Automotive

Locked: Must know: new changes to driving enforcement laws

  • Last Updated:
  • Dec 8th, 2018 9:01 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 17, 2009
1852 posts
620 upvotes

Must know: new changes to driving enforcement laws

This should be front-page news. Because "dear justin" legalized weed, which is not always easy to detect (absent the smell), they also changed the rules regarding driving enforcement laws. Compulsory breath tests for drivers coming to Canada, in the New Year (2019).

What does that mean to the average person? Here's what:

Today, police require reasonable and probable grounds (RPG) to get you to blow into a roadside screening device. If you deny having drunk anything and don't smell of booze, there would be no RPG, so police cannot make you take the test. Not legally.

Next year, with this draconian rule coming into effect, what you say to the police, does not matter: they don't need RPG. You take the test. If you don't, you're looking at administrative suspension and criminal charges for refusing a breathalyzer sample. If you take it and fail, your own evidence, obtained compulsory against your will, will be used to convict you.

Although they say that police still need a "lawful reason" to pull you over in the first place, they don't mention the RIDE festive program. Our courts have said that RIDE does not infringe on your Charter rights. So, guess what? If you get stopped at a RIDE program, you'll be taking the test, whether you want to or not.

I'm all for taking drunk drivers off the road, but this infringement on people's rights is not good for any of us. How is this any different from carding?
Corvus oculum corvi non eruit.
Share:
89 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2011
2846 posts
305 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
I believe trying to deter people from driving drunk has been as fruitless as Prohibition. People simply want to drink, and simply want to drive. Something needs to be done to accommodate these desires so that less harm is done.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
6361 posts
2473 upvotes
Kootenays
Micelli_Illuminatti wrote:
Dec 4th, 2018 3:36 pm
This should be front-page news. Because "dear justin" legalized weed, which is not always easy to detect (absent the smell), they also changed the rules regarding driving enforcement laws. Compulsory breath tests for drivers coming to Canada, in the New Year (2019).

What does that mean to the average person? Here's what:

Today, police require reasonable and probable grounds (RPG) to get you to blow into a roadside screening device. If you deny having drunk anything and don't smell of booze, there would be no RPG, so police cannot make you take the test. Not legally.

Next year, with this draconian rule coming into effect, what you say to the police, does not matter: they don't need RPG. You take the test. If you don't, you're looking at administrative suspension and criminal charges for refusing a breathalyzer sample. If you take it and fail, your own evidence, obtained compulsory against your will, will be used to convict you.

Although they say that police still need a "lawful reason" to pull you over in the first place, they don't mention the RIDE festive program. Our courts have said that RIDE does not infringe on your Charter rights. So, guess what? If you get stopped at a RIDE program, you'll be taking the test, whether you want to or not.

I'm all for taking drunk drivers off the road, but this infringement on people's rights is not good for any of us. How is this any different from carding?
Good. If you can't serve the time, don't do the crime.
Penalty Box
Sep 30, 2011
1509 posts
282 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
Micelli_Illuminatti wrote:
Dec 4th, 2018 3:36 pm
I'm all for taking drunk drivers off the road,
For what you said, you are not
Micelli_Illuminatti wrote:
Dec 4th, 2018 3:36 pm
but this infringement on people's rights is not good for any of us. How is this any different from carding?
Carding is necessary to deter criminal, before BLM cries out and get disproportionate CBC fake news coverage, Toronto doesn't have gun shot every weekend.
<No political content in signatures>
Banned
Mar 13, 2018
1385 posts
651 upvotes
Good

Courts have ruled cops can do roadside stop already for RIDE checks. This makes it that they can get you to provide a breath sample too

Driving is not a right, it's a privilege

Glad the cons are supportive of this even coming from the liberals
Last edited by Gboard2 on Dec 5th, 2018 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Banned
Mar 13, 2018
1385 posts
651 upvotes
Micelli_Illuminatti wrote:
Dec 4th, 2018 3:36 pm
This should be front-page news. Because "dear justin" legalized weed, which is not always easy to detect (absent the smell), they also changed the rules regarding driving enforcement laws. Compulsory breath tests for drivers coming to Canada, in the New Year (2019).

What does that mean to the average person? Here's what:

Today, police require reasonable and probable grounds (RPG) to get you to blow into a roadside screening device. If you deny having drunk anything and don't smell of booze, there would be no RPG, so police cannot make you take the test. Not legally.

Next year, with this draconian rule coming into effect, what you say to the police, does not matter: they don't need RPG. You take the test. If you don't, you're looking at administrative suspension and criminal charges for refusing a breathalyzer sample. If you take it and fail, your own evidence, obtained compulsory against your will, will be used to convict you.

Although they say that police still need a "lawful reason" to pull you over in the first place, they don't mention the RIDE festive program. Our courts have said that RIDE does not infringe on your Charter rights. So, guess what? If you get stopped at a RIDE program, you'll be taking the test, whether you want to or not.

