Home & Garden

My Home is Dry ... Humidifier Help Needed!

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 20th, 2019 11:05 pm
Apr 21, 2012
285 posts
46 upvotes
Toronto
I have one of these (Honeywell HE240) and my humidity is really poor - down to 20% according to the nest thermostat, yet when I check it, it appears to be running, this doesn't sound normal does it, is there a way to improve the humidity level?
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2017
1224 posts
97 upvotes
ssj4_ootaku wrote:
Jan 20th, 2019 1:16 pm
On a scale of 1-10...maybe a 5. You get a template to cut the plenum. You do need specific tools to cut the duct work as well as water piping. and need wiring for the digital thermostat. but other than that, its mostly a plug and play

Tools/Items you need

- Duct Cutter
- Copper pipe cutter
- Copper or plastic pipe for water feed
- Wires to connect Unit to Thermostat
- Drain pipe
I have plastic water piping in my 1 year old home. Wonder how I'd install the water feed from a plastic pipe.

From kiji, the prices installed are quite resonable, @ $300 installed for a aprilare 500m. Amazon had the 500m on sale a little while back for $150, now at $250.

My home is 1650 sqft, and benefit of having a larger unit then a aprilare 500?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
5648 posts
1338 upvotes
Whitby
reggyDeal wrote:
Jan 20th, 2019 11:08 pm
I have plastic water piping in my 1 year old home. Wonder how I'd install the water feed from a plastic pipe.

There is a Pex fitting that is a T, there is a valve on the T outlet with a compression fitting the supply line to the humidifier threads onto. Sharkbite has a similar fitting which is push connect.

Your home is 1650, does it also have a 800sq ft basement not included in that 1650?
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2017
1224 posts
97 upvotes
Zamboni wrote:
Jan 21st, 2019 8:15 am
There is a Pex fitting that is a T, there is a valve on the T outlet with a compression fitting the supply line to the humidifier threads onto. Sharkbite has a similar fitting which is push connect.

Your home is 1650, does it also have a 800sq ft basement not included in that 1650?
Yes, but basement is not included in the 1650. Any advantage/disadvantage of having a bigger unit?
May 12, 2003
748 posts
211 upvotes
Aprilaire 500m should be more than sufficient. and $300 installed, I'd go for it.

reggyDeal wrote:
Jan 20th, 2019 11:08 pm

From kiji, the prices installed are quite resonable, @ $300 installed for a aprilare 500m. Amazon had the 500m on sale a little while back for $150, now at $250.

Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
2910 posts
475 upvotes
bugeyedbrit wrote:
Jan 20th, 2019 10:32 pm
I have one of these (Honeywell HE240) and my humidity is really poor - down to 20% according to the nest thermostat, yet when I check it, it appears to be running, this doesn't sound normal does it, is there a way to improve the humidity level?
Are you getting enough water flow and are you on hot water?
Apr 21, 2012
285 posts
46 upvotes
Toronto
JonSnow wrote:
Jan 21st, 2019 3:34 pm
Are you getting enough water flow and are you on hot water?
Its connected to the hot water supply, I just cleaned out the solenoid valve, as there seemed to be a lot of scale in there, but the flow is not great.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
1533 posts
787 upvotes
Toronto
bugeyedbrit wrote:
Jan 20th, 2019 10:32 pm
I have a similar issue. Lennox HCWB2 whole-home humidifier on my furnace - plumbed in with cold water from a saddle valve (I plan to replace it) and a flexible plastic water line. I have the control knob for the unit maxed out in terms of its humidity but my Next on the main floor reports 15%.

I need to get a hygrometer to provide confirmation of the humidity levels in different parts of the house. It's a 3 story + finished basement 100+ year old Toronto semi. HVAC is less than optimal but on the whole it is comfortable and I don't have tons of static discharge going on.
[OP]
Jul 22, 2015
429 posts
78 upvotes
Ontario
engineered wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 5:43 pm
OP, you need to have a whole home humidifier installed. Make sure the installer uses a tee and ball valve and NOT a saddle valve to tap the water line.
I like this Desert Spring rotary unit, as it wastes very little water.
http://www.desertspringproducts.com/des ... rotary.asp

Until then, you can humidify your house by running your shower on a fine mist setting and closing the drain to let the water stay in the tub and leaving the HVAC fan set to ON. You can also leave containers of water around the house to evaporate.
Also make sure your house is sealed up, no open windows, drafty doors, etc.
Hi, what's the advantage of using a tee and ball valve and NOT a saddle valve?
[OP]
Jul 22, 2015
429 posts
78 upvotes
Ontario
t3359 wrote:
Jan 19th, 2019 1:00 pm
I just picked up an Aprilaire 700 digital based on recommendations from the RFD forums. $340-ish off amazon if you’re willing to install it yourself.

bjl
How's this working for you?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
9185 posts
8011 upvotes
Oakville
Acheewawa wrote:
Feb 10th, 2019 7:50 pm
Saddle valve is ONLY used because it's cheap and easy to install. They're prone to leak, don't close well (if at all). Ball valves are much more reliable.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
15944 posts
1349 upvotes
Thornhill
Acheewawa wrote:
Feb 10th, 2019 7:52 pm
How's this working for you?
It was sitting by the front door for two weeks and I just recently starting installing it. Just been busy with other things. Done everything except for hook up to the thermostat. So far, self install is quite easy.

So unfortunately, I can’t answer your question yet.

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
15944 posts
1349 upvotes
Thornhill
Acheewawa wrote:
Feb 10th, 2019 7:50 pm
Actually, went out of my way to do this today. Home Depot also only had shark bite versions (I don’t trust anything but soldered) so I had no choice but to go with the tee and separate ball valve. The install requires a few compression fittings as well, but no choice there.

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
Dec 19, 2010
713 posts
200 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
anyone have any recommended HVAC contractors to install one?
[OP]
Jul 22, 2015
429 posts
78 upvotes
Ontario
So here's a dumb question..I know nothing about humidifiers sooooo...What would be the benefit to having an "automatic" versus "manual" control on a humidifier? I do not need any wi-fi capabilities since I won't use it.

I'm looking at these 2 models:

Aprilaire Whole-House Humidifier with Manual Control
Aprilaire Automatic Whole House Power Furnace Humidifier