the "fruit" of the fungus. And you probably have mould going on as well as the mushrooms, but the mould just isn't visible.

TSP is the active ingredient in Concrobium, an anti-fungal spray. But if you've got moisture problems, it's just temporary.

C
If the shower isn’t leaking water and is just moisture, can that be enough to make the fungus/mould grow?

The old shower/tub with shower head didn’t produce a lot of moisture before. The walls were dry and no water/moisture dripping from the walls. But with this new shower panel, it seems like it produces a lot of moisture. After shower with the door closed and fan on, the mirror is fogged, the wall has streaks of water/moisture dripping. So could it be the strong moisture causing all this fungus/mould to form without any actually water leaks?
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2003
1224 posts
105 upvotes
Grimsby
Palidino wrote:
Oct 12th, 2018 12:48 am
If the shower isn’t leaking water and is just moisture, can that be enough to make the fungus/mould grow?

Yes it can. There is dampness there probably not from any leak other than what looks like a poor silicone job right in the bottom corner. The installer might have had an issue getting a caulking gun between the shower and toilet to do a better job.

I would wipe it out with bleach to kill the spores then wait a while for any repeat. On my morning walks in the last 2 days I have seen numerous mushrooms sprouting on lawns where I have never seen them before. Weather conditions are obviously ideal right now for them to grow.

My daughter recently had a similar shower installed but she took the precaution of having both glass panels sliding. That way they can both be kept off the wall a couple of inches when not in use to allow air flow and keep things dry.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2012
1034 posts
150 upvotes
ORLEANS
Owbist wrote:
Oct 12th, 2018 6:48 am
Yes it can. There is dampness there probably not from any leak other than what looks like a poor silicone job right in the bottom corner. The installer might have had an issue getting a caulking gun between the shower and toilet to do a better job.

I would wipe it out with bleach to kill the spores then wait a while for any repeat. On my morning walks in the last 2 days I have seen numerous mushrooms sprouting on lawns where I have never seen them before. Weather conditions are obviously ideal right now for them to grow.

My daughter recently had a similar shower installed but she took the precaution of having both glass panels sliding. That way they can both be kept off the wall a couple of inches when not in use to allow air flow and keep things dry.
The toilet was removed prior to installing the shower unit. Because all the floor tiles was replaced as well. What’s the white thing in the corner of the wall the guy put in? It seems soft. Do you know if it is just moisture leaking out? So a poor job of silicone somewhere?
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
2190 posts
1066 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
Palidino wrote:
Oct 12th, 2018 9:30 am
The toilet was removed prior to installing the shower unit. Because all the floor tiles was replaced as well. What’s the white thing in the corner of the wall the guy put in? It seems soft. Do you know if it is just moisture leaking out? So a poor job of silicone somewhere?
That gooey white thing looks like a giant gob of silicone. It's a pretty bad way of finishing the tile edge.
I'm going to guess, based on the black mold at that corner, that water is leaking around the aluminum glass trim, is running down to the base. The best solution would be be to remove the door assembly and redo the silicone. You can try just adding silicone to the OUTSIDE of the glass to trim, (which is where it's supposed to be). It needs to be clean, and absolutely 100% dry. Use a hair dryer if necessary.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2012
1034 posts
150 upvotes
ORLEANS
MrFrugal1 wrote:
Oct 12th, 2018 9:51 am
That gooey white thing looks like a giant gob of silicone. It's a pretty bad way of finishing the tile edge.
I'm going to guess, based on the black mold at that corner, that water is leaking around the aluminum glass trim, is running down to the base. The best solution would be be to remove the door assembly and redo the silicone. You can try just adding silicone to the OUTSIDE of the glass to trim, (which is where it's supposed to be). It needs to be clean, and absolutely 100% dry. Use a hair dryer if necessary.
Ok, I will try that, but can I use the shower head and spray the corner from inside the shower to see if it actually is leaking or is not possible to see because it can leak from the inside and sink into the corner which is not actually leaking from the outside corner?
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2009
2275 posts
1146 upvotes
GTA
Whoever finished that tile/baseboards/shower base combo should be smacked with sledge hammer on each hand at least once. They should use your pictures at trades college in "how not to butcher" classes.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
2190 posts
1066 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
Palidino wrote:
Oct 12th, 2018 10:51 am
Ok, I will try that, but can I use the shower head and spray the corner from inside the shower to see if it actually is leaking or is not possible to see because it can leak from the inside and sink into the corner which is not actually leaking from the outside corner?
Yes, certainly try that first.
Another thing to check is if the toilet is leaking. There is a grout line leading right to that spot. Also, do not discount the possibility of the moisture coming from pee. If you have a lot of males in your house with bad aim, the piss can soak into the baseboard and drywall.
I've seen rotten trim and moldy drywall caused by exactly that, on more than one occasion.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2007
12930 posts
1533 upvotes
Palidino wrote:
Oct 12th, 2018 12:42 am
In the corner on the floor beside the broom in the picture, it was moist with idk what material. Then he replaced it with this white goo thing. And then the mushroom sprouted from that white thing inside the wall
Sorry..I just don't see this magic mushroom? Are you sure that it is not a part of the nylon fiber from the broom?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
28780 posts
4056 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
eldiablo wrote:
Oct 12th, 2018 12:43 pm
Sorry..I just don't see this magic mushroom?
I think it was plucked before the pictures were taken