• Feb 3rd, 2018 9:20 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2003
1279 posts
217 upvotes
North York

My cheap DIY frigid winter dog walking leash overglove

I tend to get cold fingers easily and when walking the dog when it's below -10C, my finger tips get painfully numb after walking 30-60 mins. Usually it's my hand that is holding the leash that is worse (and wearing thick mitts is a pain to hold the leash), so I figured I'd try to make my big glove to go over a leash and still keep my hand warm.

I went to Dollarama and got one of those car windshield glove scrapers (nice soft fluffy fleece like material on the inside).

I yanked out the scraper and cut a small hole where the leash would come out of the glove.

I added a few stitches with my needle and thread, so that the insulating fluff wouldn't come out of the freshly cut hole. Then I threaded the leash thru the hole and voila, project done.

Took the dog out for a walk on a cold day and the glove works like a charm, no more frosty fingertips.

I've added a black shoelace with a big metal clip that hangs out the front of the glove, for which I can hang his poop bags on (otherwise, my other hand gets cold carrying the poop bag). Sorry but no photo of it, didn't want to gross you guys out. :)
11 replies
Oct 27, 2004
973 posts
94 upvotes
In all seriousness... you may have hit on something here. I don't know how one would go about it, but this is something I would buy!
Nov 18, 2015
677 posts
452 upvotes
Unionville, ON
Heading to China with a mold as we speak...
Jul 5, 2017
71 posts
22 upvotes
royaljelly wrote:
Jan 29th, 2018 10:35 pm
I tend to get cold fingers easily and when walking the dog when it's below -10C, my finger tips get painfully numb after walking 30-60 mins. Usually it's my hand that is holding the leash that is worse (and wearing thick mitts is a pain to hold the leash), so I figured I'd try to make my big glove to go over a leash and still keep my hand warm.

I went to Dollarama and got one of those car windshield glove scrapers (nice soft fluffy fleece like material on the inside).

I yanked out the scraper and cut a small hole where the leash would come out of the glove.

I added a few stitches with my needle and thread, so that the insulating fluff wouldn't come out of the freshly cut hole. Then I threaded the leash thru the hole and voila, project done.

Took the dog out for a walk on a cold day and the glove works like a charm, no more frosty fingertips.

I've added a black shoelace with a big metal clip that hangs out the front of the glove, for which I can hang his poop bags on (otherwise, my other hand gets cold carrying the poop bag). Sorry but no photo of it, didn't want to gross you guys out. :)
I would suggest you patent it before this goes viral and believe me it will. make in Canada, few friends with beer can do this and start selling dude. you hit on something here
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2003
1486 posts
50 upvotes
How easy is it to pick up your dog's business with these mitts?
...life is nothing more than a journey through the consequences of our actions...

Kingsway Image Instagram || Gallery
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2003
1279 posts
217 upvotes
North York
NLI10D wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2018 10:22 am
How easy is it to pick up your dog's business with these mitts?
You can't pickup the poop with the mitt on. You still have to take the mitt off, pickup poop as usual, then I clip poop back on mitt with my mod attachment, and put mitt back on hand and keep walking. I usually wear a medium thickness glove and it still fits in the mitt with the retractable leash. If you use a regular 6 foot leash, you'll likely have more glove room inside (can even add heat packets to keep the inside toasty)

The mitt is basically like a oven glove, no dexterity whatsoever. It's purely for insulation/wind protection.
Jul 5, 2017
71 posts
22 upvotes
royaljelly wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2018 10:49 am
You can't pickup the poop with the mitt on. You still have to take the mitt off, pickup poop as usual, then I clip poop back on mitt with my mod attachment, and put mitt back on hand and keep walking. I usually wear a medium thickness glove and it still fits in the mitt with the retractable leash. If you use a regular 6 foot leash, you'll likely have more glove room inside (can even add heat packets to keep the inside toasty)

The mitt is basically like a oven glove, no dexterity whatsoever. It's purely for insulation/wind protection.
I'm ready to buy 2 of you! let me know
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2003
1279 posts
217 upvotes
North York
Thanks for the words of encouragements guys, but I've watched enough Dragons Den and Shark Tank to know that I don't have the time or determination to make this into a successful commercial product.

But if anyone else wants to give it a go and hopefully get rich from it, by all means go for it (and send me your final product for testing as a gesture of thanks). :)
Aug 15, 2015
961 posts
109 upvotes
Markham, ON
Keep us updated. I want to know if you will keep using these pair of DIY mitts.

From what you've shown, it looks like it will easily break if the dog pulls too much.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2003
1279 posts
217 upvotes
North York
I've used it since early December, so for 2 months of nearly daily walks of 1hr or more, the glove has held up well. My 65 lb, 1 yr old Airedale pulls hard when he sees another dog, I even have him on a anti-pull harness. When he pulls, all his force goes right to the leash handle and then my hand, so it doesn't really touch the glove at all. Sometimes I might put my free hand on the outside of the glove/leash to give some added power to hold him back when he goes nuts.

I hate using the retractable leash when he pulls hard, but 90% of the time during our walks he's fine with it. The overglove won't work with the 2 way leash that came with the anti-pull harness. I looked carefully at the glove today and so far, the only part that is fraying a bit is where the leash comes out of the glove (the hole that I cut and sewed). It's mostly due to the fact that I was lazy and didn't put enough stitches to reinforce it. I'm sure someone with sewing machine skills could make a more robust stitch around that opening to make it more durable. If you don't have a retractable leash and only use a regular 6" leash, then you can just use the same opening where the car windshield scraper comes out of, and you won't need to cut a new hole.

i wore it today when it was lightly snowing and -5c with some windchill and my hand was too hot (with my regular insulated glove underneath).
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
4047 posts
675 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I use 2 leashes. One around my waist, and the 2nd at the end of the first one.

I loop the first one around my waist like this, through the hand loop:

The 2nd one I use the clip of the first one to form the loop, which allows the hand handle of the 2nd leash to be used.

Looping it around my waist serves two purposes, one I can keep my hands/gloves/mitts in my jacket pockets. Two, it's hands free - my arm doesn't get yanked around and it's easier to control since the dog is trying to pull my centre of gravity.

I do this all seasons. In the summer, it really helps on my runs.
Last edited by enwhyRFD on Feb 3rd, 2018 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2003
1279 posts
217 upvotes
North York
enwhyRFD wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2018 9:10 pm
I use 2 leashes. One around my waist, and the 2nd at the end of the first one.
That's a good idea, I might have to give it a try.