Food & Drink

In my early 30s and I don't like beer or alcohol, is this normal?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 16th, 2015 4:58 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2010
2352 posts
382 upvotes
Toronto
zod wrote: I skipped most of the pages of this thread but thought I would offer my thoughts.

I generally started to drink in later high school (peer pressure, fit in that kind of stuff). The cool thing was to drink beer. I couldn't stand beer. It turns out most of friends were similar. Everyone seemed to try and find a way to like alcohol. Drink ciders, tmove onto beer, then hard alcohol. I think for a lot of people that process is something you do in your younger years. By the time you get well into your 20's you've developed the taste for booze (and which ones you like more than others).

I can't imagine what it would be like if you skipped that process. Some people are pretty straight edge in High School/University. If you skipped over that part to find your self in your 30's without having ever drank much booze I could totally see hating it. I think it tastes bad to a 17 year old trying it out for the first time. It seems to be something you grow a taste for. Then sometimes you simple like something you haven't tried (I'm not a big fan of hard liquor, but I discovered Scotch a few years back... mmmm).

That's my thoughts.

Very good comments, that pretty much sums it up I think!

It is like trying to learn math in your 30s: if you didn't bother learning it from an early age, you will not only fail at it, you will hate it too.
My Signature is empty. My signature space is not for sale. You may not contact me to advertise your RFD-related activities here. I repeat, this signature-space is not for sale, unless it is a ......day
Deal Fanatic
Feb 20, 2006
7575 posts
396 upvotes
Canada
Woodbridge905 wrote: Very good comments, that pretty much sums it up I think!

It is like trying to learn math in your 30s: if you didn't bother learning it from an early age, you will not only fail at it, you will hate it too.
Yup, look at Mayweather Jr. and reading.
He died for me, I live for him
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
12807 posts
3837 upvotes
--
Woodbridge905 wrote: I am in my early 30s and I don't like beer or alcohol, is this normal? Never liked it, don't like it and considering that I am at this age, don't think I ever will...

And when I say I don't like, I mean not at all. Ok, if someone offers it to me or if I am at a party and it is on the table, I won't just reject it completely, but when I do drink it, there is no taste or enjoyment whatsoever.

Meanwhile, as we know, to some or most, drinking is as enjoyable as sex if not more. I see it all around me. People are crazy for drinking and when I tell them I don't like it, they just don't get it. So much so that I think my DNA is lacking a certain gene that makes you like alcohol lol. In a previous cruise vacation we did once, I was offered a package that contained free drinks and I told them I wasn't interested and they didn't believe it... (had to tell them this is nothing to do with religion or anything like that)

As for my immediate family, although we are not crazy drinkers, they still don't hate drinks as much as I do. They will drink one or two bottles of beer with no problem, if not more.

We had a family BBQ recently and while everyone was crazy drinking beer (including the females), I asked for a cold 'coke' instead and they laughed, even though they know me by now. And I told them: "I don't understand how you can ruin your BBQ with a beer and not a coke" which, of course, they found very funny and odd, but I totally meant it. Even at other social events or when we are in a vacation, I can't stand all these drinks that have alcohol in them. I feel like it ruins the drink. Even when they add a small shot of alcohol to a coctail, it completely ruins it and can't drink it anymore.

I am sure I am not the only one out there, but I know it is rare, because I see it all around me. It is like you are born with this love for alcohol, but not me. I just don't have it whatsoever.

Hey, on the bright side, it saves me money and I don't have to worry about ever being drunk and all the negative consequences that come with that :)
It's funny I used to smoke weed a lot and liked it, now I hate it, I used to hate alcohol but like it now but I usually stop at anywhere from 3-6 beers

A friend of mine is the same, doesn't drink, do drugs or anything.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
7136 posts
3738 upvotes
Montreal
Cheap Cat wrote: Agreed. I've never been one to go along with the crowd which is why I don't drink beer (I rarely drink alcohol) or smoke. As long as I can remember, I have always hated smoking and drunks. For people who say it is an acquired taste, I don't understand that. If you don't like something, why would you go to the trouble of acquiring a taste for it. Because everyone else does it???
That's not exactly what "acquired taste" means. Your tastes develop over time. As a baby, most probably hated sour and bitter foods but adults buy lemons and olives all the time.
Deal Addict
Jun 2, 2009
2090 posts
95 upvotes
Toronto
Jimboski wrote: I don't like beer but i'm down for shots.
:arrowu: This guy is going places!

OP probably just hasn't found a drink that appeals to the taste buds yet. Drinking alcohol doesn't always mean drink till you're drunk.
Feb 17, 2008
285 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto
this thread is absolutely stupid!!!!! wtf....what a loser.
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2009
12178 posts
603 upvotes
Toronto
Skully wrote: this thread is absolutely stupid!!!!! wtf....what a loser.
Why bother commenting?

Anyways, too many fake drunks/smokers these days.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19536 posts
2260 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
LostInTruth wrote: Why bother commenting?

Anyways, too many fake drunks/smokers these days.
How do you fake drunk/smoke?
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2008
2891 posts
259 upvotes
Supercooled wrote: How do you fake drunk/smoke?
LOL, good question.
The best way to become ordinary is to follow the advice of ordinary people.
Unless you've actually tried something, your comments are virtually meaningless.
Condemnation before investigation is the highest form of ignorance
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
12990 posts
1471 upvotes
Sibica wrote: LOL, good question.
Fake drunks are the ones who have half a beer and use that as an excuse when they get all mouthy and talk smack.

Fake smokers are the ones who bum a smoke off of you and sit there with it in their hand fake inhaling every minute cause they want to come outside for a bit... but they don't realize you can still come out without a cigarette
----------------------
References:
My HoFo, eBay, HeaT & RFD Feedback! 100% POSITIVE!
Available upon request.
FS: Acer Predator G1-710 Gaming PC
Apr 21, 2013
185 posts
13 upvotes
Grimsby
Woodbridge905 wrote: I am in my early 30s and I don't like beer or alcohol, is this normal?
Yes it is normal. Nothing wrong with it. I used to drink a lot more in my 30s but nowadays I drink once in a while. Maybe twice a month at a function or gathering.

I really don't enjoy drinking anymore, I find I get tired and drowsy after a few beers.
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2009
12178 posts
603 upvotes
Toronto
Siefer999 wrote: Fake drunks are the ones who have half a beer and use that as an excuse when they get all mouthy and talk smack.

Fake smokers are the ones who bum a smoke off of you and sit there with it in their hand fake inhaling every minute cause they want to come outside for a bit... but they don't realize you can still come out without a cigarette
Those are the worst. Too many followers these days. I think it takes more courage not to have a drink and still have a good time, if you really do not like the taste; rather than pretending to fit in.
[QUOTE]I wish there was a way to know you're in the good old days before you've actually left them.[/QUOTE] ~Andy Bernard, The Office (U.S.)