Automotive

My Hyundai dealership closed. I bought oil for life so now I'm supposed to service my car at their Honda location?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 21st, 2017 11:41 am
Apr 15, 2009
241 posts
157 upvotes
Vancouver

My Hyundai dealership closed. I bought oil for life so now I'm supposed to service my car at their Honda location?

I have a 2013 Hyundai Elantra with 80k on it. Bought oil for life with the car. My dealership, Destination Hyundai closed a month ago and their website says to go to their Honda location to service my car. Is it going to be a bad idea servicing my car at Honda? As in they won't know enough about the car when issues arise? Any way Hyundai can transfer my oil for life service to a Hyundai dealership? Or do you think this isn't a problem at all and I should just service my car at Honda from now on. Thank you.
21 replies
Oct 1, 2009
662 posts
325 upvotes
West coast
Probably the same owners. If it's a free oil change at the honda dealershipdealership then just then m do it. I know i will
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15620 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Hyundai probably didn't sell you the free oil changes for life... it's something that the dealer did as part of being the Destination Auto Group. So, I doubt Hyundai would even know it was offered to you let alone that you brought one.

As for servicing, if you are that nervous about it, take it to Honda only for the oil changes and everything else to another Hyundai dealership if that's what you want to do. Oil changes are very simple regular maintenance so it's hard to screw it up but of course some people still do.
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2004
1335 posts
25 upvotes
This actually seems like the dealership doing you a solid. They could easily have just walked away from these commitments- good that they are offering a nearby alternative.
Why is nobody on RFD accountable for their actions???
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
As long as they honor your deal, what is the problem?
As for service (as opposed to oil changes), I would seek out a Hyundai dealership.
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Banned
Oct 17, 2016
378 posts
134 upvotes
Oshawa, Ontario
hazedragon45 wrote: I have a 2013 Hyundai Elantra with 80k on it. Bought oil for life with the car. My dealership, Destination Hyundai closed a month ago and their website says to go to their Honda location to service my car. Is it going to be a bad idea servicing my car at Honda? As in they won't know enough about the car when issues arise? Any way Hyundai can transfer my oil for life service to a Hyundai dealership? Or do you think this isn't a problem at all and I should just service my car at Honda from now on. Thank you.
Did you attempt to pickup the phone and call Hyundai Canada?

They (Hyundai Canada) should give you a corr CT answer ... not here.

Their number should be in the Owners Manual or the documents of your purchase ... get your VIN number ready in case they ask for it.
Mitsubishi Lancer RULES.
Deal Guru
Aug 15, 2015
10497 posts
7631 upvotes
ON
Gloaming wrote: This actually seems like the dealership doing you a solid. They could easily have just walked away from these commitments- good that they are offering a nearby alternative.
They can't walk away as easily as you make it seem unless they went bankrupt.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15620 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
SellKijijiOshawa wrote: Did you attempt to pickup the phone and call Hyundai Canada?

They (Hyundai Canada) should give you a corr CT answer ... not here.

Their number should be in the Owners Manual or the documents of your purchase ... get your VIN number ready in case they ask for it.
That's only if it's an official Hyundai product and not a dealership offer. The original bill of sale might be a better source of the truth.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21248 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
There's no danger getting your car's oil changed at a Honda dealership. It's so easy to do that many people do it in their own driveway.
This is a good example why people should avoid pre-buying service at a shop/dealer. If they didn't have other dealerships and were completely bankrupt then you could be completely out of your paid service.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
dilligafeh wrote: They can't walk away as easily as you make it seem unless they went bankrupt.
Sure they can. The business is closed.
The fact a Honda dealer will honor the free oil changes is great but, they did not need to do that.
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
18946 posts
10527 upvotes
I would personally call the Honda dealership and determine if they will honour your oil change for life agreement. Do this before you go in for your oil change because you do not want to deal with them trying to charge you for the oil change and refusing to return your vehicle until you pay for their service (legal or not, some do this).

