• Last Updated:
  • Apr 30th, 2018 2:20 am
[OP]
Nov 9, 2006
292 posts
18 upvotes

My 15yr Old Daughter Wants To Be an Engineer

We live in Ontario.
She gets 85%+ grades in Math/Science in Grade 9.
What advice can I give her other than keep taking all the Math and Science courses?
Also, and other advice is welcomed IE any extra curricular courses ; bursaries for young women etc.
I have $50k for her in RESP but am afraid it won't be near enough.
36 replies
Apr 3, 2018
133 posts
88 upvotes
Start volunteering. It will give her advantage when competing for COOP placements. No company expects a 1st/2nd year student has any industry experience. But some work experience is alway more desireable than nothing.
Jan 12, 2017
480 posts
175 upvotes
I wouldn't worry too much about that. OSAP will help.

Good that she's interested in maths and sciences. Engineering is a great launch point to almost any career path. Oddly enough, traditional engineering itself as a career is in a pretty sad state in Ontario.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
2190 posts
577 upvotes
Toronto
According to the PEng Ontario, 33% of engineering grads are working in their engineering field. There is a saturation and she will have to do extra to stand apart. Co-Op will be big and taking advantage of programs geared towards women in STEM.

"Engineering" Technician seems to be a better path. Divx on RFD is an engineer that you can PM.
[OP]
Nov 9, 2006
292 posts
18 upvotes
Chickennbeans wrote:
Apr 25th, 2018 9:52 pm
I wouldn't worry too much about that. OSAP will help.

Good that she's interested in maths and sciences. Engineering is a great launch point to almost any career path. Oddly enough, traditional engineering itself as a career is in a pretty sad state in Ontario.
Will OSAP still help if household income is over $130k?
[OP]
Nov 9, 2006
292 posts
18 upvotes
raichu1 wrote:
Apr 25th, 2018 9:54 pm
According to the PEng Ontario, 33% of engineering grads are working in their engineering field. There is a saturation and she will have to do extra to stand apart. Co-Op will be big and taking advantage of programs geared towards women in STEM.

"Engineering" Technician seems to be a better path. Divx on RFD is an engineer that you can PM.
WOW - I am surprised it is so low. O would have thought 80%, not 33%.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6337 posts
1486 upvotes
Umm, what kind of engineer does she want to be?
May 19, 2015
967 posts
380 upvotes
ronatola wrote:
Apr 25th, 2018 10:11 pm
Will OSAP still help if household income is over $130k?
There should be a calculator on the OSAP website (if I remember correctly) to help you estimate... but from friends' experiences their parents income was >100k and didn't get approved for loans (this was more than 5 years ago though)
Zoomer Mobile Customer - $36/month for 4 GB + free phone

Thumbs up if this post helped you 👍🏻☺️
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16510 posts
2181 upvotes
ronatola wrote:
Apr 25th, 2018 8:29 pm
What advice can I give her other than keep taking all the Math and Science courses?
She'll need to boost her marks to get into the top Engineering programs in Ontario (UofT, UW, Queen's, etc.):

From UofT's annual engineering reporting: The mean entering average of incoming Ontario secondary school students was 93.2%, up from 92.4% in the two previous years. McMaster is slightly lower, but the cut off for consideration is "a minimum of high 80s ". Waterloo of course is in the stratosphere. Ryerson is a possibility at 85.7% average or one of the lesser program like Carleton, Lakehead, etc.

Take all math and science course, but also have extra-curricular to round it out. Also start volunteering and participate in the school's robotics and programming teams.

When applying, make sure she takes a co-op program, it really helps the resume upon graduation.

ronatola wrote:
Apr 25th, 2018 10:12 pm
A lot of engineers are not doing traditional engineering per se, but it's still a great degree for the general work place, especially in IT. Engineering degrees also make working in the US easy since it's a TN class.

As for OSAP, $50K RESP should be enough with co-op.
Last edited by coolspot on Apr 25th, 2018 10:59 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
2190 posts
577 upvotes
Toronto
ronatola wrote:
Apr 25th, 2018 10:12 pm
Schools have been handing out degrees like candy same with MBAs. At the same, time employers aren't handing out jobs like candy.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16510 posts
2181 upvotes
raichu1 wrote:
Apr 25th, 2018 11:02 pm
Schools have been handing out degrees like candy same with MBAs. At the same, time employers aren't handing out jobs like candy.
Engineering graduates still make very decent money - better than most other degrees.
Nov 8, 2006
680 posts
146 upvotes
Toronto
1. Find out why she is interested in engineering. Does she even understand what engineering is?
2. Find out what kind of engineering she is into.
3. Find volunteer / co-op placement with technical positions.
4. If she is still interested, practice with internet courses.
5. Learn CAD, project management, communication, etc.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
2190 posts
577 upvotes
Toronto
coolspot wrote:
Apr 25th, 2018 11:02 pm
Engineering graduates still make very decent money - better than most other degrees.
Never said they didn't.
Apr 14, 2017
809 posts
376 upvotes
DT Calgary
Shes a girl, so she already has a leg up. Her marks are good, I wouldn't be worried about that.

Very few engineering graduates end up getting their p.eng knowadays, but it's still better than most degrees.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
18527 posts
3163 upvotes
GTA West
ronatola wrote:
Apr 25th, 2018 8:29 pm
We live in Ontario.
Also, and other advice is welcomed IE any extra curricular courses ; bursaries for young women etc.
I have $50k for her in RESP but am afraid it won't be near enough.
Co-op placements and job shadowing.
There are many branches (electrical, civil, systems, computer, etc.) within engineering schools. Your daughter should get some exposure on what it's really like out there so she can pick the right branch.
What if there were no hypothetical questions?