Automotive

My 2013 Escape finally arrived (warning, long post!)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 26th, 2013 11:32 am
Tags:
None
Feb 20, 2011
260 posts
29 upvotes
garyhudson wrote:
OP, the reason the Escape cannot use the front sensors to do active cruise control, is because those are normal short range radar sensors. Their range probably wouldn't be long enough to be used in such applications. If they did use these, you would basically be on people's arses all the time on the highway.
Thanks Gary, that makes sense. I haven't had a vehicle before with this sensor stuff so didn't realize the limitations. Oh well, something for them to add to next years model I guess. Such is marketing... Cheers!
Feb 20, 2011
260 posts
29 upvotes
kitty wrote: Nice detailed post, OP. I'd like to see an update after 20k, 40k to see how well the vehicle holds up over time.
Will do! Thanks!
Nov 10, 2003
798 posts
261 upvotes
Concord
CalgaryExotics wrote: By leasing you are wasting your money anyhow. After your lease is over you own nothing.
Renting and Leasing are COMPLETELY 2 different things.

When you rent a house for X number of years, you cannot buy the SAME house for less... In a car, you can... hence it is call RESIDUAL.
Assuming leasing and financing are the same interest rate... If you lease first then buy vs Finance from the beginning, the final sum should be very close...
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
7282 posts
1820 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
joudbren wrote: Appreciate the comments and feedback everyone! Vehicles always seem to polarize opinions...

Got some good news today from my Insurance company, the Escape is going to be $300 a year cheaper than my 2011 Subaru Impreza for the exact same coverage so that effectively takes another $25 a month off the new payment. Apparently the collision pricing is a much better rate category for the Escape.

So far so good with 1100 clicks on it already and fuel economy is slowly starting to improve. Down to 11L per 100K combined and pretty confident now that will head under 10L per 100K when broken in. Perfectly acceptable to me considering the performance on tap. BLIS blind spot sensors are turning out to be seriously useful as is the power tailgate. I am finding the backup camera a pain to keep clean though in this winter slop. Cheers!

PS: I've now concluded that the Ford all weather floor mats seriously suck. Too short and don't even cover behind pedals or over dead pedal so carpet is already a mess. Save your money and get the Weathertechs instead. They look to be a much better design and fit.
Glad to hear that the fuel consumption drops over time. I am using 14L/100KM at the moment though I've only used it for like 300KM and haven't drove highways yet.
There's a sucker born every minute.
Deal Addict
Jun 10, 2011
2276 posts
809 upvotes
Etobicoke
joudbren wrote: Not at all but I guess that would definitely be a personal opinion. Mine has the full leather seats which seem to be high quality and are pretty comfortable so far. Some folks don't like the back seat (looks thin) but it seems fine to me. The dash is definitely out there styling-wise but I like it. I'm guessing the styling on the dash might not be for everyone but you'd probably have to see it in person and decide for yourself. The higher end Titanium model for some reason comes standard with a leather/cloth combination seat vs. straight leather. Apparently these combo seats are getting very popular but I don't think they looked as nice as straight leather. It's another $700+ to get the full leather in the Titanium. Weird as leather is actually standard in the lower SEL model. Cheers!
Congrats on your new car OP. I did get a chance last night to check the new Escape. My friend's dad had picked one up for just a bit $31K.
I liked the interior of the car it was not definitely cheap, like some people claim. The seats were pretty comfy. The dash was very nicely put together. The only place I saw cheap plastic was the area around the gear box and around the cupholder console, but there even the high end luxury cars put cheap plastics. The Ford Sync sucks, we tried with my friends to pair his dad's phone and it took a master reset in order for the thing to work.
The car looks very good for the market, I've been in a fully loaded Santa Fe, Tucson, CRV and this looked much better then them inside.
The Fuel Economy is pretty crap, but most of these CUVs promise good FE but they don't deliver.
Enjoy your ride.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2012
1468 posts
68 upvotes
Edmonton
xg3 wrote: Renting and Leasing are COMPLETELY 2 different things.

When you rent a house for X number of years, you cannot buy the SAME house for less... In a car, you can... hence it is call RESIDUAL.
Assuming leasing and financing are the same interest rate... If you lease first then buy vs Finance from the beginning, the final sum should be very close...
Well there is something called rent to own. Renting and Leasing have some common principles. Usually People lease because they cannot afford to buy. Usually people rent a house because the don't have a down payment. Im not sure that most people buy out their vehicles when their lease comes to a close, do they?
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2012
1468 posts
68 upvotes
Edmonton
joudbren wrote: I guess I should say thank you for that astute financial advise especially when you have no idea why I lease or what my (or anyone elses) financial circumstances are. Trust me when I tell you I could buy this car cash in hand but it's a business vehicle for me and as such is a tax write off. Leasing makes that easy for me and I leave that up to my accountant to deal with.

