• Last Updated:
  • Sep 11th, 2012 1:03 am
Tags:
None
Jul 8, 2012
739 posts
135 upvotes
VANCOUVER
I asked the cutey that worked in the Fido store to do it for me.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2009
1925 posts
80 upvotes
lol im abit drunk, and its close to 1am, cmon now...
Apr 1, 2011
218 posts
13 upvotes
Niagara Falls
My fiancé once thought it was a great idea to surprise me with a full body screen protector for my iPhone. Whoever is out the house carries the phone for emergency purposes. Well it was bubbled all over and for $25 I wanted it off and a refund. Before the screen protector I have been having software issues with the phone so I thought let's make a day of it.

Go to the mall get a refund from the screen protector booth and to the Apple Store for the iPhone and to get a replacement iPod $99. The apple store went great got a FREE replacement iPhone and iPod. Now walked downstairs to the booth with pieces of the screen protector and receipt expecting to get a refund (as per the receipt).

To our surprise we can't get a refund but they will reapply a new one properly for free. Well I opened the box of the new iPhone pealed off the tape and handed it to the guy. He says come back in 10mins so we walk off looking around the mall. Get the iPhone back took a couple steps as I inspect the work and it looks fine. Then I turn on the phone WATERDAMAGED! WTF...

But long story short dude at the booth got fired, got a refund, once again got another replacement iPhone for free. Apple was trying to shut down the booth because I wasn't the only one that had my phone damaged because of the solution they spray on the phone before applying the protector.

This experience has me a Apple fan for life. Also the apple store had to cut back on the amount of free replacements.
Deal Expert
Aug 9, 2004
21622 posts
261 upvotes
Mississauga
ur_funneh wrote:
Aug 29th, 2012 12:53 am
lol im abit drunk, and its close to 1am, cmon now...
On a tues night? What, are you, David Hasselhoff? :)
Thanks for the memories, RFD.
Good-bye.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
19892 posts
3762 upvotes
Poormond Hill
ur_funneh wrote:
Aug 29th, 2012 12:26 am
Just wanted to know what others would do, because I really wasn't expecting to get it for $2.
It seems you got your wish. You went to the flea market hoping to bargain, but couldn't. So you took a gamble of having the seller mess up installing it so you can get it for less.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2010
14433 posts
2032 upvotes
Toronto
sandikosh wrote:
Aug 29th, 2012 4:13 am
It seems you got your wish. You went to the flea market hoping to bargain, but couldn't. So you took a gamble of having the seller mess up installing it so you can get it for less.
Wow are you serious?

For $5 that's a pretty fair price. It is after all a sticker worth 10 cents. I've done screen protector applications plenty of times (always perfect) and I can tell you the labour to do it is worth little to nothing.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
19892 posts
3762 upvotes
Poormond Hill
wilsonlam97 wrote:
Aug 29th, 2012 4:19 am
Wow are you serious?

For $5 that's a pretty fair price. It is after all a sticker worth 10 cents. I've done screen protector applications plenty of times (always perfect) and I can tell you the labour to do it is worth little to nothing.
Who goes to a flea market and pay asking price?
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2010
14433 posts
2032 upvotes
Toronto
sandikosh wrote:
Aug 29th, 2012 4:24 am
Who goes to a flea market and pay asking price?
If it seems fair then why not. Flea markets are about getting a good price, not haggling at every opportunity you get. Sorry for being up and arms mang. I will be nice when I come back after sleeping.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2004
9893 posts
918 upvotes
Brampton
ur_funneh wrote:
Aug 29th, 2012 12:26 am
Just wanted to know what others would do, because I really wasn't expecting to get it for $2.
ur_funneh........
HEATWARE AT 64-0-0. Ebay Feedback 199 and counting. RFD Feedback 54-0-0 and counting.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2006
7567 posts
389 upvotes
Scarborough
wilsonlam97 wrote:
Aug 29th, 2012 12:12 am
As a fellow RFDer I'd do it for free if you provided the materials. I install screen protectors all the time and I get it perfect each time.
Turn off the phone.
Using an ALCOHOL based cleaner, moisten the screen (not soak it!) then moisten the sticky side of the protector
Place protector on screen, place it properly, then using a squeegee (a credit/debit card works well) starting at a bottom corner, work the squeegee to the opposite side, removing excess liquid with a cloth. When you're 100% sure the bottom is on, and not moving, them slowly move up the screen with the squeegee and cloth, removing extra moisture as you go. (DO NOT let moisture sit, as it can seep into the device, and ruin it). Let it sit 5-60 minutes, before using the phone.

