• Oct 1st, 2015 1:04 pm
Tags:
None
Jun 17, 2010
111 posts
17 upvotes
Newmarket

My expensive lesson learned from Roadsport Chysler

I swear all I say is the truth, nothing but the truth.

Background: My family is expanding and my current old car is falling apart, so I was shopping for a 7 seater van. I need to get the car before Oct 5.2015 because it is not worthwhile to repair the old car to pass the emission test for the sticker renewal.

Aug 15.2015. Heard about Roadsport Chysler’s “2015 clearance, keep 2016 old price event” over the Chinese radio ad. Went to the dealership, sales Quinton told me all 2015 Dodge caravan base models were sold, but if I preorder the 2016 one today he would keep the same price even though 2016 will be $1000 more. After about 2.5 hours negotiation, I signed the contract and put in $1500 deposit. Then was told the car should arrive 4-6 weeks. Charles James (business manager) drafted the contract. Until now, I realized 2 major problems with that contract. 1st: 500 kms is the maximum kilometers on delivery date odometer reading which is way high. 2nd: “subject to all Chysler rebates and incentives” clause shown in the middle left of the contract is a big mistake.

Sept 28.2015. About 6 weeks later, still no news, could not reach Quinton until 3rd calls. Good news, car is here and will email me the vin # and balance to pay.

Sept 29.2015. got the email, but balance is $1130 more than contracted price.
Email Quinton:” Hi Quinton, my invoice shows $21226 as amount due on delivery. Please explain why your amount is $1130 more.”
Quinton’s reply:” I do believe that we based our deal on a 2015 grand caravan cvp and then later we changed to a factory 2016 grand caravan. We price protected you from dealership level; therefore, all the discounts are still on from us. However, Chrysler Canada had to change the programs for 2016 models years due to increase in production cost. As a result, the cost of the car had increased for 1000 dollars for 2016. “

My reply:” You offered me this 2016 deal and we signed the contract base on this 2016. I will NOT accept your excuse and this non sense increase in price the day before delivery. “

Then Quinton would not reply to my email.

Called him, he told me to see his manager tomorrow.

Sept 30.2015. 6:45pm. Brought a friend with me to the dealership as a withness. 35 mins later, start meeting with the managers.

First, Gamal Youssef (sales manager). He confirmed the price increase, and said was due to decrease of Chysler’s 2016 rebate of $1000. I refused, he then “generously” offered to split half half the increase with me. I refused, and asked to terminate the contract due to this expected price increase. He then left.

Second, Nick Pastore (sales manager). He said the same price as previous person. I refused, and asked to terminate the contract. He assured me that my $1500 deposit would be gone and legal actions will be taken against me if the contract is terminated, and told me to accept the now $500 (previous $1000) increase. I asked to take my deposit and terminate the contract. He refused. I then asked for the general manager.

Third, Moe Sahakian (general manager). He confirmed the price increase, and gave me 2 final options. 1. Pay additional $500 to take the car home 2. He will after me for way more damages, other than my deposit. He waved the new ownership and told me that now the car is under my name, and if I refused, he will sell the car as used, and will sue me for the price difference plus whatever other fees like storage fees etc. I asked to take my deposit and terminate the contract. He refused and said will send out readiness of delivery notice by registered mail to me tomorrow. And if I don’t pay the addition $500 and pick up the car within 7 days, his legal department people will go after me for more money. I refused and left for home.

So I went home with no car, and $1500 in the water, and potentially more damages(money) to come.

Today is Oct1, now I have to get another caravan from other places BEFORE Oct5.

The whole thing still does not make sense to me. Sales said price increase due to production cost, but managers said increase due to decrease of 2016 Chysler rebate.

I appreciate your recommendations of how to follow up to terminate the contract and get back my money. I really lost trust in Roadsport Chyrsler and will not deal with them ever again.

People I mentioned can be viewed here: http://www.roadsportchrysler.com/contact/our-staff/

I want to upload my invoice, but don't know how.

Thanks

John
5 replies
Apr 13, 2010
659 posts
424 upvotes
Napanee, ON
Contact OMVIC: 1-800-943-6002 x5105 or by email at consumers@omvic.on.ca

https://www.omvic.on.ca/portal/Consumer ... laint.aspx

They say on their site that they don't have the authority to order a dealership to do anything, but they should be able to help you determine if the dealership is in the wrong.
Gabe of Gabe's Hacks
Jun 17, 2010
111 posts
17 upvotes
Newmarket
thanks, will email OMVIC with my contract
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2005
1425 posts
107 upvotes
Did you use credit card for the deposit?
Can't you do a chargeback ?
Jun 17, 2010
111 posts
17 upvotes
Newmarket
good point, will try calling credit card company, thx