• Last Updated:
  • Sep 4th, 2010 4:18 pm
Tags:
None
Aug 16, 2008
255 posts
7 upvotes

My future, need advice

Alright, I know it's kind of stupid. But I am pretty lost here. I just finished 3rd year at UTSG HBsc with a 3.54 aGPA. I am able to achieve a 3.7 aGPA in my upcoming final year. I have extensively researched graduate/professional programs (Including Msc, MBA, MMPA etc, however information presented by schools are very generic) and now I really have no idea what I wanted to do after undergrad. I don't seem to have a particular interest in anything, all I have in mind is to be able to find work that is not particularly stressful but with good pay. Since I could only ask references for one discipline, I don't really know what programs I should apply( in order to find not stressful work with good pay). Shall I apply for Occupational Therapy? (is my 3.54+3.7 GPA high enough?) or MMPA or MBA accounting related?

Any advice ( General about work or specific) is greatly appreciated
8 replies
Jun 20, 2008
146 posts
4 upvotes
cambridge
This sint the right place to answer your questions. If you listen to someone here tell you what to do you will be miserable in 5 years.

This is cliche, but do what you are interested in. do

dont worry about pay. dont worry about job prospects.
Aug 2, 2009
158 posts
3 upvotes
you gotta figure out what you wanna do

failing that, apply to everything that might be vaguely interesting to you and then see what they tell you during the interview - maybe something will click
Feb 17, 2010
73 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
Since you mentioned occupational therapy, go find an occupational therapist (or other therapists or even social workers) and shadow them for a day to get a feel of what kind of job it is. If you can, try volunteering somewhere for something you're curious about. Talk to some masters students/grads and see what they liked and dislike about their programs/jobs. Have a chat with your professors and see if you can get some opinions or advice from them. Good luck.
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
2219 posts
500 upvotes
There's always a factory that needs someone to screw the heads onto the dolls.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2008
1898 posts
189 upvotes
you gotta find out what you think is fun in terms of work, and work towards that.. that way, your interested in learning, able to gain experience, and move onto your next job.

as long as you think you job is fun, you won't think its stressful. if number crunching isn't your thing, maybe consulting, or programming...
Items For Sale:
Jacket and Shoes
Trades
Deal Guru
Jul 27, 2006
10963 posts
791 upvotes
Scarborough
as people mentioned you have to try it out in order to find out if you like it or not.

it took a friend of mine 3 tries (as in switched programs and even left the country) to go to other programs only to return and work on finishing his BSc and following his new plans.

if all your worried about is pay, who cares about fun and non-stressful jobs because it seems salary is really the only thing that matters anyways.

asking people about their job being stressful is really not gonna give you an answer. I work in clinical research and find my job not too stressful even if i have to work tonnes of extra hours to get a job done. On otherhand, a coworker working less shifts found the job to be absolutely stressful. its a matter of what you can and can't handle.

you can keep searching but you honestly won't know until you find out and I think your starting a bit too late. asking these things should have started at the latest at the end of 2nd year and the start of 3rd year. time flies.

to me....it comes down to passion and hard-work. if you have that, you can keep moving forward and at the end of the day, an enjoyable job is priceless.
Apr 27, 2008
726 posts
19 upvotes
Clickz wrote: Shall I apply for Occupational Therapy? (is my 3.54+3.7 GPA high enough?) or MMPA or MBA accounting related?

Your GPA would be high enough to apply for MMPA / Canadian MBA.

To clarify the differences between MMPA vs MBA: you should only consider MMPA if you want to become a Chartered Accountant. Regardless of what the school tells you or what you read on their website, MMPA is custom-designed for people going after CA. This is the only area where it excels over MBA.

Or if you are interested in management and accounting (sounds like you are), you can consider joint MBA/CMA programs like the one offered at Laurier:
http://www.wlu.ca/page.php?grp_id=36&p= ... __MBA_CFA_

MMPA you will be eligible to get in right after you finish undergrad, but MBA would typically require a minimum of two-year work experience.
Apr 27, 2008
726 posts
19 upvotes
Questionz wrote: as long as you think you job is fun, you won't think its stressful. if number crunching isn't your thing, maybe consulting, or programming...

If you don't like numbers, I really doubt programming is a good fit.