• Oct 22nd, 2018 8:54 pm
[OP]
Jun 23, 2009
184 posts
167 upvotes
Hamilton

My friends Mercedes was off outside, and burst into flames

Pretty messed up story,

My friends 2014 Mercedes-Benz GLK 250 with only 80,000km on the odometer was parked outside her house and randomly at 9:30pm the car caught fire and exploded mainly from the engine bay area.
Incredibly lucky as she just parked the car outside, and not inside the house. She just got the car and it had no mechanical problems, or anything odd happening electrically, its even more concerning the car was off and this happened.

Thankfully the car was not parked inside the house, and the fire department saved the day.... but what the hell...
I would NOT expect a Mercedes Benz to blow up randomly, I doubt she will get another Mercedes again... maybe Toyota/Lexus... and I love Mercedes but this just scared her away.

Last edited by Sonduren on Oct 22nd, 2018 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
37 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
23672 posts
8646 upvotes
Toronto
She should report to MB Canada and transport Canada of the incident as well.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
8363 posts
4598 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
You can't post this, the Hyundai/KIA haters will have one less thing to complain about when they say ONLY Hyundai and KIA cars engines catch fire and explode.

Anyways, kidding aside, report it to Transport Canada.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
10088 posts
2408 upvotes
Markham
Is too early to blame on the manufacture without details. It says she just got the car used. Is anything modified by the 1st owner?

Even no, any car can happen. You are talking about 1 car burnt out of thousands of MB sold in the country. Unless it is a common issue that manufacturer should make a recall.

Otherwise, it is just bias to stay away from one brand because one car catch on fire out of hundreds thousands of others cars are running fine and well.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
6971 posts
3142 upvotes
Kootenays
vkizzle wrote:
Oct 21st, 2018 11:23 am
Arson?
Unlikely. Arson would typically be started in the cab. This looks like the seat of the fire was under the dash (where most happen) and was electrical in nature. A bit hard to tell from the video, though.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
32980 posts
7180 upvotes
Ottawa
Could have been any number of reasons that caused the fire. Without analysis and investigation your presumption that it is a Mercedes issue is wrong. Lots of cars have caught fire for different reasons. It actually happens fairly frequently.
All brands have had this happen. Besides, this was a used car and who knows what has or has not been done to the car.
Life is short......Make sure you spend as much time as possible on the internet arguing with strangers about politics :). Anonymous
Jun 13, 2009
972 posts
207 upvotes
Yeah, nothing random about this. It is a chain of events. Cars have extremely hot components and flammable liquids. Since it was a used car, you don't know the history (I.e cheap aftermarket parts used). All you can hope for is good insurance coverage....
Nov 23, 2016
71 posts
61 upvotes
Did she have a vape or vape battery in the vehicle? Those things are notoriously for spontaneously catching fire in cars when it touches another metal thing.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
4087 posts
1725 upvotes
Toronto
cohenkaplan wrote:
Oct 21st, 2018 1:20 pm
Did she have a vape or vape battery in the vehicle? Those things are notoriously for spontaneously catching fire in cars when it touches another metal thing.
Note 7?
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
10912 posts
10160 upvotes
Oakville
Wow, welcome to planet Earth. Since you're new here, you'll notice that all car brands catch fire and have been doing so ever since cars were invented.
There's a nifty site called "Google" that lets you search the entire planet's information. You'll find that all brands catch fire with some fairly recent news from Hyundai/Kia, BMW, Ferrari, McLaren, Ford and even Mercedes in the past.
There does seem to be an uptick in fire related issues, but I think that's due to higher electrical loads in new cars, combined with high pressure fuel pumps/lines for direct injection vehicles.
Kinda naive of you to seemingly implicate Mercedes on a 5 year old, second owner, used vehicle... as if it should last a lifetime with no issues.
There's no evidence that it's NOT arson. In fact it's entirely plausible that your friend had issues with the Merc and couldn't afford the repair bill, so starting a fire seems like a nice way to unload the vehicle.
Last edited by engineered on Oct 21st, 2018 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.