The thread is about the 2013 Ford Escape as was CLEARLY identified in the title of this thread. Please stay on topic or move along if you are not interested in the car. There are plenty of other threads on this board discussing the relative merits of leasing vs. purchasing. Thanks.

Hopefully some folks find this thread interesting if you're curious about the new Escape. I know I'm always searching the internet for personal opinions on purchases when i'm considering making a similar purchase and I genuinely appreciate them. They aren't always accurate and sometimes can get a little over exuberant (like mine) but they still help me and others to create a consensus on the product.

I'm still amazed at the level of interest shown by everyone that has seen the car so far and almost without exception the comments have been very positive. Like I said earlier, this is the first Ford that got my attention in a very long time and others are telling me the same thing and now have it on their test drive list. Hopefully it turns out to be decently reliable and I'll provide feedback on that when I can. If it turns out to be junk, I'll let you know that too. Cheers!
I apologize, I should not have assumed you were leasing for the reasons I thought you were.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2009
2249 posts
1274 upvotes
durrsak wrote: Congrats on your new car OP. I did get a chance last night to check the new Escape. My friend's dad had picked one up for just a bit $31K.
I liked the interior of the car it was not definitely cheap, like some people claim. The seats were pretty comfy. The dash was very nicely put together. The only place I saw cheap plastic was the area around the gear box and around the cupholder console, but there even the high end luxury cars put cheap plastics. The Ford Sync sucks, we tried with my friends to pair his dad's phone and it took a master reset in order for the thing to work.

I don't know what his dealership did but they Synced my phone to my Escape when i made my purchase. I think you can add a secondary phone for whomever may drive the car the most other than yourself. The sync i think overall works wonderfully with my phone and my iPod. The only gripes I have with it is that they have the skip track/hang up phone in the same middle crevice on the wheel. The phone would still stay on and continue the conversation even when they hang up on me. I have a crappy Galaxy Gio pay as you go phone and so i need every precious minute left on my account. I kind of wish they kept the controls on the top right section or kept it for my music controls and the wheel was left for the phone controls alone.
[external link removed]
Feb 20, 2011
260 posts
29 upvotes
CalgaryExotics wrote: I apologize, I should not have assumed you were leasing for the reasons I thought you were.
Hey, no worries and apology accepted. Enjoy your weekend! Cheers!
Feb 20, 2011
260 posts
29 upvotes
number8888 wrote: Glad to hear that the fuel consumption drops over time. I am using 14L/100KM at the moment though I've only used it for like 300KM and haven't drove highways yet.
It's definitely dropping. I did a manual calculation yesterday after another fill and I figured 11.6L per 100. That's after only 1500K showing. The dash was showing 11.5L per 100 so I'm pretty pleased that it's that accurate. Today is showing 10.6L/100 after a quarter tank or so and as mentioned, I'm pretty confident that it will ultimately head just under 10L/100 combined which is where my 2011 2.5 Subaru Impreza was playing. I'm more than happy with that especially considering the performance on tap.

I got caught in a traffic situation yesterday thanks to a meathead that cut me off in his monster truck and my only option was to punch it into the other lane to get out of the mess. The Escape slammed me back into my seat and I was grinning from ear to ear even while cussing out said meathead! :D

Enjoy your new ride! I know I am... :lol:
Feb 20, 2011
260 posts
29 upvotes
Invader Gir wrote: I don't know what his dealership did but they Synced my phone to my Escape when i made my purchase. I think you can add a secondary phone for whomever may drive the car the most other than yourself. The sync i think overall works wonderfully with my phone and my iPod. The only gripes I have with it is that they have the skip track/hang up phone in the same middle crevice on the wheel. The phone would still stay on and continue the conversation even when they hang up on me. I have a crappy Galaxy Gio pay as you go phone and so i need every precious minute left on my account. I kind of wish they kept the controls on the top right section or kept it for my music controls and the wheel was left for the phone controls alone.
Check out www.syncmyride.ca for great info on the sync system. I'm pretty impressed that a) Ford has a website that tracks your software and offers downloads that you can do yourself to update the system and b), they offer a user to user forum on that website for folks to figure out the Sync system and offer tips. There is good and bad comments on the site so kudos to Ford for putting it out there. Cheers!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)