Computers & Electronics

My i7 5930k is now bad. How do I proceed for warranty?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 8th, 2018 8:42 am
Deal Fanatic
Mar 6, 2005
5588 posts
679 upvotes
konsensei wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 4:17 pm
Got an email from Intel telling me to send back the CPU. However there is 1 point in the email that sounds a little unreasonable to me

Is this the original box that they are talking about? Who keeps such a box?
If you don’t have the box it’s also on the CPU itself but not in plain text. It’s kinda like a QR code so they can still tell w/o the original box.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... ssors.html
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
5075 posts
3161 upvotes
North York
badOne wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 5:05 pm
I do, but I'm a nut case who even wants to keep the original manual and even shipping box in grade A shape :D
heyyahblah wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 5:38 pm
Same here. Fits inside the mobo box. I keep it just in case for these purpose. I trash the boxes when I trash the computer. I wish I had kept some vintage boxes of computers from the past, those would have been nice to see, or even remember the extact hardware I had :(, I only have the boxes from my last generation build from 07-08, hard to believe I didnt upgrade for 6 years.
I can't keep every box. I have 7 desktops. If I had kept every single box for every single component, I'd never have enough room for anything.

CPU boxes are usually the first ones that I throw out.This is my first ever cpu that's gone bad. I do keep some boxes but for things that are easy to go bad like mobo, gpu or psu. But cpu?
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2010
1019 posts
351 upvotes
GTA
konsensei wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 5:46 pm
I can't keep every box. I have 7 desktops. If I had kept every single box for every single component, I'd never have enough room for anything.

CPU boxes are usually the first ones that I throw out.This is my first ever cpu that's gone bad. I do keep some boxes but for things that are easy to go bad like mobo, gpu or psu. But cpu?
If you have that many, of course its understandable, but I mean if you dump out all those cartons inside the motherboard box, I can fit the cpu box in there, the plastic ram module cases, cables, manuals, etc. The only boxes that are an eye sore to keep are the PSU boxes (bulky), video card, and the case box is obviously a must toss, its too big,. But if space is tight its understandable as well. Worst case for the CPU box, always best to cut out the UPC and at least keep the tray.

Surprised that your CPU died. I hope when you RMA it and you get a new one back your problems go away, I am curious to know if your CPU did actually go bad or if it was another piece of hardware. Hopefully solve the mystery. Let us know.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
2264 posts
704 upvotes
all he had to do was fold the box and it'll fit anywhere. But I share what he said - cpu dying is so rare. Only seen 2 cases on RFD, this is the 3rd.
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2010
1019 posts
351 upvotes
GTA
badOne wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 7:17 pm
all he had to do was fold the box and it'll fit anywhere. But I share what he said - cpu dying is so rare. Only seen 2 cases on RFD, this is the 3rd.
all he had to do was fold the box and it'll fit anywhere.

me: i'm been doing it wrong for years.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
5075 posts
3161 upvotes
North York
tkyoshi wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 5:41 pm
If you don’t have the box it’s also on the CPU itself but not in plain text. It’s kinda like a QR code so they can still tell w/o the original box.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... ssors.html
No, I have the number. It's just in their instructions for RMA, ONLY boxed processor will be accepted, from what I understood. And I don't have this.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
5075 posts
3161 upvotes
North York
heyyahblah wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 5:55 pm
If you have that many, of course its understandable, but I mean if you dump out all those cartons inside the motherboard box, I can fit the cpu box in there, the plastic ram module cases, cables, manuals, etc. The only boxes that are an eye sore to keep are the PSU boxes (bulky), video card, and the case box is obviously a must toss, its too big,. But if space is tight its understandable as well. Worst case for the CPU box, always best to cut out the UPC and at least keep the tray.

Surprised that your CPU died. I hope when you RMA it and you get a new one back your problems go away, I am curious to know if your CPU did actually go bad or if it was another piece of hardware. Hopefully solve the mystery. Let us know.
badOne wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 7:17 pm
This is my very first one as well. Over the years, I have built so many computers, never once had I got a bad CPU, AMD or Intel. The only parts that died on me before I upgraded were PSU, a couple HDDs and 1 gpu.
That's why I said if I were to throw out boxes, the CPU boxes would definitely go first, because I had never seen 1 failed.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
2264 posts
704 upvotes
konsensei wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 9:09 pm
This is my very first one as well. Over the years, I have built so many computers, never once had I got a bad CPU, AMD or Intel. The only parts that died on me before I upgraded were PSU, a couple HDDs and 1 gpu.
That's why I said if I were to throw out boxes, the CPU boxes would definitely go first, because I had never seen 1 failed.
Bought with credit card? Intel has 3 years, and CC will add an additional year.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
5075 posts
3161 upvotes
North York
badOne wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 9:24 pm
Bought with credit card? Intel has 3 years, and CC will add an additional year.
i already checked with the ATPO, my CPU is good until April 2020.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
2264 posts
704 upvotes
konsensei wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 9:34 pm
i already checked with the ATPO, my CPU is good until April 2020.
In that case, if intel refuses then you'll have to wait until May 1st, 2020 to attempt to claim a warranty on the credit card. Something to think about... Then after the cc gives you cash for the full amount, you can go buy something else. Maybe an AMD :D
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
27504 posts
3495 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
konsensei wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 4:17 pm
Is this the original box that they are talking about? Who keeps such a box?
They’re not asking for the original box.

They’re telling you that they only accept returns on retail boxed products. If it is not a retail product, it’s an OEM or tray processor and not eligible for return.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
8245 posts
1520 upvotes
London
I do keep all cpu original box because I don't usually use the stock fan. Reminds me years ago, shops used to sell oem cpu (tray), cheaper but much less warranty period than boxed one. I used to buy from a shop (can't remember the name now and they were no longer in business) when I was living in Markham, the place is near Denison/Woodbine (along Woodbine) if memory serves me right, I bought my Celeron 300A oem there.

For OP, one last try is to download Ubuntu and try to install it to see if it gives you the same error. https://www.ubuntu.com/
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
5075 posts
3161 upvotes
North York
Gee wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 6:25 am

They’re not asking for the original box.

They’re telling you that they only accept returns on retail boxed products. If it is not a retail product, it’s an OEM or tray processor and not eligible for return.
Thanks, double checked with my SN and mine should be good to go.
apvm wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 7:36 am
I do keep all cpu original box because I don't usually use the stock fan. Reminds me years ago, shops used to sell oem cpu (tray), cheaper but much less warranty period than boxed one. I used to buy from a shop (can't remember the name now and they were no longer in business) when I was living in Markham, the place is near Denison/Woodbine (along Woodbine) if memory serves me right, I bought my Celeron 300A oem there.

For OP, one last try is to download Ubuntu and try to install it to see if it gives you the same error. https://www.ubuntu.com/
I'll try. And IF, there's no error, then what is the cause?
I probably don't mind sending back the CPU, i am already playing with i7 7800x
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
8245 posts
1520 upvotes
London
konsensei wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 8:50 am
I'll try. And IF, there's no error, then what is the cause?
I probably don't mind sending back the CPU, i am already playing with i7 7800x
If there is no error then you know it is not your cpu and likely windows media or some odd drivers that is preventing you from installing windows.