• Oct 1st, 2009 12:31 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
May 6, 2005
857 posts
10 upvotes

My front door lets too much cold air through

I live in a townhouse (approximately 10 years of age).
My front door lets in entirely way too much air pass. I have tried those draft stoppers but it really applies to the whole door. I think I need to have the door framing looked at. (and a storm door at the front is no option as it violates our townhouse code).

Has anyone else done something similar?
I really don't want to go through another winter feeling that draft.

Cheers and thanks in advance
8 replies
Oct 1, 2008
387 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto, ON
If you don't want to replace your door you can purchase a weatherstrip kit on wood stops that can be nailed on the exterior of the existing frame. You will need to purchase this through a window and door company. The kit is generaly sold for steel frame replacement doors, but works great on existing steel doors. You can also adjust the sweep on the bottom of the door.
[OP]
May 6, 2005
857 posts
10 upvotes
Thanks for the tip.
I'll look into it.
I just wonder if in any cases work needs to be done to the door frame or fitting of the door. In my case it feels like the door and the way it rests in the frame when shut is not as tight as it could be. I'll keep looking into it.
Aug 22, 2003
15539 posts
960 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Go to HD or the like and get magnetic weather stripping if it's a steel door. If the draft is coming from around the trim then remove the trim and use low expansion spray foam to seal it and then reinstall the trim....
Thinking seriously about the 4 S's...Sun, Sand, Surf and ... Booked for Sept in Mexico and booked Samana DR for Jan!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
5004 posts
730 upvotes
Maple
Do you consider getting a storm door? There are nice one that has big glass but it can be opened for some breeze. Getting a storm door for sure will cut back the air going thru. Combine this with previous suggestions will be best.
Nov 4, 2008
411 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto
Contact your townhouse management office. My friend is having her door replaced by her townhouse board. They are not only replacing the door but the whole door frame.
[OP]
May 6, 2005
857 posts
10 upvotes
I'm actually on the board, and we have somewhat of a special situation. We are freehold, but because the builder made our road too narrow, city snow plows can't fit and we pay maintenance fees for our own plowing, hydro for light pole, insurance, etc. We can't put up a storm door in an effort to have uniformity. And our doors are wood, so no magnetic weather stripping.

But thanks for the help everyone.
I'll keep looking into getting this issue resolved.

Cheers :)
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
12998 posts
3782 upvotes
See if you can get one of the fibreglass doors that has a wood texture/finish to it. You'll get a much higher R value out of it (as wood is very poor).

(in addition to fixing the weatherstripping)
Deal Expert
Aug 9, 2004
21622 posts
257 upvotes
Mississauga
Unfortunately, this is the problem with many wood doors.

On the other hand, a friend of mine lives in a >$1M house, at times in the year they cannot use their front door because it swells and wont open. :confused:
Thanks for the memories, RFD.
Good-bye.
× < >