I'm all for taking drunk drivers off the road, but this infringement on people's rights is not good for any of us. How is this any different from carding?
Carding is totally different as carding was at discretion of officer based on ethnicity and appearance. RIDE checks and breathalyzer is for all drivers regardless of ethnicity
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 8, 2006
9330 posts
2706 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Micelli_Illuminatti wrote:
Dec 4th, 2018 3:36 pm
This should be front-page news. Because "dear justin" legalized weed, which is not always easy to detect (absent the smell), they also changed the rules regarding driving enforcement laws. Compulsory breath tests for drivers coming to Canada, in the New Year (2019).

What does that mean to the average person? Here's what:

Today, police require reasonable and probable grounds (RPG) to get you to blow into a roadside screening device. If you deny having drunk anything and don't smell of booze, there would be no RPG, so police cannot make you take the test. Not legally.

Next year, with this draconian rule coming into effect, what you say to the police, does not matter: they don't need RPG. You take the test. If you don't, you're looking at administrative suspension and criminal charges for refusing a breathalyzer sample. If you take it and fail, your own evidence, obtained compulsory against your will, will be used to convict you.

Although they say that police still need a "lawful reason" to pull you over in the first place, they don't mention the RIDE festive program. Our courts have said that RIDE does not infringe on your Charter rights. So, guess what? If you get stopped at a RIDE program, you'll be taking the test, whether you want to or not.

I'm all for taking drunk drivers off the road, but this infringement on people's rights is not good for any of us. How is this any different from carding?
Great news. Good move by government. Not even close to carding, but nice try.

Next time when you smoke a fat one or drink, kick back and stay home or take a cab/Uber. There were 16 cases of dui charges laid over this weekend in York region alone. Rules are a bit draconian, but driving under influence is going through the roof.

https://toronto.citynews.ca/2018/12/03/ ... d-driving/
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 23, 2003
7411 posts
1118 upvotes
Gboard2 wrote:
Dec 4th, 2018 5:28 pm
Carding is totally different as carding was at discretion of officer based on ethnicity and appearance. RIDE checks and breathalyzer is for all drivers regardless of ethnicity
There were a ton less murders when carding was a thing. Very odd coincidence.
Jr. Member
Apr 26, 2016
104 posts
110 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Buggy166 wrote:
Dec 4th, 2018 8:06 pm
There were a ton less murders when carding was a thing. Very odd coincidence.
What is your source of reference for this assertion? Would really appreciate stats from reputable sources.

Also, every intelligent person knows that correlation does not imply causation :)
The leprechaun tells me to burn things.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 10, 2015
1880 posts
612 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
I'm all for this too. I've seen people killed and maimed too often by impaired (alcohol and drugs) drivers.
Yes, your driver's license is a privilege. Treat it that way or pay the price.
Diversity is Our Burden
Member
Aug 31, 2010
336 posts
8 upvotes
This is a good thing. I did the drunk drive (very short distance) once and it scared the crap out of me. Got lucky and never did it again. Very glad nobody got hurt at the time (some 20 years back). Too bad though that they don't impose the same harsh rules for texting as looking down for even 3-4 seconds can mean a life is lost. Sadly texting people continue to do it with impunity and the cops are not following through as I have seen cops standing around at construction intersections with people texting right in front of them and when I pointed it out they shrugged it off. I guess MADD doesn't care about it either or they would exert the kind of pressure that brings about change for this as well. http://www.rcinet.ca/en/2018/03/09/text ... l-ontario/
https://www.edgarsnyder.com/car-acciden ... stics.html
General Cell Phone Statistics
The National Safety Council reports that cell phone use while driving leads to 1.6 million crashes each year.
•Nearly 390,000 injuries occur each year from accidents caused by texting while driving.
1 out of every 4 car accidents in the United States is caused by texting and driving.
•Texting while driving is 6x more likely to cause an accident than driving drunk.
•Answering a text takes away your attention for about five seconds. Traveling at 55 mph, that's enough time to travel the length of a football field.
•Texting while driving causes a 400 percent increase in time spent with eyes off the road.
•Of all cell phone related tasks, texting is by far the most dangerous activity.
•94 percent of drivers support a ban on texting while driving.
•74 percent of drivers support a ban on hand-held cell phone use.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jun 26, 2005
8866 posts
1036 upvotes
Toronto
I don't disagree. With the amount of horrible reckless driving I see each and every day I'm all for even stronger rules.

But this is alllll useless why? Because there simply isn't enough enforcement. I see maybe 1 police are every two weeks around my daily commute. While every minute, I see speeders, tail gaters, no signalling, and even people driving against traffic to get ahead of a grid lock. Everyone is on their phone texting away. Completely tinted windows. And recently, shooting WHILE driving. Ridiculous.

Put in speed cameras
Put in red light cameras
These all are self funding anyways

Put more cruisers on the road, stop more drivers. Show people the law is the law.

Until they do this, any law without enforcement is pointless.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jun 26, 2005
8866 posts
1036 upvotes
Toronto
We need level 5 autonomous driving now. Even if it crashes , it's much better than the current human drivers out there today
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
8879 posts
867 upvotes
I'm all for this.
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2001
16633 posts
582 upvotes
Oak Ridges, ON
Another thread backfired on "dear micelli" ... Face With Tears Of Joy

Top