• Nov 26th, 2015 2:25 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2008
3583 posts
2275 upvotes
Mississauga
Maybe I missed it, but what kind of car is it?
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2007
3260 posts
909 upvotes
Northern Hemisphere
Don't think it's a Beige Corolla. Perhaps a red one
For wars they come and go, but my soldiers stay eternal.- Tupac
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
1363 posts
336 upvotes
Medicine Hat and SW …
Stronzo1 wrote: I keep a photocopy, I was told that is sufficient for when the 5.0 pull you over and they can not , and tamper with your documents, he origionals are kept safe at home
I notice that police link doesn't say anything about a photocopy, it says to keep the registration and insurance papers in your wallet/purse. Which obviously does not work well if two or more persons operate the same vehicle!
Mar 27, 2013
691 posts
231 upvotes
Toronto
mau_mau wrote: Maybe I missed it, but what kind of car is it?
Honda Civic
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7750 posts
1635 upvotes
Old news, remote locks are not safe.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Mar 31, 2015
183 posts
119 upvotes
New Westminster, BC
2 months ago someone stole my gps cable, my phone car charger, a bottle of advil and my glasses. They left my ray bans and the gps itself. Kinda weird.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19792 posts
3421 upvotes
Woodbridge
srpurdy wrote: What is wrong with his comment? leaving papers like that in the car is not smart.... :\
Just paranoid. I've been leaving it inside since I started driving, bought my first (POS Lemon) car in 1999.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Mar 27, 2013
691 posts
231 upvotes
Toronto
Can they make a false claim with all my information?
Shall I tell my insurance company about this. Would this raise insurance costs?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
9135 posts
7097 upvotes
West GTEH!
mcerts wrote: True.. In future I need to be more careful.

Can they do anything with the info on the ownership and insurance papers?
On both documents your name & address are on it.
Identity-theft possibly?
And they know where you live if they look at the address info - possibly future break-in. This is all guessing. For all we know nothing can happen if the perps don't look at the info.
😎
Sep 5, 2014
555 posts
317 upvotes
Brampton, ON
Stronzo1 wrote: I keep a photocopy, I was told that is sufficient for when the 5.0 pull you over and they can not , and tamper with your documents, he origionals are kept safe at home
actually, I got pulled over speeding and produced a photocopy. He left me off the speeding ticket but charged me with failure to produce. I took it to court and had it thrown out but was still thinking that the charge was better then speeding :)
So a big shout out to York Region Police. I definitely appreciate them and their actions.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8633 posts
2399 upvotes
Mississauga
mcerts wrote: I am just worried if it was a case of identity theft. I am still puzzled on them leaving the GPS, when it was right in front of them
Can they make a false claim with all my information? Shall I tell my insurance company about this (I am afraid this may cause raise in insurance cost)
If I had to guess it was kids that broke into your car. they took your change, left your GPS because they don`t have a market for it and they probably have one for your dash cam.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
18946 posts
10527 upvotes
mcerts wrote: Can they make a false claim with all my information?
Shall I tell my insurance company about this. Would this raise insurance costs?
The risk of making a false claim to an insurance company against the victim who's car you broke into is very high because if it goes wrong you have completely exposed yourself and your identifying information - it would be unlikely any intelligent thief would do this, and if they are unintelligent it is going to be very difficult to prove to an insurance company (as they deal with people lying to them all the time).

My opinion (no stats) is that you are far more likely to be involved in a staged accident because the risk to the criminal is significantly lower.

EDIT: I would be worried though if you kept your drivers license or something inside that could be used to make a fake photo ID of you. Your insurance slip and registration should not be enough to really cause any harm in terms of identity theft. Your name and address are already easily available, other than that there are some proprietary numbers (like policy number and registration number) where the scope of fraud is very limited.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)