• Last Updated:
  • Feb 11th, 2010 1:23 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2007
3040 posts
365 upvotes

My Blurb Book

So I decided to spend this weekend working on my first picture book (through Blurb). This 80-page book is split into two sections -- one with a focus on Toronto, and another on my travels. It was mainly for friends and family, not really a commercial endeavor. I am really quite proud of it and can't wait to see the hardcopy!

You can preview the entire book on the site below -- I'd love to hear what you think. If you've published a Blurb book, please post your link (I need to steal ideas for future books....muhahahaha).

The First 10K

PS - Sorry for the quasi-spam, but I'm not really expecting any RFDers to purchase the book or anything, just wanted to share. Would also be happy to answer people's questions about using Blurb too.
Neil Ta, Epic Wedding Photographer. My Instagram
6 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2002
2854 posts
132 upvotes
Markham
Not bad for a first book. (Both content and design wise) :razz:

If the didn't know the cities so well, I wouldn't know which pic was taken where. (the headings of my city, my travels, are hard to see...)

I know you put in a glossary, but why not some titles or captions for each pic on their respective page? (just my personal preference)

Did you design the spreads with their blurb software? Or use PS/Indesign?

The left page of Spread 20-21 and the first pic of Spread 76-77 are repeats..

It looks like you got tired of designing and crammed too many pages in to Spreads 76-77 considering the format you used for all the previous spreads.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
1140 posts
128 upvotes
Nice photos and layout! My only suggestion for you is to consider replacing the word "Glossary" with another term, e.g. "Index".

Glossary is meant to provide definitions of specialized terms used in your publication.
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2004
10943 posts
419 upvotes
Markham/Mississauga
SENSEI wrote:
Feb 10th, 2010 11:24 am

I think Blurb is proprietary, you have to use their own software that's free on their website. 95% sure on this..never tried using PS/InDesign for it before myself.

I sometimes have wedding clients look over my designed books for them, and they'd make the necessary changes. Not everyone can afford PS or InDesign, so it's a good thing their software is proprietary to Blurb, and it's free! Just takes 4-8 weeks for delivery that's all..

Agreed that it looks like he got lazy with the later pages as the design layout isn't the same as the first half of the book.. ;)

I really like Blurb, just too bad they raised their prices - it used to be cheaper.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2007
3040 posts
365 upvotes
SENSEI wrote:
Feb 10th, 2010 11:24 am
Not bad for a first book. (Both content and design wise) :razz:

If the didn't know the cities so well, I wouldn't know which pic was taken where. (the headings of my city, my travels, are hard to see...)

I know you put in a glossary, but why not some titles or captions for each pic on their respective page? (just my personal preference)

The left page of Spread 20-21 and the first pic of Spread 76-77 are repeats..

It looks like you got tired of designing and crammed too many pages in to Spreads 76-77 considering the format you used for all the previous spreads.
Thanks for all the notes, especially since I respect your work so much. It was a first attempt. I wasn't going to even include a glossary/index to be honest. I felt it wasn't important.

I think the actual printed version might make the headings and page numbers easier to read.

The shots 20-21 and 76-77 are not repeats, but part of the same sequence. The birds are notably different, as are the tones. As for 76-77...those were added more of a transition to the ending of the book. I wasn't getting sick of formatting, though I didn't want to go past 80 pages.

I did this using Blurb software, it was very user friendly.

lucci wrote:
Feb 10th, 2010 11:26 am
Nice photos and layout! My only suggestion for you is to consider replacing the word "Glossary" with another term, e.g. "Index".

Glossary is meant to provide definitions of specialized terms used in your publication.
BUSTED! *****...oh well, hopefully other people don't have the same grasp of the English language as you :D
Neil Ta, Epic Wedding Photographer. My Instagram
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2002
2854 posts
132 upvotes
Markham
CSAgent wrote:
Feb 10th, 2010 11:33 am
I sometimes have wedding clients look over my designed books for them, and they'd make the necessary changes. Not everyone can afford PS or InDesign, so it's a good thing their software is proprietary to Blurb, and it's free! Just takes 4-8 weeks for delivery that's all..
You let your clients make changes to their own book and design? :confused:
That's something new haha...

Even if my clients can't afford PS/ID, I'll still provide them with JPEG proofs. I find it so much faster to use PS/ID for album design then the Blurb software...although the Blurb one is pretty good compared to other companies out there. I often find that once spreads are made, I tend to want to touchup pics even further so the spread all matches....PITA to do with the blurb software.

Blurb still has extremely cheap pricing for the quality they offer. But I'd don't think I'd use them for wedding albums...still too generic for me :o
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2004
10943 posts
419 upvotes
Markham/Mississauga
SENSEI wrote:
Feb 10th, 2010 6:50 pm
You let your clients make changes to their own book and design? :confused:
That's something new haha...

Even if my clients can't afford PS/ID, I'll still provide them with JPEG proofs. I find it so much faster to use PS/ID for album design then the Blurb software...although the Blurb one is pretty good compared to other companies out there. I often find that once spreads are made, I tend to want to touchup pics even further so the spread all matches....PITA to do with the blurb software.

Blurb still has extremely cheap pricing for the quality they offer. But I'd don't think I'd use them for wedding albums...still too generic for me :o
I suck at designing books, it's not my strong suit. And it's not every client that wants an album, just a few. Last season, about 8 wanted a book album - I have a 40 page book sample that I made for myself last year that I showed those 8 clients. They were fine with the quality by Blurb so I would put it together using the default wedding template from Blurb, send them the file via my server - they would view it and approve it. The most number of changes they would make is adding text, switch a few photos around since the Blurb software is very user friendly.

I'm lucky I haven't met many tech savvy clients, most are very computer illiterate beyond email/browsing.

I guess it is too generic when compared to the other alternatives, but I like to keep it simple - I don't specialize in albums. But I'm willing to learn in the future... :)