Off Topic Archive

Locked: My G1 Is Going To Expire Soon - Help!

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 27th, 2006 8:36 pm
Tags:
None
Feb 19, 2006
9 posts
toronto

My G1 Is Going To Expire Soon - Help!

hey guys,

i've been told so many different things about the whole driving test and expiry date thing that i'm super confused. i hope you guys can help me out!

my G1 is going to expire at the end of summer (i knew i shouldn't have waited that long to do my road test!) but i'm doing my road test in a few weeks so that i can get my G2.

if i do get my G2, i know that you have to wait at least a year before getting your G. however, my licence expires at the end of summer - does that mean that i'll have to go back to get my G1 all over again?

i had a friend who told me that after she got her G2, they somehow extended her expiry date to a year later so that she could get her G. she had to pay something like $60 for it. i was really lost when she was explaining to me so i'm not sure how accurate this is.

on the notice that i received in the mail, it says that:
"if you have already taken and passed a G1 road test within 12 months before the expiry date, you are not required to take the test again to requalify for your G2 licence. however, you will have to go to a drivetest centre and pay the applicable five-year licensing fee and have your driver's licence validated before the expiry date."

i phoned the customer service line and explained my situation. the women on the line said that IF i do pass the G1 road test to qualify for the G2 licence, i would have to pay $75.00 to renew the five-year licensing fee - and i would have 5 years to get my G.

(i was kind of talking gibberish when i was explaining my situation to her, so i'm not sure if she understood me well.)

can someone let me know how accurate this is? i'm so lost!

thanks in advanced.
Share:
20 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2004
2271 posts
3 upvotes
Mississauga ON
if you get ur g2 before the g1 expires, the g1 will not mean anything anymore. when you get you get ur g2 you have 5 years before it expires and 1 year before ur allowed to take the G test.
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2005
7385 posts
69 upvotes
I think that once the 5-year license is expired, you'll have to go through the process again starting with the G1 test. But the good thing is that you don't have to wait for 1 year between the tests, you can just do them 1 after the other.

The stuff the woman told you on the phone doesn't make any sense to me. Why would you have to wait 5 years to do the G test?
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2005
7385 posts
69 upvotes
demha88 wrote:if you get ur g2 before the g1 expires, the g1 will not mean anything anymore. when you get you get ur g2 you have 5 years before it expires and 1 year before ur allowed to take the G test.
That's not true. The 5 year starts the moment you write the G1 test and continues.
Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2003
1879 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto
What the representative on the phone told you is correct.

After you pass your the G2 Road Test, you will have to renew your license at the end of the summer for $75.

What you are doing is renewing your license the way anyone else would (with a G license). Each license renewal validates your license for five years, after which you will have to you renew your license again if you with to continue to drive.
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2006
4471 posts
24 upvotes
what if you fail the G2 test, can you renew the G1 license for another 5 years (75$ fee)? how long does it take to be able to re-do a G2 test if you failed the first time?
My license expires on July 9, 2006. When I go to book the G2 test online, it says the last date my road test may be taken is: August 20, 2006.
Does that make any sense? Can i still do the road test even if my G1 is expired?
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2005
7385 posts
69 upvotes
When I got my G license 3 years ago, my G2 was about to expire. If I didn't pass that test and my 5 year period expired, they would have granted me 1 temporary license that will expire on the day of the test, but I had to have booked the test before the license expired. I was told that if I didn't pass with the temporary license, I would have had to go back all the way and write the G1 test again. There's no such thing as paying $75 to renew for another 5 years and continue with the G2 license. It was either pass your G test or start over.

The OP's case is different because he doesn't have a G2 license yet. I'm not sure how they do it in that case.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2005
2202 posts
35 upvotes
My brother failed his G the first time within the expiration date. If you fail within g this time, you are given an extension to retake your G license within 6 months (I think).
[OP]
Feb 19, 2006
9 posts
toronto
Bordello wrote:I think that once the 5-year license is expired, you'll have to go through the process again starting with the G1 test. But the good thing is that you don't have to wait for 1 year between the tests, you can just do them 1 after the other.

The stuff the woman told you on the phone doesn't make any sense to me. Why would you have to wait 5 years to do the G test?
see, i thought i would have to go through that whole process again but some other people have said that getting a G2 (and paying the $75.00) will give you another 5 years in which you'll have to get your G.

WHOOPS. i meant, i would have 5 years to get my G.
[OP]
Feb 19, 2006
9 posts
toronto
demha88 wrote:if you get ur g2 before the g1 expires, the g1 will not mean anything anymore. when you get you get ur g2 you have 5 years before it expires and 1 year before ur allowed to take the G test.
yea, this sounds like what the woman said over the phone. i'm hoping it's right!
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2005
1667 posts
just write the G1 test again.
[OP]
Feb 19, 2006
9 posts
toronto
Bordello wrote:That's not true. The 5 year starts the moment you write the G1 test and continues.
that's what i thought but apparently, others have stated differently.
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2006
4471 posts
24 upvotes
Read this FAQ, it'll explain alot.
[OP]
Feb 19, 2006
9 posts
toronto
MadCow wrote:What the representative on the phone told you is correct.

After you pass your the G2 Road Test, you will have to renew your license at the end of the summer for $75.

What you are doing is renewing your license the way anyone else would (with a G license). Each license renewal validates your license for five years, after which you will have to you renew your license again if you with to continue to drive.
i'm hoping that this is correct. i JUST read the back of the statement i received in the mail and it said:

class G1 licence

to retain G1:
- pass knowledgement test and vision test
- pay applicable fees (knowledge test fee, 5 yr licensing)

to obtain G2:
- pass G1 road test
- pay applicable fees (road test, fee, 5 yr licensing)

class G2 licence

to retain G2:
- pass G1 road test
- pay appilcable fees (road test fee, 5 yr licensing)

to obtain G licence
- pass a G2 road test
- pay applicable fees (road test fee and licensing fee)
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2003
3307 posts
19 upvotes
Mississauga
You can renew it. My G2 is expiring sometime in 2k7.
SMSEM v2.6 - Master System/Game Gear/Sega Genesis emulator
2600K-4Ghz|Asus P8P67 PRO|16GB DDR3-1600|HD7950 3GB|Mushkin Enh Eco 2 240GB|1TB|2TB|Creative SB XFi|BD-RW|2x 24" LCD
× < >