• Last Updated:
  • Nov 22nd, 2005 12:59 pm
Tags:
None
Jul 5, 2004
21337 posts
1575 upvotes

My fridge broke and all my food went bad

Yep, fridge broke over night and all of my food has gone bad.
I had tons of meat in the freezer, including steaks, pork chops, hamburgers, ground beef, chicken breasts. It's all gone bad and had to be thrown out.

What a crappy way to start a day.
Toronto Maple Leafs tickets for sale. PM me for details
Share:
18 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2003
4609 posts
72 upvotes
Winnipeg
Is the fridge under warranty? If it is, you might get compensation for food spoilage.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2005
2700 posts
1 upvote
Markham, ON
i feel for you man :S
"Materialism will inevitably produce the kind of society where people know the price of everything, but the value of nothing; where people have a great deal to live on, but very little to live for..." - anon.

Items for sale
Waterloo Engineering Textbooks
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
34260 posts
1458 upvotes
Toronto
I think u could also claim it under house insurance... but your house insurance rates will sky rocket.
    [url=http://tinyurl.com/lbqqav3][size=100][B]
  • Urbanpoet's lottery pool is BACK![/B][/size][/url]
  • 2 Corinthians 5:7 "We Walk By Faith, Not By Sight."
May 28, 2005
314 posts
it went bad overnight??
it should still be cold in the freezer, no?

I've had meat thawing at room temp for 6+ hours, all that meat can't be bad.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
1171 posts
135 upvotes
contrary to popular belief, making a claim through your home insurance does not make it skyrocket
[OP]
Jul 5, 2004
21337 posts
1575 upvotes
awesome-o wrote:it went bad overnight??
it should still be cold in the freezer, no?

I've had meat thawing at room temp for 6+ hours, all that meat can't be bad.
I'm guessing the fridge conked out at some point last evening and I didn't realize it. The light was still working and it sounded like it was running (still does) but it just wasn't cold. Everything felt cold last night before I went to bed, but obviously things take time to warm up.

But yeah, this morning when I woke up, everything was piss warm and all my meat was completely thawed. It wasn't all bad at that point, I probably could have cooked it all up, but whatever.

As for claiming it under insurance, bah. It wasn't enough food to bother claiming anything. I'll just have to go shopping again today.
Toronto Maple Leafs tickets for sale. PM me for details
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
4413 posts
107 upvotes
Toronto
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2002
4014 posts
31 upvotes
camzie wrote:contrary to popular belief, making a claim through your home insurance does not make it skyrocket
Not sure about that. In the period of two months I had a flood in my apartment and my car stolen. The apartment flood took some computer equipment and the car contents had to be claimed under house insurance. It was under my parent's house insurance and in my memory they never made a claim for anything, and this was the first time I had ever claimed anything through insurance. They said if I processed the second claim that they would likey cancel my parent's insurance. Apparently "insurance is supposed to be for *real* emergencies"... wtf anyway, I processed the claims and got my own insurance with a different company. They never did cancel the insurance but I do believe the rates went up.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
34260 posts
1458 upvotes
Toronto
yeah.. usually people only claim insurance when their house burns down or floods.
    [url=http://tinyurl.com/lbqqav3][size=100][B]
  • Urbanpoet's lottery pool is BACK![/B][/size][/url]
  • 2 Corinthians 5:7 "We Walk By Faith, Not By Sight."
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2002
4014 posts
31 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote:yeah.. usually people only claim insurance when their house burns down or floods.
So flooding of my apartment and having a car stolen and destroyed doesn't count?
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
27000 posts
4200 upvotes
time to go vegan
Deal Guru
Mar 17, 2004
11327 posts
4 upvotes
Mountain View, CA
I'm surprised yout food went bad in a span of few hours, especially the frozen ones. Heck, I sometimes thaw or sit a big hunk-o-roast at room temperature for a few hours and it's still fine. Tough luck for you. Hope your day will get better
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2003
6991 posts
57 upvotes
Nepean
look on the bright side you can now go shopping for some elite futuristic fridge :)
× < >