HOWEVER, if you want 100% "security", go to the Ghost Armor kiosks in the malls, where for $30 they install (screen only, or full body) with a 100% lifetime replacement guarantee. (no, I don't work for the kiosk... just like their service.)
[external advertising link removed)
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2007
6093 posts
1645 upvotes
_Allan_ wrote:
Aug 29th, 2012 11:06 am
Turn off the phone.
Using an ALCOHOL based cleaner, moisten the screen (not soak it!) then moisten the sticky side of the protector
Place protector on screen, place it properly, then using a squeegee (a credit/debit card works well) starting at a bottom corner, work the squeegee to the opposite side, removing excess liquid with a cloth. When you're 100% sure the bottom is on, and not moving, them slowly move up the screen with the squeegee and cloth, removing extra moisture as you go. (DO NOT let moisture sit, as it can seep into the device, and ruin it). Let it sit 5-60 minutes, before using the phone.

HOWEVER, if you want 100% "security", go to the Ghost Armor kiosks in the malls, where for $30 they install (screen only, or full body) with a 100% lifetime replacement guarantee. (no, I don't work for the kiosk... just like their service.)
Huh, my installation process is even more low tech lol.

1) Use microfibre cloth (slightly dampened) to clean screen.
2) Using a piece of packing tape, pick up any minute pieces of dust that are left on the screen.
3) Once screen is clean, slowly start applying screen protector at one corner and ever so slowly/carefully, continue applying.
4) If bubbles appear, lift up to last point of clean application and clean dust off with tape.
5) Continue until screen protector is on.
6) ...
7) Profit.

I've done this method for many phones and DS Lites. Work great. This one time I totally messed up and dropped the screen protector on the carpet and it was covered in dust. I was about to throw it out but with a piece of masking tape, I managed to get all the dust off and the screen protector was good as new.
Banned
Apr 13, 2009
3874 posts
112 upvotes
Toronto
I'm going to have to agree with the others in the thread as well. This is a flea market. It's pretty much one step up from a garage sale. Now if I were to buy a screen protector at Best Buy or Future Crap and have one of those nerds install it, yes it should be done correctly.

Now onto the topic of screen protectors. Really? I have never had a scratch on any of my phones. Even when I took my Iphone 4 into space with the Virgin Galactic spaceship tour, it was fine. You don't need one. FACT.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2009
1925 posts
80 upvotes
What's with these $0.10 cent wholesale prices? I can't even find one for even close to that on ebay. Can the few who say they are worth pennies show me where to buy them for pennies? kthnx
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
2962 posts
415 upvotes
Markham, ON
wilsonlam97 wrote:
Aug 29th, 2012 4:19 am
Wow are you serious?

Fair price? Are you joking? For $5 you can get about 5-10 sets of screen protectors on eBay with free shipping. I'm not always perfect, so I don't mind paying extra. $5 for a piece of thin piece of plastic is ridiculous, Best Buy is even more of a joke because they charge about $20 for ONE.

I used to apply them on perfectly everytime, but one time I messed up and I only ordered one. I had to wait 3 more weeks for another to come in, and this time I bought a set.

ur_funneh wrote:
Sep 7th, 2012 10:46 pm
What's with these $0.10 cent wholesale prices? I can't even find one for even close to that on ebay. Can the few who say they are worth pennies show me where to buy them for pennies? kthnx
It's called wholesale for a reason. You can't expect a seller to give you such a deal for only a few pieces. You'd have to buy in huge quantities in order to achieve that price, per piece.
AVOID buying dashcams from BlackBoxMyCar (BBMC) Read about their lies and unethical tactics HERE.