Home & Garden

My Home is Dry ... Humidifier Help Needed!

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 11th, 2019 2:28 pm
[OP]
Jul 22, 2015
420 posts
78 upvotes
Ontario

My Home is Dry ... Humidifier Help Needed!

I have a newer home and it is extremely dry. The hardwood floor has even started to separate! I've looked at humidifiers in store and I like the Dyson one (costs approx $500 though). I dont really want to have to buy 4-6 of these things to put throughout my home due to cost and space needed.

Can anyone recommend a humidifier I could use in a 2900 sq foot home. Basement is unfinished so I need it for the main and 2nd floor. Thanks!
12 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2008
1946 posts
457 upvotes
Whitby
Do you have a forced air heating system?
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
1866 posts
341 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
Yes, like the other guy said, you can buy the one compatible with forced air and install it to your furnace. it will greatly healp increase the humitity in your house
Hi
May 13, 2010
88 posts
31 upvotes
As Kryton619 is alluding to, a whole house humidifier installed on your forced air furnace (assuming you have one) is the answer. I just had one installed a week ago, and what a difference! Will be about the same cost (or less) than the Dyson you're looking at, but being on the furnace will humidify the entire house.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
24296 posts
10633 upvotes
Ottawa
A portable humidifier may be too late or not effective, if your floors are separating already.
I agree to looking into a whole house humidifier at this point.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
5849 posts
3023 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
rheimy wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 10:11 am
As Kryton619 is alluding to, a whole house humidifier installed on your forced air furnace (assuming you have one) is the answer. I just had one installed a week ago, and what a difference! Will be about the same cost (or less) than the Dyson you're looking at, but being on the furnace will humidify the entire house.
Agreed. We bought our Honeywell bypass humidifier unit online (from Build.ca) last winter ($181) and paid an HVAC guy to do the install (like $80 or something).
[OP]
Jul 22, 2015
420 posts
78 upvotes
Ontario
kryton619 wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 9:47 am
Do you have a forced air heating system?
Yes, we have forced air heating.
[OP]
Jul 22, 2015
420 posts
78 upvotes
Ontario
rheimy wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 10:11 am
I haven't heard of these. What brand did you get? What should I look for when buying a whole house humidifier?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2005
5215 posts
829 upvotes
The Aprilaire 700m and Honeywell HE360 are popular here. Steam humidifiers work exceptionally well if you don't mind the huge power bills and replacing the $150 steam canister every other year.
↑, ↑, ↓, ↓, ←, →, ←, →, B, A, START

There are no apostrophes in plurals! "I have 1000 posts" = correct. "I have 1000 post's" = incorrect!
Could've, would've, should've. It's simple English, people!
Voila: French, meaning "There it is!" or "Look!" Viola: A medium-sized stringed instrument Wala: An island of Vanuatu.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2008
1946 posts
457 upvotes
Whitby
Acheewawa wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 11:49 am
I haven't heard of these. What brand did you get? What should I look for when buying a whole house humidifier?
I installed the model in the link below on my furnace and it has been working great for the last 5 years. While it is a flow through design, the water pulses to cut down on the amount of waste water. Our house is 2800 sq feet so our homes are of similar size.

https://www.amresupply.com/part/12190657
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8637 posts
7278 upvotes
Oakville
OP, you need to have a whole home humidifier installed. Make sure the installer uses a tee and ball valve and NOT a saddle valve to tap the water line.
I like this Desert Spring rotary unit, as it wastes very little water.
http://www.desertspringproducts.com/des ... rotary.asp

Until then, you can humidify your house by running your shower on a fine mist setting and closing the drain to let the water stay in the tub and leaving the HVAC fan set to ON. You can also leave containers of water around the house to evaporate.
Also make sure your house is sealed up, no open windows, drafty doors, etc.
May 13, 2010
88 posts
31 upvotes
I had an Aprilaire 600m installed. My house is about 2700 sqft including the basement. I didn't do much in the way of research as I have a friend that owns an HVAC company and that was his recommendation. It works well, it brought by humidity up from the high 20s to 40% in no time.
Acheewawa wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 11:49 am