Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 22, 2003
2881 posts
1249 upvotes
Vancouver

My cat has cancer...

If you've read my previous posts I just adopted a cat 2 months ago and was looking forward to adopting a buddy cat for her. Last weekend, she fell of the couch while asleep so we brought her to the vet for a checkup. My wife mentioned that she grooms her butt excessively, so the vet took a look and noticed several large lumps in her vaginal area, so she did a biopsy. Today we got news that she has transitional cell carcinoma of the urinary tract, a rare but aggressive form of cancer, especially since she is only 5 years old. Estimated survival time is 4 to 8 months so she doesn't have long to live...obviously devastated by this news. Our vet says to look at the bright side that she managed to find a loving home to spend her last few months in. I had to put down my 18 year old dog last year due to kidney failure and he was at peace, knowing it was his time. With my cat because we've only had her for 2 months I'm afraid that when it's time to put her down, will she know we're doing it because we love her? Or will she think we're betraying her? Crying Face
9 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
7321 posts
4229 upvotes
Edmonton
That sucks so bad... My parents got a rescue dog a few years ago, and didn't find out till later that she was much older than they originally thought, so they didn't have nearly as much time with her as they thought they would.

In your case, your vet is right. You sound like great pet owners, who will do the right thing for your animals. When the time comes to put her down, she'll be with her family, and that's what counts. She'll probably be at peace as well, because she'll know it's time to go. When pet owners refuse to put down their pets, it's often not for the pet's sake. They're in pain and tired at that point, and no longer enjoying life. But it's for the owner's sake, which is understandable. It's just not the right thing for the animals.

Be at peace.

C
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
9616 posts
1722 upvotes
Montréal
That's sucks. Take care.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
4001 posts
837 upvotes
Sask.
I am so very sorry.
Your kitty loves you, and knows you love her and have given her a wonderful home.

Wishing you peace.
Jul 24, 2018
111 posts
57 upvotes
@notenoughsleep

When you have about 6 minutes to spare, perhaps you and your wife will be able to watch the video I'll link below. While it's not directly relevant to your situation, it's a touching video about three unlikely best friends who had to say goodbye when one of them fell ill. Animals sense when their time is near, so all you need to do is keep showing your cat love and compassion, and continue to spoil her :) I doubt very much that she will think anything but appreciation for everything you've done for her, and she'll be glad to have you with her when the day comes. If it makes you feel any better, you may wish to consider a mobile vet in your area when the day comes so that she can be at home when it happens.

Edit: wording
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2012
1749 posts
220 upvotes
Canada
Your cat was very fortunate to have a caring owner like yourself sorry to hear the news
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2007
5753 posts
775 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
I have had to help four cat friends off of this existence.

I did the worst job with the first guy. I couldn’t bear to part with him despite his failing kidneys. I kept him with me for a year of almost daily subcutaneous water treatments at home.

The second guy was faster. My wife had the strength to say we weren’t doing that again. The second guy had a shorter period of difficulty leaving.

The third was quick. He was fine. He started to have bad breath. I took him to the vet who diagnosed a very aggressive mouth cancer. The vet said we could treat him, he would need frequent medications, and the outcome would be the same within a year. I helped him out the same day.

Each of these gave us 16 years of companionship.

Our girl gave us 19 years. When her time came she just stopped drinking water and got weak. I helped her out a day later.

None of them was easy. Each one left earlier than I would have wanted.

With each of them, I remembered the commitment that I made to them at the beginning. That I would always make the best decisions about them with their interests in mind. And that would include the final decision.

I like to think that each of them understood. I hope you will be able to believe that too.
Earthlings, you're evicted.
You are not getting the damage deposit back.

God
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2011
1536 posts
309 upvotes
notenoughsleep wrote:
Sep 14th, 2018 5:08 pm
With my cat because we've only had her for 2 months I'm afraid that when it's time to put her down, will she know we're doing it because we love her? Or will she think we're betraying her? Crying Face
She won't know either. But from her behaviour (grooming her butt excessively) the lumps are obviously hurting her. She will know she's sick. There's not much you can do besides continue doing what you're doing.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2003
2903 posts
131 upvotes
Toronto
Very sorry to hear :(
"The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw." - Jack Handey
References
HeatWare
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
39219 posts
3514 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
awwwhhh man... I love cats.
So sorry to hear that.

Even if she thinks you're betraying her... you're still doing the right thing. It is a thankless thing you're doing...

darn.

I know this is may or may not sound horrible... but since she is dying... is it inhumane to fatten the cat up? You know... go down happy. Kind of like how some people would do a bunch of cocaine and hookers if they knew they have 24 hours to live.
Some steaks, a nice chicken breast, some tuna. that kinda thing. lol