Computers & Electronics

My i7 5930k is now bad. How do I proceed for warranty?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 8th, 2018 8:42 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
5454 posts
3665 upvotes
North York

My i7 5930k is now bad. How do I proceed for warranty?

My i7 5930k had been running fine for a couple years.
Suddenly 1 day (last Nov), the computer shut down. And since then, when powered on, it'd just freeze at Windows (10) booting screen. Occasionally it would go a bit further to the logon screen, but then BSOD.

Tried to reinstall Windows, most of the time, it'd just freeze at the same Windows installation initialization screen. And again, occasionally, it'd let me finish the installation. But once finished installation, and restarted, it would not let me pass the Windows booting screen - still freezing every single time.

In summary, I have not been able to get into Windows AT ALL.

Things I have tried:
-2 motherboards: ASUS Rampage V, ASRock X99 Taichi (updated to latest Bios, reverted to the last 3-5 stable Bios on each motherboard)
-Different Rams, different ram speeds, different slots, different configurations - 1 stick, 2 sticks, etc
-Different video cards, gtx 980, gtx 1060, gtx 1070, gtx 1080, even my old old gtx 260
-Different storage: NVMe (2), regular SSD (4), even tried on normal mechanical drives
-Diffrent power supplies

I don't think there is anything else I have not tested. I have been doing all sort of tests I can possibly think of since Christmas and still can't figure out why. Please let me know if you have another idea for testing.

So now I am thinking of getting this CPU back to warranty. How is the process on this? I don't have the receipt anymore (its more than 2 years ago).
41 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
2832 posts
1907 upvotes
If you do get a new processor, make sure you hang on to the old one so you'll get your share of the class action lawsuit settlement from Intel when the dust settles over Meltdown and Spectre. :)
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
5454 posts
3665 upvotes
North York
Exp315 wrote:
Jan 10th, 2018 8:04 pm
If you do get a new processor, make sure you hang on to the old one so you'll get your share of the class action lawsuit settlement from Intel when the dust settles over Meltdown and Spectre. :)
I'd want a working processor first. I am trying to do an RMA with Intel right now.
For that class action lawsuit, I have a few old processors i5 2400, i5 2500k, i7 3700, i5 4460, i5 4770. Also a few newer 6400, 6700
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
3177 posts
1143 upvotes
Only if intel asks for proof, should you aks them to use the manufacturing date for this cpu. They will have the serial number matched with a manufacturing date on their database, which is fine. I'm surprised you managed to get a 5xxx for desktop as these are so rare. I don't recall this being sold in Toronto.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
5454 posts
3665 upvotes
North York
badOne wrote:
Jan 10th, 2018 8:27 pm
Only if intel asks for proof, should you aks them to use the manufacturing date for this cpu. They will have the serial number matched with a manufacturing date on their database, which is fine. I'm surprised you managed to get a 5xxx for desktop as these are so rare. I don't recall this being sold in Toronto.
For the past couple years, most of my computer parts and electronics have been from US. A lot cheaper, and most of the time, no tax, with occasional 5%.
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2010
1291 posts
546 upvotes
GTA
badOne wrote:
Canada Computers sold them for a bit, few years back. Exact same model. Seems to be still up on their website, but not sure if they are actually able to get it via Special Order or if its been discontinued.

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_ ... _id=073930
Jan 10, 2017
925 posts
386 upvotes
GTA
What were the blue screen error codes? Those actually help too
Information Security Analyst
---
Fido $15/3GB + voip.ms $1/M + 3cx PBX voip push client $0 + Google Server vps $0 = $16/Month voip solution with no battery drain.
Thread
Feb 14, 2009
990 posts
329 upvotes
konsensei wrote:
Jan 10th, 2018 7:45 pm
Please let me know if you have another idea for testing.

Just ideas...
Bad installation media... USB, DVD...
Other Windows 8.1, older W10 distribution...
Linux, Fedora, Ubuntu....
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
5454 posts
3665 upvotes
North York
MadCanadian wrote:
Jan 10th, 2018 10:11 pm
What were the blue screen error codes? Those actually help too
Rarely that it gets to the logon screen and BSOD, but when it does "WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR".
I've looked up on this, it's mostly said to be due to OC, but I haven't done that.
tequilla wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 7:07 am
Just ideas...
Bad installation media... USB, DVD...
Other Windows 8.1, older W10 distribution...
Linux, Fedora, Ubuntu....
I have tried with 2 USB sticks with different versions of Windows 10. Both behave the same, freeze at initialization screen, and on some rare occasion, let me finish installing Windows without a hiccup, just to freeze again at Windows boot screen.
And these sticks are working perfectly fine on some other machines.

