[OP]
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
3832 posts
482 upvotes
Toronto

My dog has smelly ears but no signs of discomfort

As per title.

My shih tzu is getting kinda old (13 years) and the only symptom that i can see is loss of hearing but this may be normal due to old age. When i flip over her ears, it smells. I don't think there's an infection as my dog shows no other symptoms (i.e. scratching or pain). She's her usual self.

Any advice? There ARE some black/dark discolorations on the inner flaps but my vet says its normal yet my groomer says there's an infection.
BST meeting place:
Monday-Fri (9am-5pm): Queen Station or Eaton Centre
Monday-Thurs (after 5:30pm): Sheppard & Yonge
Saturday and Sunday: n/a
13 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4737 posts
2310 upvotes
Edmonton
I think I'd trust my vet more than my groomer... Cause, you know, the vet went to school and shit for that kind of stuff.

But getting a second opinion from another vet isn't a bad idea. My first guess is wax, but I'm not a groomer or a vet.

C
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2012
2428 posts
542 upvotes
Toronto
Yeast.

It's your dogs' diet.
And what do they look like inside? Rusty?
And the dogs' face; and the muzzle, paws and bum. Is the fur discoloured with a rust colour?

I'd love to see a pic of your dogs ears inside. What's built up in there.

Also, Those floppy ears get very warm and wax builds up quickly. I have to clean my Doberman with floppy ears every other day, to keep them from smelling like corn chips!
Aug 1, 2006
70 posts
34 upvotes
Try cleaning them with a mixture of 50% vinegar/50% witch hazel , either sprayed in and wiped out, or just put on a cosmetic pad and wiped around,
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
10423 posts
2110 upvotes
GTA
MrsPotato wrote:
Sep 27th, 2017 6:24 pm
Yeast.

Would be my guess also. Happens with my 5yo Shih Tzu from time to time. The first time we didn't really notice and then she started scratching like hell, as it had spread to her tummy. Had to go on antibiotics to clear it.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Penalty Box
Feb 10, 2007
9772 posts
1025 upvotes
When was the last time you clear the ears ? Chances are it's years of build up
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
3832 posts
482 upvotes
Toronto
sexyj wrote:
Oct 16th, 2017 11:35 am
When was the last time you clear the ears ? Chances are it's years of build up
about every 2 months when we bring her to the groomers. Vet even said groomer does a good job with the ears.
BST meeting place:
Penalty Box
Apr 26, 2017
118 posts
13 upvotes
maybe give it a bath. with something called soap
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
3832 posts
482 upvotes
Toronto
anvil01 wrote:
Oct 18th, 2017 8:27 am
maybe give it a bath. with something called soap
you would put soap in your dog's ears??? :facepalm:
BST meeting place:
Penalty Box
Apr 26, 2017
118 posts
13 upvotes
yesstyle wrote:
Oct 18th, 2017 10:29 am
you would put soap in your dog's ears??? :facepalm:
when you give ur pet a bath you dont put soap in the ears to clean them out?

wow and i thought ppl werent THAT dumb :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
Aug 1, 2006
70 posts
34 upvotes
When you give dog bath, put cotton balls in its ears so as not to get water in them and try not to wet htem. After bath, clean out ears with a mixture of vinegar/witch hazel or just witch hazel. Witch hazel cleans and then evaporates whereas water in ears promotes infections.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
3832 posts
482 upvotes
Toronto
Bull Dog wrote:
Oct 19th, 2017 8:37 pm
When you give dog bath, put cotton balls in its ears so as not to get water in them and try not to wet htem. After bath, clean out ears with a mixture of vinegar/witch hazel or just witch hazel. Witch hazel cleans and then evaporates whereas water in ears promotes infections.
how much of the solution are we talking about? a few drops or flood the ears?
BST meeting place:
Aug 1, 2006
70 posts
34 upvotes
yesstyle wrote:
Oct 20th, 2017 9:20 am
how much of the solution are we talking about? a few drops or flood the ears?
You would need to flood ears if there's an infection, but for regular maintenance you can just put a few drops on a round cosmetic pad and wipe around, or put solution in a spray bottle and spray lightly and wipe out. Most people use a 50/50 strength of vinegar and witch hazel but I find it less irritating to use a 25% vinegar/75% witch hazel formula.