Automotive

My Audio Deck Says "SP OFF" or "SP OEM" - What Does This Mean?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 26th, 2007 9:08 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 16, 2004
14834 posts
1781 upvotes
Toronto

My Audio Deck Says "SP OFF" or "SP OEM" - What Does This Mean?

SP OFF
SP 6/9, etc
SP OEM

What do these mean? I'm looking to run my sub more than anything and there's no information in the manual.

Any ideas?
RedFlagDeals addict
10 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2004
2052 posts
56 upvotes
SP = Speaker?

Speaker OFF = No music
Speaker 6/9 = Speakers using 6"/9"?
Speaker OEM = Standard speaker used on the car?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 16, 2004
14834 posts
1781 upvotes
Toronto
dOuble O wrote:
Oct 24th, 2007 1:48 pm
SP = Speaker?

Speaker OFF = No music
Speaker 6/9 = Speakers using 6"/9"?
Speaker OEM = Standard speaker used on the car?
The speakers work on all the modes and to my ear (just a quick listen), it doesn't sound like there's much of a difference.

Kenwood KDC-X591
RedFlagDeals addict
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2005
1447 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto
DaVibe wrote:
Oct 24th, 2007 3:00 pm
The speakers work on all the modes and to my ear (just a quick listen), it doesn't sound like there's much of a difference.

Kenwood KDC-X591
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/ ... ailed_info
Speaker Settings: The Speaker Setting function tailors the System Q Sound Control settings according to the type of speakers in your vehicle. You may select a Speaker Setting of "SP Off" (flat), "SP OEM" (for OEM factory speaker systems), "SP 6x9/6" (for systems with 6" and 6"x9" speakers), or "SP 5/4" (for systems with 4" and 5" speakers).

Note: The Speaker Setting affects the bass, midrange, and treble values of the System Q presets. The speaker setting should be selected first.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 16, 2004
14834 posts
1781 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for the info ...
Dumb question but what's the "OEM Factory" stand for ... all of them at once?
Interesting to know, since my 6X9's from the factory now sound like crap, maybe I'll turn them off altogether.

Thanks for the update.
RedFlagDeals addict
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2004
2052 posts
56 upvotes
OEM - Original Equipment Manufacturer
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2005
1447 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto
DaVibe wrote:
Oct 24th, 2007 9:34 pm
Thanks for the info ...
Dumb question but what's the "OEM Factory" stand for ... all of them at once?
Interesting to know, since my 6X9's from the factory now sound like crap, maybe I'll turn them off altogether.

Thanks for the update.
OEM factory is the stock speakers your car come with. The SP settings affects the bass, midrange, and treble values. Different size speakers may sound differently so the SP optimizes EQ levels as best it can, I guess.... If you leave as SP off, the EQ levels will probably just be flat by default.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 16, 2004
14834 posts
1781 upvotes
Toronto
I have a sub in the trunk and the factory 6 X 9's in the back which I can now hear are blown ... I want to turn them off altogether or use them very little.
I guess I have to put the SP to another setting OTHER than 6X9 to take the importance OFF of them and onto something else ...

Does THAT make sense?
I've thought about throwing the balance to the front and throwing the sub on, that way they sort of balance themselves out (oddly) ... that's a possibility too.
RedFlagDeals addict