I was thinking I am just using this computer as a Windows 10 computer, not really looking to change OS.
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
18910 posts
4025 upvotes
Thornhill
If you do send it in, make sure to take photos/video of you packaging it, and note that any employee name and number that contacts you. My RMA got 'damaged' in shipping and they shipped it back. When I went to claim insurance at Canada Post, they couldn't do it because they couldn't reach anyone from Intel that worked on my RMA. It took 2 months, but still nothing. The shipping address was just to Intel's factory/warehouses in Tennesse, and I did not get a contact at all.

Sucks, that I paid almost $70 for 2-day shipping and insurance. I got nothing in the end, AND paid for postage.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
5454 posts
3665 upvotes
North York
coriolis wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 9:56 am
If you do send it in, make sure to take photos/video of you packaging it, and note that any employee name and number that contacts you. My RMA got 'damaged' in shipping and they shipped it back. When I went to claim insurance at Canada Post, they couldn't do it because they couldn't reach anyone from Intel that worked on my RMA. It took 2 months, but still nothing. The shipping address was just to Intel's factory/warehouses in Tennesse, and I did not get a contact at all.

Sucks, that I paid almost $70 for 2-day shipping and insurance. I got nothing in the end, AND paid for postage.
O dang, that sounds stupid. I opened a ticket last night, got an email today from a 'Diego - Intel Technical Support', asked me to clear CMOS battery (DUH?!?).
Also asked me to call back/leave my phone number and they'd call at a convenient time.

So what "damages" happened to your RMA? How did you package it? How did Intel claim it was "damaged"?
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
22901 posts
3259 upvotes
badOne wrote:
This isn't a 5xxx "for desktop". Those would be Broadwell CPUs and you're right they were incredibly rare and not really even sold in Canada.

This is a 5930K, Haswell-E, an HEDT-class CPU and was pretty easy to get and common/widely available as far as HEDT CPUs go.

Anyway Intel warranty is 3 years and only on retail box CPUs (OEM CPUs are only warrantied through the vendor), so as long as OP satisfies those requirements they should be able to do an RMA with Intel. It's quite rare for a CPU to actually "go bad" but it's not unheard of.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
5454 posts
3665 upvotes
North York
coriolis wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 9:56 am

ES_Revenge wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 3:03 pm
This isn't a 5xxx "for desktop". Those would be Broadwell CPUs and you're right they were incredibly rare and not really even sold in Canada.

This is a 5930K, Haswell-E, an HEDT-class CPU and was pretty easy to get and common/widely available as far as HEDT CPUs go.

Anyway Intel warranty is 3 years and only on retail box CPUs (OEM CPUs are only warrantied through the vendor), so as long as OP satisfies those requirements they should be able to do an RMA with Intel. It's quite rare for a CPU to actually "go bad" but it's not unheard of.
Got an email from Intel telling me to send back the CPU. However there is 1 point in the email that sounds a little unreasonable to me
Only boxed processors are accepted for replacement. Since the FPO can align to both boxed and tray units, upon receipt of your returned processor(s), the depot will validate if your processor is eligible for replacement based on the ATPO.
Is this the original box that they are talking about? Who keeps such a box?
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
3177 posts
1143 upvotes
I do, but I'm a nut case who even wants to keep the original manual and even shipping box in grade A shape :D
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2010
1291 posts
546 upvotes
GTA
konsensei wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 4:17 pm
Is this the original box that they are talking about? Who keeps such a box?
badOne wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 5:05 pm
I do, but I'm a nut case who even wants to keep the original manual and even shipping box in grade A shape :D
Same here. Fits inside the mobo box. I keep it just in case for these purpose. I trash the boxes when I trash the computer. I wish I had kept some vintage boxes of computers from the past, those would have been nice to see, or even remember the extact hardware I had :(, I only have the boxes from my last generation build from 07-08, hard to believe I didnt upgrade for 6 years.