The lifetime oil changes are such a changing beast as dealership learn how much money they can lose from people that ONLY use it for oil changes - I bought mine 5 years ago and our dealership has gone through several changes such as requiring people to perform ALL of the recommended maintenance at the dealership. Because this was in my agreement I am not bound to it, but they obviously tried to hold me to it. My concern would be what the new dealership would try to hold you to when they transfer the agreement, and whether they would be able to find an original copy of your sales agreement that outlines what you agreed to when purchasing it.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12400 posts
4937 upvotes
Toronto
How much the oil for life cost you and how long exactly is it good for? Aslong as you own the car?
I wonder if it is really a super good deal, otherwise why would you pay upfront on or oil changes?
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
18946 posts
10527 upvotes
MP3_SKY wrote: How much the oil for life cost you and how long exactly is it good for? Aslong as you own the car?
I wonder if it is really a super good deal, otherwise why would you pay upfront on or oil changes?
When I was car shopping the general condition was the oil change for life was for as long as you owned the vehicle. It was around $500, one time cost. You were able to take the vehicle in every 3 months for an oil change / inspection. Even if you are doing the oil change yourself, it is paid for within 5 years (20 oil changes). Which is why, as someone who has always changed their own oil, I went for it.

Now the dealers are changing the model to force you to perform your scheduled maintenance there, otherwise they will not honour the free oil changes. I assume a lot of people were just getting the oil change and nothing else, which means they are losing money in the long term. The point of the oil changes is to get you into their service bay where they can perform other service - such as air filter change, tire rotation, etc. that does not cost a lot individually and are items most people skip.
Banned
Oct 17, 2016
378 posts
134 upvotes
Oshawa, Ontario
engineered wrote: There's no danger getting your car's oil changed at a Honda dealership. It's so easy to do that many people do it in their own driveway.
This is a good example why people should avoid pre-buying service at a shop/dealer. If they didn't have other dealerships and were completely bankrupt then you could be completely out of your paid service.
I do all oil changes myself .. even in the winter. It's easy.
Mitsubishi Lancer RULES.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2004
3802 posts
1276 upvotes
Too bad. Now you have to pay for oil changes. I hope you didn't buy your car because of free oil changes.
Dec 6, 2015
55 posts
27 upvotes
Etobicoke, ON
Either way I wouldn't worry too much about it. At 80k, that Hyundai is way past its life expectancy
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2008
3396 posts
648 upvotes
416 REAL T-D0T not 9…
hazedragon45 wrote: I have a 2013 Hyundai Elantra with 80k on it. ***Bought oil for life with the car.***My dealership, Destination Hyundai closed a month ago and their website says to go to their Honda location to service my car. Is it going to be a bad idea servicing my car at Honda? As in they won't know enough about the car when issues arise? Any way Hyundai can transfer my oil for life service to a Hyundai dealership? Or do you think this isn't a problem at all and I should just service my car at Honda from now on. Thank you.
romsan04 wrote: Too bad. Now you have to pay for oil changes. I hope you didn't buy your car because of free oil changes.
Reading comprehension is a learned skill it would seem.
[Signature removed due to rule violation]
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
3259 posts
3285 upvotes
Have to say sounds like you got a really good deal out of this OP. Especially with the dealership closing they could have said too bad life sucks. So ya good people if they're willing to keep you with free oil changes at the Honda one.
RFD is love. RFD is life. I wish I had an RFDer for a wife.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2009
3991 posts
1127 upvotes
Toronto
TrevorK wrote: I would personally call the Honda dealership and determine if they will honour your oil change for life agreement. Do this before you go in for your oil change because you do not want to deal with them trying to charge you for the oil change and refusing to return your vehicle until you pay for their service (legal or not, some do this).
this

i would call first. just because the bankrupt dealer website says "to go to their Honda location to service my car" does not necessary mean that your oil change for life will still be honored.
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2011
2526 posts
3056 upvotes
Toronto
chroma_cg wrote: this

i would call first. just because the bankrupt dealer website says "to go to their Honda location to service my car" does not necessary mean that your oil change for life will still be honored.
x2

Call and confirm prior to dropping off your vehicle for the oil change... If you don't, there is a good chance you'll end up paying or fighting for your free program.

The information bank stored at dealers is massive, and swapping it from one dealer to another is chaotic. I would be surprised if they had records of your free oil change program already on file without you calling to confirm / add the notes.
2013 Wins - $1320 - Woohoo!